New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I can only imagine your creed supporting the horse and buggy over the first car at the turn of the century. BTW, I know some conservatives that love their Teslas

Tesla is about the most uninspiring car on the planet (for me anyway)...just a cut above the ever exciting and soulful Prius....I'll stick with my 6.2L V12...lol

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Tesla is about the most uninspiring car on the planet (for me anyway)...just a cut above the ever exciting and soulful Prius....I'll stick with my 6.2L V12...lol

LOL. Saw a friend yesterday who had the first Model S on Maui.

When saw him get out of a Model X, I asked him what happened.

He said the Model S just wasn't a comfortable car to drive.

I told him I had the same impression when I had a Model S test drive, and said the car was hard to get into.

His 20 something daughter agreed with me.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I find it to be the exact opposite which is one of the reasons we got the S. I am 6'1" with two arthritic knees and had more trouble getting into the X. Once in the car, they are about the same. There is a trick to getting into both and that is to back in first and swing your legs in. Pretty easy actually. Now for the back seat, with those falcon wing doors, no contest. The X is much easier to get in.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

Bruce B said:
Me too. (6.3L V-8)

Hello gents,

It appears you are not alone. Enatai252 who's just taken delivery of a 911R will perhaps also find Chris Harris's perspective amusing.

[video]https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-tesla-model-s-p100d?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=car-news&utm_content=telsa-model-s-chd[/video]

Be well,

853guy

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hello gents,

It appears you are not alone. Enatai252 who's just taken delivery of a 911R will perhaps also find Chris Harris's perspective amusing.

853guy

A pretty funny video... Just can't get into it either. I bet an E63s would eat it for lunch on the track.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The fact that our S only gets to 140 mph is not even a consideration for me as there is nowhere to drive here really at more than maybe 80 on the PA Turnpike which has a speed limit of 70. We don't take our cars out on a test track. We drive them on real roads. There are some really bumpy roads here and the S handles them beautifully. We do not have the air suspension Like the P100D. The whole point for me of the instant acceleration isn't the drag racing which is really dumb, but the ability it gives you to avoid hazards on the highway and most importantly, avoid the truly awful drivers encountered regularly on the PA and NJ Turnpikes, let alone up on Long Island. I do know someone with a McLaren. He takes it to a track in NJ. The problem is driving it there on these roads damages the suspension so he now takes it up on a trailer to race it. I am sorry, but I don't see the point in that. Not why I have a car.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A pretty funny video... Just can't get into it either. I bet an E63s would eat it for lunch on the track.

Lol, nice ad!

Almost any car will destroy a Tesla on a track if it's more than a few minutes, they're not designed for it. While I'm not convinced a Tesla is helping the environment any I do think it would be a perfect car for city driving.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
The fact that our S only gets to 140 mph is not even a consideration for me as there is nowhere to drive here really at more than maybe 80 on the PA Turnpike which has a speed limit of 70. We don't take our cars out on a test track. We drive them on real roads. There are some really bumpy roads here and the S handles them beautifully. We do not have the air suspension Like the P100D. The whole point for me of the instant acceleration isn't the drag racing which is really dumb, but the ability it gives you to avoid hazards on the highway and most importantly, avoid the truly awful drivers encountered regularly on the PA and NJ Turnpikes, let alone up on Long Island. I do know someone with a McLaren. He takes it to a track in NJ. The problem is driving it there on these roads damages the suspension so he now takes it up on a trailer to race it. I am sorry, but I don't see the point in that. Not why I have a car.

Hello Joe,

Yes, absolutely, horses for courses.

Like cartridges, cables and facial moisturisers, car purchases are an intensely personal thing, and the fact we have so much choice is part of what makes life interesting.

As someone who loves driving for driving's sake and has a family, it's borderline impossible to find one car that will excel in all conditions, which is historically why I've driven lesser Italian classics for kicks and giggles and German/Swedish estates for daily duties (currently trying very hard to resist a low mileage Range Rover 4.4 TD V8 - I just know I'll regret it).

Been jumping in and out of the Goodwood Revival Live (1) stream here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJIIaFG404), and seen Richard Meaden take first in a 1959 Alfa Giulietta Ti from Mike Jordan in a 1958 Austin A 40. Also watched as Chris Harris in a 1954 Ferrari 250 LM was overtaken during qualifying by a 1964 Ferrari GTO/64 that lost its back wheels on the grass and came off second best. Oof.

Best,

853guy

(1) Though I still love F1 and have since I was six years old, the racing on show here has way, way more character and drama than any race on the current F1 calendar.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
LOL. Saw a friend yesterday who had the first Model S on Maui.

When saw him get out of a Model X, I asked him what happened.

He said the Model S just wasn't a comfortable car to drive.

I told him I had the same impression when I had a Model S test drive, and said the car was hard to get into.

His 20 something daughter agreed with me.

I agree - it's completely awkward as the B pillar is pushed so forward.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Electric car maker Tesla says it has temporarily increased the battery capacity of some of its cars to help drivers escaping Hurricane Irma.

The electric car maker said the battery boost was applied to Model S and X cars in the Southeast. Some drivers only buy 60 or 70 kilowatt hours of battery capacity, but a software change will give them access to 75 kilowatt hours of battery life until Saturday. Depending on the model, that could let drivers travel about 40 more miles before they would need to recharge their cars.

Tesla said it made the change after a customer asked the company for help evacuating. The company said it's possible it will make similar changes in response to similar events in the future."

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think you'll see me in one of these before a Tesla. But I have to say the ground clearance is... well, maybe a problem. AWD isn't that exciting if 2 inches of snow will stop you.

01.jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
In the new Grand Tour an electric supercar is wrecked and it spontaneously burst into flames for 5 days after it initially burnt-down.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think you'll see me in one of these before a Tesla. But I have to say the ground clearance is... well, maybe a problem. AWD isn't that exciting if 2 inches of snow will stop you.

View attachment 35425

If you live in a country without winter seasons, you good to go.
And if you do have the occasional snow, like in Austria, then you just switch vehicles to go with the seasons:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And speaking of snow and cars, couple days ago I've read this short article:
http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/310621

Is the Tesla Model S's body exterior made of plastic, aluminum steel or carbon fibre, titanium, a combination?

"Bauxite: The Tesla Model S body and chassis are built almost entirely from aluminum, which comes from bauxite ore. Aluminum is lightweight, which helps to maximize the range of the battery beyond that of other EVs. The total amount of aluminum used in the car is 410 lbs (190 kg)."

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/extraordinary-raw-materials-in-a-tesla-model-s/

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Today's Times (London) has a brief report the new Corbellati missile "the world's fastest production car" claimed to do 310mph and to be revealed at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
Looks stunning.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing