New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'll wait for the track test review before I think the 0-60 makes it special. Electric motors are instant torque, so it's no surprise it accelerates fast. In fact many electric car prototypes have been problematic since they'd just spin on take off. The complexity is making it a street-able power the user can access.

Having ridden a motorcycle with the same 0-60 time (2.5s, probably faster 20-80 time by a bit) I can say it's rather fun but it's going to scare some people that think they're getting 'just a sporty-ish' electric car!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll wait for the track test review before I think the 0-60 makes it special. Electric motors are instant torque, so it's no surprise it accelerates fast. In fact many electric car prototypes have been problematic since they'd just spin on take off. The complexity is making it a street-able power the user can access.

Having ridden a motorcycle with the same 0-60 time (2.5s, probably faster 20-80 time by a bit) I can say it's rather fun but it's going to scare some people that think they're getting 'just a sporty-ish' electric car!

Totally agree about ICE vs electric. I don't race or speed and know my car but I've been smoked at a stop light by a P85D. I can only imagine the torque with that larger battery

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah, but it's still a Tesla!
Not an AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren!

I'll pass. Like above, if I want to smoke a Tesla, I'll just get on one of my bikes!!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A guy who writes articles said Teslas handle rather poorly. Hopefully this one will have at least a little bit of an upgrade because you might be going around a corner faster than you expected. At least it's not down shifting a wastegate-less turbo like in the early 90's.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Weve gotten to the point where 0-60 is relatively meaningless. Handling is way more important at speed and isnt quite at the German standard. My beef with Tesla is apparently the build quality isnt quite there. See Farahs review of the P90d.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Said Keith before he went 0-60 in 2.5s... It's a rush you might like more than you think.

At least people's enthusiasm is leading to innovation with Tesla, as opposed to a stand still with alternative tech.

But I must agree, the notion of sustainability in laughable with a car that can't last and be repaired to pass on down the line so people in lower budgets, that will keep it on the road. Teslas are no 1985 Toyota 4x4 truck.... (which have been increasing in value)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For now if I want an electric torque fix, I'd head on down to an indoor Kart track. Boy its fun! Brake,point, brake release, zoom! I'll wait for when the infrastructure is in place for daily use, so for now God bless the early adopters who will make that possible :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
well.......sure the Tesla is fast.....but not real world fast. it's a toy that is not ready for prime time.....when speaking about performance.
Toy? Have you ridden in one? Just rode in a Model X (the SUV). It was by far one of the best experiences of my life. Silent, liquid propulsion that pours out *insane* amount of power (0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds). And this is an SUV. Did a standing start on a ramp and made it to 97 mph before merging into the freeway. Autonomous driving was a delight as were countless other innovations that make every other car look like a flip phone compared to Tesla's smartphone. Walk by the car and it knows which way you are coming. If from the front, it opens the door slightly to let you pass and then fully opens it! I can go on and on.

If it were not $135K, I would be buying two. :D

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Toy? Have you ridden in one? Just rode in a Model X (the SUV). It was by far one of the best experiences of my life. Silent, liquid propulsion that pours out *insane* amount of power (0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds). And this is an SUV. Did a standing start on a ramp and made it to 97 mph before merging into the freeway. Autonomous driving was a delight as were countless other innovations that make every other car look like a flip phone compared to Tesla's smartphone. Walk by the car and it knows which way you are coming. If from the front, it opens the door slightly to let you pass and then fully opens it! I can go on and on.

If it were not $135K, I would be buying two. :D

I have driven the P90D several times and the X twice and don't get them. I love the sound of a big V8. Teslas are a dime a dozen up here in the PNW. If I were ever to get a 4 door sedan, it would be a C63s AMG that could at least keep up with the Tesla and bath me in more luxury and still do it cheaper!!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Watch Rimac’s 1,088 HP Concept One EV smoke a Tesla and LaFerrari

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Electric cars may be fast off the line....but they have no legs and no soul. Nothing excites me more than driving a car that sounds like a hi-end electric golf cart.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yeah, but it's still a Tesla!
Not an AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren!

. . .

+1

Someone could mount a jet-assist take-off rocket on a telephone booth and beat the new Tesla -- but it still looks like a telephone booth.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Lot of thumping and chest beating here!... I have driven a Tesla several times and am on the list for the 3. I will enjoy it for sure. I do understand the thrill of an engine roaring under my feet etc... i am by no means a great driver but would own my own against many. The Tesla handling is very good. I didn't push it to any limit but I find it an extremely well balanced car. It needs to be driven in a different fashion however. For example Regenerative breaking seems rather aggressive: you lift your foot off the accelerator and the car is into braking mode.. you can feel it .. so you play with it , lift a tad and learn to caress the pedal . Torque is always there basically a flat curve from O to max RPM so entry in a curve and exit have to be done differently. This takes time to develop a good technique so different this is from most cars where the max torque is only reached at a certain RPM. As in any sports car it takes sometime to feel the car. Porsche handle differently from Ferrari or MB and no one here would tell me that a newbie would be at ease behind the wheel of a Porsche Turbo on first drive... So...I am not sure where the Tesla doesn't handle well comes from ..Opinions can be anything; fact is the Tesla handles well and this has been proven. As for reliability all reports point toward the Tesla being extremely reliable. OTOH no one in its right mind would equate any current MB with reliability. Ferrari are not known to be Toyota-like either, i don't have direct experience with Ferrari but am not sure they're stellar in this regard either. I know for a fact that MB are not reliable and frankly this is a shame to pay so much to get so little reliability. I own a recent Mercedes G-Wagon and love it to death but as for reliability it is a POS. Reliability is not a Mercedes forte, might have been..right now, no more.. Tesla beats it up day in and day out.
In the meantime this car does 0-60 in 2.5 and a lot more...Reliably, silently, spookily: It is disturbing to be going so fast and hear only some wind noise and come to think of it, economically. There is lot to love ..or to hate. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Electric cars may be fast off the line....but they have no legs and no soul. Nothing excites me more than driving a car that sounds like a hi-end electric golf cart.

+1

Someone could mount a jet-assist take-off rocket on a telephone booth and beat the new Tesla -- but it still looks like a telephone booth.

I can't disagree with Frantz' position. The reality is that we are all scoffing at the future of the automotive industry. In 10-20 years when the price of gas is $10 or more per gallon we might remember our comments about the ICE.

My son is also in queue for a Model 3. The reality for me is that this car will snuff mine, Bruce's Christian's and Mike's cars from a standing stop. Nothing more or nothing less. I still prefer my car as everyone does theirs as well but I was sure humiliated by that Tesla in a P85D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This is sounding like an analogue vs digital debate....... it's still early days yet for electric car. Whenever I'm in Hong Kong, I ride with my friend's electrics (one owns a Tesla and the other the BMW i3). From the passenger seat experience - I'd buy one. I'll miss the V8 roar and manual shift, but you can't beat the quietness and the smoothness - especially for urban commuting.

Different strokes for different folks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi

Lot of thumping and chest beating here!... I have driven a Tesla several times and am on the list for the 3. I will enjoy it for sure. I do understand the thrill of an engine roaring under my feet etc... i am by no means a great driver but would own my own against many. The Tesla handling is very good. I didn't push it to any limit but I find it an extremely well balanced car. It needs to be driven in a different fashion however. For example Regenerative breaking seems rather aggressive: you lift your foot off the accelerator and the car is into braking mode.. you can feel it .. so you play with it , lift a tad and learn to caress the pedal . Torque is always there basically a flat curve from O to max RPM so entry in a curve and exit have to be done differently. This takes time to develop a good technique so different this is from most cars where the max torque is only reached at a certain RPM. As in any sports car it takes sometime to feel the car. Porsche handle differently from Ferrari or MB and no one here would tell me that a newbie would be at ease behind the wheel of a Porsche Turbo on first drive... So...I am not sure where the Tesla doesn't handle well comes from ..Opinions can be anything; fact is the Tesla handles well and this has been proven. As for reliability all reports point toward the Tesla being extremely reliable. OTOH no one in its right mind would equate any current MB with reliability. Ferrari are not known to be Toyota-like either, i don't have direct experience with Ferrari but am not sure they're stellar in this regard either. I know for a fact that MB are not reliable and frankly this is a shame to pay so much to get so little reliability. I own a recent Mercedes G-Wagon and love it to death but as for reliability it is a POS. Reliability is not a Mercedes forte, might have been..right now, no more.. Tesla beats it up day in and day out.
In the meantime this car does 0-60 in 2.5 and a lot more...Reliably, silently, spookily: It is disturbing to be going so fast and hear only some wind noise and come to think of it, economically. There is lot to love ..or to hate. ;)

Frantz,

as far as an easy to drive super car the current Porsche Turbo S is as easy as it gets with all wheel drive, PDK (automatic transmission) and traction control. forget any previous concepts of a tail happy doctor killer. it's really simple for anyone. you do have to respect the 580hp of course. the 2wd Porsche's such as the GT3 or GT3RS are more a handful but normally aspirated.

and the benefit of any performance aspect which cannot be repeated during a continuous hot lap is a 'stop-light' feature only.......for High School cruising. my 16' Porsche 911 Carrera S does under 4 second zero to 60 (3.7 in some tests) with PDK, sports chrono and launch control and 188 mph. and it can do that stuff all day long. I'm sure Christian's is even faster.

rocket launch in a Tesla is like a booster rocket one time use per charge cycle. not relevant to real world driving.

someday we will have cold fusion and fully sorted out all-electric supercars. but not yet. not that the Tesla is not a fabulous car for what it does wonderfully. but a serious performance automobile? it falls short.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing