New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I didn't say owners of super-fast sports cars aren't responsible drivers, but the car's capabilities can't be safely explored on the street, and if you do it's probably going to be a felony charge, or maybe you'll be responsible for injuring or killing someone else. Very few owners actually take their car to the track and even fewer have advanced driving skills that would enable them to drive the car near it's limit at all. This all adds up to making very little sense to me, it seems like a waste to have a car with capabilities that are never actually used and a driver without the skills to do so either. .

This is why when you do buy an AMG or other high-end car, they pay for a track day using their cars. I will be attending the AMG Driving Academy in Dec. Then I can exploit the full potential of an AMG! Get it out of my system!!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'd much rather fill up the AMG in 5 minutes as opposed to hours in a Tesla. Time is money!!

Actually about 20 minutes at one of their charging stations. Still pretty long, though

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Swappable battery makes it much more viable for people with schedules... The world isn't so relaxed for everyone that they can sit around charging all the time. Plus it's better than some enormous Bill for swapping out an old dead one... And with luck will allow new better batteries to be inserted by the user.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I got hit by a lady running a red light last week and it looks like my WRX is totaled. After test drives I think the STI is going to be my next car, so I gotta eat some crow over my previous comments. :) It's huge overkill for a street car, but it's just amazing to drive. The current WRX is very good but feels inadequate vs the STI. In the past generation of WRX/STI I didn't feel like there was this much of a difference. Maybe in the next few years I'll get a Tesla for daily driving and keep the STI for track use. Gotta sell more cables! ;)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I got hit by a lady running a red light last week and it looks like my WRX is totaled. After test drives I think the STI is going to be my next car, so I gotta eat some crow over my previous comments. :) It's huge overkill for a street car, but it's just amazing to drive. The current WRX is very good but feels inadequate vs the STI. In the past generation of WRX/STI I didn't feel like there was this much of a difference. Maybe in the next few years I'll get a Tesla for daily driving and keep the STI for track use. Gotta sell more cables! ;)

Sorry to hear this. You'll definitely have to post pic of your new ride though!!

Be safe out there!!!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry to hear this. You'll definitely have to post pic of your new ride though!!

Be safe out there!!!

Thanks, it was my first ever accident and I hope the last! The woman who hit me was distracted, most likely by a cellphone. Ran a red light and didn't even see me until the very last second and hardly slowed down at all before hitting me. She hit centered on the driver's side front wheel going around 35 mph and caused me a minor concussion/whiplash and a sore shoulder. I don't think people take driving seriously enough... we need to enforce cellphone in car laws more effectively.

I hope the insurance / new car buy goes smoothly, until then I'm driving a Hyundai Sonata rental! :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
NTSB: Tesla self-driving car motorist ignored warnings ? Seven (7) times

Tesla's Autopilot chief out just six months after leaving Apple

1. A self-driving car, like Tesla, is not 100% meant to not operate the steering wheel when the automated voice tells you to take manual charge control.
In that fatal crash in Florida (May 2016), the driver was told seven times to take control of the steering wheel, which seven times he ignored.
Who's fault, the car or the driver? Rely on the car when the car tells you to grab the wheel, don't ignore his warnings. That's how I see it, that's how it was deducted by expert analysts.

2. That guy from Apple (ex-Apple after 11 years), Chris Lattner doesn't see in Tesla what fits his goal in life. He's now looking for a new job.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Be safe out there!!!

I did end up with an STi, exactly the same car and same color as the one posted above. It ended up being good timing, the dealer wanted to get rid of '16s, it was the end of the month and I got a '16 with 600 miles on it for $3k under blue book + the 1st owner put about $6k in extras in to the car. He was a 70 y/o guy and his family objected to the car so he returned it after about 6 month of ownership and only 600 miles.

I currently have about 7500 miles on it and am very happy with it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Beta testing a new Tesla with your life???:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM5z0dW60KE

The answer to his question @ the end of his video is a resounding and definite NO.

It's like we give you the best ride of your life but @ the risk of losing it...duh.
Or, we'll put you inside a trailer without water and AC, as a smuggled Mexican!

Get a Toyota Camry instead, or a higher end Bugatti. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing