New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A few months ago I drove a friends new Ferrari 488 Spyder. 650 Hp and with all of the goodies. Crazy great car, but....here's the thing of it...nowhere near where I live ( or for that matter anybody else in the US) is there a place where one could really use this car. Drives spectacularly with enough power to blast by anything, yet...I was always afraid of bottoming out or hitting one of the giant potholes that our local authorities think are cool to gaze upon. The huge Ford F250 is what everyone wants these days..( no darn pothole need apply, LOl) and sure enough that's what my local roads are designed for....yours too??

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lots of potholes here. No surprise given it rains almost all year round. It's the reason I believe that when it comes to luxury cars, Mercedes and Rang Rover are so popular here. Our speed limit is also ludicrous. Perfect for the 1950s, not for todays cars, even budget 1.6 liter compacts.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
yesterday at the dealership we took in trade a 2 week old Tesla Model 3 with 1000 miles on it. according to my sales manager, the guy hated it and just wanted out.

maybe an outlier, and maybe not. but it happened.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
yesterday at the dealership we took in trade a 2 week old Tesla Model 3 with 1000 miles on it. according to my sales manager, the guy hated it and just wanted out.

Here's the thing, with ANY other car ( except maybe a Ferrari) if the guy was to do that, he would walk away with about $10K less in his pocket! With the model 3, I doubt that is what happened?? I would think your dealership would be only too happy the guy did this, LOL. I suspect that you should be able to add quite a nice markup for a model 3 with instant delivery!!!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Here's the thing, with ANY other car ( except maybe a Ferrari) if the guy was to do that, he would walk away with about $10K less in his pocket! With the model 3, I doubt that is what happened?? I would think your dealership would be only too happy the guy did this, LOL. I suspect that you should be able to add quite a nice markup for a model 3 with instant delivery!!!

not exactly sure, but we might have re-sold the Model 3 yesterday a couple hours after we took it in, although I never got confirmation. many of the people who buy Honda's from us every day are on the Model 3 list. no doubt it's remarkable how successful Tesla is right now in our market.

but will the product turn out to fulfill expectations? stay tuned.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Looks like a nightmare car, this is a really annoying couple but gives you some insight why he hated hated it. Some funny highlights when this annoying couple want to be honest and politically correct towards what looks like a POS car;

"People complain about wind noise but it's quieter because of engine", don't want to say poor build quality

"When it does play it the sound is phenomenal";) but they ignore that most of the time it doesn't play or it's buzzing when it does.

This is my favorite one when she says (starting minute 15:18) "Its glitchy, this Tesla's been in the shop a lot of times, a lot! Now it's not as bad as it could because they take such good care of you like just anyone......" Yes moron :p;) they have too because you can dump the car back on them with so many issues.

Are you stuck with servicing this car when you sell it or is it Tesla's problem?

david

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Looks like a nightmare car, this is a really annoying couple but gives you some insight why he hated hated it. Some funny highlights when this annoying couple want to be honest and politically correct towards what looks like a POS car;

"People complain about wind noise but it's quieter because of engine", don't want to say poor build quality

"When it does play it the sound is phenomenal";) but they ignore that most of the time it doesn't play or it's buzzing when it does.

This is my favorite one when she says (starting minute 15:18) "Its glitchy, this Tesla's been in the shop a lot of times, a lot! Now it's not as bad as it could because they take such good care of you like just anyone......" Yes moron :p;) they have too because you can dump the car back on them with so many issues.

Are you stuck with servicing this car when you sell it or is it Tesla's problem?

david

when we sell a car still under factory warranty our 'fitness for merchantability' liability is very limited. this is related to 'implied warranties' sellers are held to.

in plain English; yes, we are off the hook on cars still under warranty unless they are damaged or abused (mostly by lack of maintenance) in some way where those warranties are in doubt.

might the standard for what is 'abuse' be different for Tesla? I suppose I might find out.:rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
not exactly sure, but we might have re-sold the Model 3 yesterday a couple hours after we took it in, although I never got confirmation. many of the people who buy Honda's from us every day are on the Model 3 list. no doubt it's remarkable how successful Tesla is right now in our market.

but will the product turn out to fulfill expectations? stay tuned.

They just delivered, finally as promised!
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/29/tesla-q2-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

That's for the Model 3. The Model S looks way much cooler.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

This is one reason why I'm not an early adopter. To risky. Wait for 2 years and they will get all the bugs out, like my model 3. It was probably a lemon anyway, built by new hires right after Elon fired many people....

Steve N.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing