New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mike

what you forget is that Tesla owners don't buy them for the race course so the reality will always stand that the Tesla from a standing stop will snuff your car, mine, Bruce's, Christian's etc. The other reality is that Tesla owners don't care. It's the furthest thing from their minds

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike

what you forget is that Tesla owners don't buy them for the race course so the reality will always stand that the Tesla from a standing stop will snuff your car, mine, Bruce's, Christian's etc. The other reality is that Tesla owners don't care. It's the furthest thing from their minds

Steve,

I agree. but then trying to use an only marginally relevant 0-60 time to somehow relate them to performance super cars is a real stretch. so don't go there.

and you are completely wrong on the Tesla 'snuffing' supercars. the fastest Tesla can do a once only 0-60 time that equals the Porsche Turbo which can do it all day long. the Model 3 gets into the same under 4 second 0-60 time range as my car or many other similar cars.

they are 'one trick' toys in performance vernacular.

they are wonderful sophisticated cruisers and I'm not knocking them as great products.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike the only ones who are making a big thing about the 0-60 stars are the guys like you and I who have the big muscle cars

and the simple minded media.......who love 'fastest'.....'biggest'......'most expensive'.......and care little for real truth. which is what started this thread.

interestingly this morning as I'm responding in this thread (and without me mentioning what I was doing) my wife commented about an article she saw about how the Tesla was the fastest production car. and my wife never would normally mention something like that. it's all about hitching onto the news cycle.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I own a 730 HP V12 Ferrari and I'm watching Tesla with great interest and appreciation. Any time a "disruptive innovator" enters a market, good things happen for everyone. Like it or not the days of the internal combustion engine are coming to an end. Time and good engineering will take what we have today from battery powered cars and eventually turn it into something awesome that even Ferrari guys and gals will love. Will I miss the roar of a V12? Yes but I'll get over it if the car is lightning quick, neutral handling and gorgeously designed. I miss vinyl records and tube amps but I don't buy them because the follow on products appeal to me more.

The evolution of the electric motor has begun. Until now very little has changed in the past century. Give it 10 years and the size, weight, torque, efficiency et al will be orders of magnitude improved. All the super car marques will wean their customers off of ICE's and onto electric by offering hybrids first then eventually full blow electric only. The legacy guys (like me) who love the sound and rumbles of the big engines will all be in retirement homes driving walkers by this time so we will be irrelevant. The next generation having grown up with electric cars will obsess over them. Maybe even high end audio and electric cars will converge! You can reproduce the sound of a V12 in 124bit resolution and pipe it into the cockpit to please the old school crowd.

Anyway, Bravo Tesla for going where no one has gone before. Elon Musk is an alien come to earth to save us from ourselves.

Rant concluded.
Cincy

Steve Williams

Electric cars may be fast off the line....but they have no legs and no soul. Nothing excites me more than driving a car that sounds like a hi-end electric golf cart.

I own a 730 HP V12 Ferrari and I'm watching Tesla with great interest and appreciation. Any time a "disruptive innovator" enters a market, good things happen for everyone. Like it or not the days of the internal combustion engine are coming to an end. Time and good engineering will take what we have today from battery powered cars and eventually turn it into something awesome that even Ferrari guys and gals will love. Will I miss the roar of a V12? Yes but I'll get over it if the car is lightning quick, neutral handling and gorgeously designed. I miss vinyl records and tube amps but I don't buy them because the follow on products appeal to me more.

The evolution of the electric motor has begun. Until now very little has changed in the past century. Give it 10 years and the size, weight, torque, efficiency et al will be orders of magnitude improved. All the super car marques will wean their customers off of ICE's and onto electric by offering hybrids first then eventually full blow electric only. The legacy guys (like me) who love the sound and rumbles of the big engines will all be in retirement homes driving walkers by this time so we will be irrelevant. The next generation having grown up with electric cars will obsess over them. Maybe even high end audio and electric cars will converge! You can reproduce the sound of a V12 in 124bit resolution and pipe it into the cockpit to please the old school crowd.

Anyway, Bravo Tesla for going where no one has gone before. Elon Musk is an alien come to earth to save us from ourselves.

Rant concluded.
Cincy

Right on Mr Kotter

Steve Williams

The other thing that you are forgetting Mike is that the Model S is a Sedan. Yours is a 2 door roadster which is meant for racing.

Cincy is right on. The ICE is on it's way out. IIRC Ferrari, BMW and Porsche have entered the electric market so what are you going to do when these companies stop producing an ICE. The bottom line is Elon Musk is a true visionary who is not only years ahead in the R and D of the electric battery but also has the huge infrastructure across the country for free fill ups based on his majority ownership in Solar City.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Why does anyone need a car the does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds?
It's interesting how many professional race care drivers use family sedans and pick-ups as their daily drives

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The other thing that you are forgetting Mike is that the Model S is a Sedan. Yours is a 2 door roadster which is meant for racing.

mine is not a 2 door roadster.....with limited real world application.

today I'm on a vacation......4 day road trip with my wife in the Porsche. it's a GT with a front trunk and quite a bit of room (nominally 2 rear seats but would only fit children) behind the front seats. even a shelf above the motor below the rear window. we have lots of soft sided bags and a large case for my wife in the front trunk. I could see traveling cross country in this. the reason I did not get a GT4 Caymen was the livability of the 991 series 911 inside. it's a workable car to live with. and the seats are amazingly comfortable. my wife loves riding in it and no complaints from her on packing restrictions for the trip.

and yet it's a 1.2 g handler and 3.7 0-60 and 188 mph vehicle. and likely built to the highest fit and finish of any car out there. and personally I love how it looks.

lots of people use a 911 as a daily driver.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . All the super car marques will wean their customers off of ICE's and onto electric by offering hybrids first . . .

+1

Who would not want a La Ferrari or a 918?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Drag stripping takes its toll on any car.. Petrol, hybrid, or hybrid... You drag race Porsche, a Ferrari, whatever to do 0-60 in less than 4 secs and you will eventually wear out your clutch, your brakes, your tires and in many cases your engine.. Your Porche or any sports car can't do it "all day" without breaking something...as for the trip to the outlet after ad rag race... Same trip to the gas station.. Cars like the Ferrari, MB AMGs... MIleage of those cars under pedal to the metal-style driving may be 0.5 MPG. :)... Even under normal driving they likely remain under 10 MPG... Much is said about the 300 miles autonomy of aTesla S... What about that of any Ferari? Would they go 300 miles under normal driving? Just asking ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Cars like the Ferrari, MB AMGs... MIleage of those cars under pedal to the metal-style driving may be 0.5 MPG. :)... Even under normal driving they likely remain under 10 MPG... Much is said about the 300 miles autonomy of aTesla S... What about that of any Ferari? Would they go 300 miles under normal driving? Just asking ...

THAT is a very fair question! My 360 has a bigger gas tank than the SL550 but driving around town the 360 will not go for 300 miles on one tank of gas.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
THAT is a very fair question! My 360 has a bigger gas tank than the SL550 but driving around town the 360 will not go for 300 miles on one tank of gas.

There you go!.. You would go the full300 miles with the Tesla S... Or go for much less but still a respectable autonomy having smoked some super cars a couple of times while doing the groceries :D

Steve Williams

BTW, lest we all forget, the very first Tesla marketed was the Roadster a 2 car edition that was so ahead of its time that there was not the market for it yet as it couldn't compete with similar roadsters and ICE's

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
More like a tourer. A fast one.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Happy day. I bought back my Imola Red e46 M3. I sorely missed driving a stick. My buddy who bought it from me kept really good care of it. All I can think of changing are the tires, pedals and foot rest. Well maybe the suspension mounts will be due in a year or two. I might get a set from Turner MS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing