Idiot proof convection oven

meamjw

Aug 23, 2016
I need an idiot proof convection oven. I've been using a gas range oven, but I frequently put something in it a forget about it until I start smelling it and by then it's way overcooked.
I would like to buy a convection oven that will not turn on until I set an auto shut off timer, like a microwave. I have been searching the internet for such an oven but haven't found one that specifically states that safety feature. Can anyone tell me a make and model that works in my desired manner?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I need an idiot proof convection oven. I've been using a gas range oven, but I frequently put something in it a forget about it until I start smelling it and by then it's way overcooked.
I would like to buy a convection oven that will not turn on until I set an auto shut off timer, like a microwave. I have been searching the internet for such an oven but haven't found one that specifically states that safety feature. Can anyone tell me a make and model that works in my desired manner?

It may not exist. A convection oven is nothing more than conventional oven with a fan. Most users would not tolerate the requirement, nor feel the need for your criteria. Microwave ovens are the exception since cooking times are so short, and even slight overcooking is disastrous.

Cooking anything (other than perhaps a potato) requires mindfulness.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Spend $100 and buy yourself something from iGrill where the probe in the meat is set to go off at the desired temperature and transmits wireless by bluetooth from the probe to your smartphone. The app can be downloaded free at the app store. I had the same problem. It;s not the oven's fault but yours....forgetfulness ....Got one of these and my roasts are perfect now

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
We have a GE Advantium 120 combination microwave/convection oven which uses the same control interface for both operations. It is a small over-the-counter adjunct to our main ovens but they might have larger ones with the same technology.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you are forgetful, I would second Steve's recommendation. Even if you find an oven that will shut off with a timer, the residual heat in the oven will overcook your item anyway.

meamjw

Aug 23, 2016
wrong forum

We have a GE Advantium 120 combination microwave/convection oven which uses the same control interface for both operations. It is a small over-the-counter adjunct to our main ovens but they might have larger ones with the same technology.
Thanks to all for your replies, but it is clear that I posted my question on the wrong forum. Apparently the members of this forum are all rich. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on my effort to keep from burning some garlic bread sticks or a pizza.
Consider the thread closed.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks to all for your replies, but it is clear that I posted my question on the wrong forum. Apparently the members of this forum are all rich. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on my effort to keep from burning some garlic bread sticks or a pizza.
Consider the thread closed.

Before the thread closes you have to know the truth: I am extremely poor. I have zero money.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
See post #3. It's cheaper than a new oven :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Don't all range ovens have a timer you can set? Mine does and is loud enough to hear when the item is done. I'm not understanding the concern here.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Don't all range ovens have a timer you can set? Mine does and is loud enough to hear when the item is done. I'm not understanding the concern here.

Those timers buzz when the time is up, but do not usually turn off the oven, and as Jack said, if you leave the food in there, the residual heat will overcook and dry out the food.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Those timers buzz when the time is up, but do not usually turn off the oven, and as Jack said, if you leave the food in there, the residual heat will overcook and dry out the food.

I know, but shouldn't it be simple enough to walk to your range and take out the item you've had cooking. Just sayin!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But what if you are @ your neighbor's house and listening to the Rio Olympic games on Live TV, or listening to some great Opera music recording by some of the best?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing