New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
Short of taking it to Bonneville I am not sure where you could exploit its claimed top speed but I imagine it would be quite a ride!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My son finally got his Model 3 for which he has waited 2 1/2 years

I had a chance to drive it and I was truly impressed. I’m sure it’s quicker than my SL 55

Not a thing on the dashboard except a computer screen mounted on the front of the middle of the dash board

It was a blast to drive

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you pass any nasty roads Stevie? If so, how was the ride comfort?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The brother of my closest friend has a model S; he really likes it...he's happy.

Like this guy:

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am not going to read all 27 pages, that being said, if all you got is 0-60 you are missing 90% of the fun.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I will however give Tesla major kudos on making beautiful looking electric cars, while the rest keep churning out ugly a$$ buckets.
Fiskars were good looking too.

Steve Williams

Did you pass any nasty roads Stevie? If so, how was the ride comfort?

The comfort was terrific.My son got the premium package with the larger battery

The acceleration was so quick that I was startled that this was the mere model 3

The large screen tells you everything you need to know about the inside and outside of there car

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think the Model 3 is underwhelming in person to say the least. I hope it drives better than the cheap look/build quality.

I love the Model S still and would buy a used one over any Model 3. In fact, a friend just dropped his M3 order and did this.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I think the Model 3 is underwhelming in person to say the least. I hope it drives better than the cheap look/build quality.

I love the Model S still and would buy a used one over any Model 3. In fact, a friend just dropped his M3 order and did this.

Aluminum will never rust. Especially nice where they use salt on the roads. Roomier and safer too. Mine has been trouble-free.

Steve Williams

Try driving it Keith You might be favorably impressed

Drove like a rocket and yes I prefer the Model S but whether you know it or not the Model 3 is the top selling midsize car in America now. I didn't find it the least bit cheap looking nor is it underwhelming. It would leave you and your M series BMW in its wake. I was stunned as to how fast it is

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The interesting thing is that the model 3 was supposed to be priced at $36K in the US. That price is not something that any of the new adopters have paid...not even close. Most of the guys I know who have bought the 3 have paid in the vicinity of $65K+ with the larger battery ( only way the car is now optioned). At $36K the car makes great sense...at $65K...I personally don't see it. At that price, it is too close to the model S- and at or above several other German vehicles that i would much rather own.
Add to that the new model 3 with the twin engine is going to be priced at $80K plus ..and you have a car that is just not on my radar...or most everybody else I know.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Try driving it Keith You might be favorably impressed

Drove like a rocket and yes I prefer the Model S but whether you know it or not the Model 3 is the top selling midsize car in America now. I didn't find it the least bit cheap looking nor is it underwhelming. It would leave you and your M series BMW in its wake. I was stunned as to how fast it is

It’s not even close. Sorry, doc. I have a 4 second car with DCT.

And my M2 doesn’t use double stick tape for visor mirrors ?? Fit and finish is poor, as is the joke interior. I park next to one daily.

The Model 3 nfortunately is being made like a prototype. I mean, tents now lol

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And I should reiterate, I'm a huge Model S fan. In fact, if I could fit in one I'd likely be driving a used MS right now that has been properly inspected and maintained. It would have cost the same as my M2.

Steve Williams

It’s not even close. Sorry, doc. I have a 4 second car with DCT.

And my M2 doesn’t use double stick tape for visor mirrors ?? Fit and finish is poor, as is the joke interior. I park next to one daily.

The Model 3 nfortunately is being made like a prototype. I mean, tents now lol

Sorry Keith. I beg to differ. It is faster than your car.......

Let’s start with the good stuff, which is the upcoming performance version of the Model 3. According to Musk, this car is very quick. Zero to sixty is done in just 3.5 seconds, which puts in in the same ballpark as a Porsche 911 GT3. Top speed is limited to 155 mph to prevent the battery from melting out the body panels. Range is an impressive 310 miles which should put anyone’s range anxiety to bed. This car can not only take you to the summer home in the Hamptons but get you there before you even realize you left the city.

My son has the performance edition and I believe it will easily beat your car

Steve Williams

The interesting thing is that the model 3 was supposed to be priced at $36K in the US. That price is not something that any of the new adopters have paid...not even close. Most of the guys I know who have bought the 3 have paid in the vicinity of $65K+ with the larger battery ( only way the car is now optioned). At $36K the car makes great sense...at $65K...I personally don't see it. At that price, it is too close to the model S- and at or above several other German vehicles that i would much rather own.
Add to that the new model 3 with the twin engine is going to be priced at $80K plus ..and you have a car that is just not on my radar...or most everybody else I know.

No where near $65K. Where do you get this stuff Davey. My son bought a loaded Model 3 for just over $50K. He opted not to get the auto drive option

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing