New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Joe, you are correct: https://electrek.co/2017/07/26/tesla-model-3-cost-california-incentives/

• Latest: http://bgr.com/2017/07/26/tesla-model-3-release-date-details/
_____

I don't know if some of you feel like I do: Sounds like Beta drivers to me. I'll sure keep both eyes open ....

Joe Whip said:
The 3 starts at $35,000. Japanese reliability? All car makers produce cars with issues. As for speed, the Tesla goes as high as 155 mph. This is meaningless to me as I would never, ever approach that. However, the quickness and instant acceleration is very important, especially on roads like the Pa and NJ Turnpikes, where you never know what will happen ahead of you. It has come in handy already for me,

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
yeah, but at the expense of handling and weight. neither is Tesla's strength .

0-60 times, which is Tesla's marketing point, don't particularly impress me anymore - i mean, a 2018 Mustang GT can do that now under 4 seconds for 35k.

That said, I like the Model S a lot - its quite the looker. My bigger issues with Tesla are QC and reliability.

Not really true. The low battery placement make this car have the lowest centre if gravity out there. A dream on twisty mountain roads...porsche killer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not really true. The low battery placement make this car have the lowest centre if gravity out there. A dream on twisty mountain roads...porsche killer.

...except for the weight. The figure 8 time on Head2Head was good but not Porsche like.

Still, in all honesty, if we didn't have killer traffic here, I'd want a Tesla.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
http://insideevs.com/expected-tesla-model-s-fails-lap-nurburgring-full-power-video/

"but unfortunately the car went into a reduced power mode about 3 minutes in due to excess battery heat (at least, that’s my guess).”

for reference; the new Honda Civic 'Type R' lapped at 7:43.8 fully stock.

most respectable ICE cars would beat the Tesla at any sort of sustained lively driving. it's a stop light queen and that's about it.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I guess it is amazing that I can drive my car from the western suburbs of Philly to Manhattan and make it back with no issues at all doing at least 70 which is the speed limit in PA and at least 65 on the NJ Turnpike in a few hours.Lord knows traffic moves much faster than that on those roads. Tremendous control and quickness and smooth and quiet too. Even better, the car doesn't catch on fire or turn over on corners. Geez.... I will say this, I will never buy another gas car. I can't wait to trade the E350 in when the model 3 arrives in 2018 or 19.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
full disclosure; I'm biased against Tesla.

I manage a car dealership and been in the car selling business for 43 years.

when the government gets into the car business (no other way to describe it) and competes with me and eliminates the car dealer that pisses me off.

let private industry do that if they like with their own money.

I'd love to see how long Tesla could exist without the public teat.

that said; the car succeeds doing what it was designed to do. whether I care about that design direction or not is another matter.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I knew that Mike. I will say Elon Musk has put a ton of his own money into Tesla. I am not aware of public money being invested in the company. The public money comes into play at the buyer end with tax credits for the people buying them. It helps, but these are still expensive cars. They are not giving them away. There is a real demand for such a product. That is why Aston Martin is getting in the game, along with VW, BMW, Volvo, Renault, Nissan, Chevy. They have created a new market for electric cars, which I think is a good thing. BTW, the federal tax credit expires once Tesla sells 200,000 cars in the US. So it should be gone by the end of next year. As for the dealer system, I am not wedded to it. There are pros and cons to it. In 20 years, it may be gone. Look at retail in general as a result of the internet. Time moves on, things change. Look at Schiit. No dealers, buy direct. Saves money. The car industry will adapt or time will pass them by. Btw, without the public teat as you say, after the financial collapse, a good chunk of the auto industry, dealer network, parts suppliers etc. would be gone. Food for thought.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I knew that Mike. I will say Elon Musk has put a ton of his own money into Tesla. I am not aware of public money being invested in the company. The public money comes into play at the buyer end with tax credits for the people buying them. It helps, but these are still expensive cars. They are not giving them away. There is a real demand for such a product. That is why Aston Martin is getting in the game, along with VW, BMW, Volvo, Renault, Nissan, Chevy. They have created a new market for electric cars, which I think is a good thing. BTW, the federal tax credit expires once Tesla sells 200,000 cars in the US. So it should be gone by the end of next year. As for the dealer system, I am not wedded to it. There are pros and cons to it. In 20 years, it may be gone. Look at retail in general as a result of the internet. Time moves on, things change. Look at Schiit. No dealers, buy direct. Saves money. The car industry will adapt or time will pass them by. Btw, without the public teat as you say, after the financial collapse, a good chunk of the auto industry, dealer network, parts suppliers etc. would be gone. Food for thought.
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA)

NasdaqGS - NasdaqGS Delayed Price. Currency in USD

334.46-9.39 (-2.73%)At close: 4:00PM EDT

334.80 0.34 (0.10%)
After hours: 7:59PM EDT

Previous Close343.85
Open346.00
Bid334.80 x 100
Ask335.30 x 100
Day's Range326.29 - 347.50
52 Week Range178.19 - 386.99
Volume8,302,405
Avg. Volume7,965,368

Market Cap54.94B
Beta1.12
PE Ratio (TTM)-70.13
EPS (TTM)-4.77
Earnings DateAug 2, 2017
Dividend & YieldN/A (N/A)
Ex-Dividend DateN/A
1y Target Est302.56

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2009/06/22/daily33.html

they did pay it back later.....

and then there is all the federal tax credits and various state tax credits.

Tesla played the system that existed. but I don't like it.

this is not the right place to debate the manufacturer-franchised dealer business model either from the standpoint of the consumer or manufacturer.

not true about the auto biz needing the public teat. that was GM and Chrysler only; not that significant then or now. without those two the industry would have simply adjusted and those cars would still have been built, parts would have been made, etc., etc. I'm neutral about all that stuff. that was self inflicted by all the legacy costs added onto the normal expense to build cars that those companies had to carry......those made it harder and harder to compete and when a little downturn happened they folded right up. it was politically expedient to do the bail out. but at least those were companies that already had a work force and presence. for the Government to fund new products to compete with the current industry is a painful thing to watch if you are in the industry.

it's not rocket science to make a $100,000 electric car when you are not doing it with your own money, and you get all those tax credits. I guess we will find out soon what those cars will really need to cost for Tesla to stay afloat. in 2-3 years we can look back on this thread and see what happened.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm not convinced an electric car that costs 6-figures is doing the environment any favors either. In terms of EROEI, or Energy Return On Energy Invested + environmental impacts of the materials used to build the car's motors, magnets and batteries, it's difficult to claim any advantage vs ICEs. If you compare a Tesla to a basic small car that gets 30+ mpg I'd be willing to bet the impacts of the small car are actually far less.

Also, as mentioned in the link below, it's likely a large majority of pollution from ICEs comes from a very small percentage of cars that with damaged or improperly tuned motors. Modern ICEs produce practically zero emissions besides CO2.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/unclean-at-any-speed

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/12794/h...npriced-consequences-of-energy-production-and

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing