M3's/Mpods have arrived at Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Our new Magico M3s/Mpods arrived today and are installed and breaking in.
20160822_131834.jpg 20160822_132010.jpg 20160822_140633 (002).jpg 20160822_152121.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice !

How much are the Mpods ?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Nice !

How much are the Mpods ?

Hey Adam, $9600 retail for a complete set. When the inserted transport pins are removed from each Mpod the speakers are floating on the isolated elements of the foot and should not be pivoted as such. You have to insert the pins (easy) into each Mpod if you are going to move/pivot the speaker.

The price includes the heavy duty custom triangle platforms for the M3's. Not sure what the price will be for "stand alone" Mpods, but with the "teaser" pic of the Mpods on S7s, it's forthcoming.

It's pretty slick how they install the Mpod platform at the factory and then insert the wheels into custom made brackets for the rear wheels, which is integrated into the design of the platform. Took me 1.5 hours from crates in the hallway to playing music with the Mpods installed......I was sweating when I was done:)

M3QPod.jpg

Last edited:

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Question....Once these are in place attached to the speaker, if you press down on the top of the speaker cabinet, does the speaker sink down closer to the floor kind of like a shock absorber would if you were compressing it?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Question....Once these are in place attached to the speaker, if you press down on the top of the speaker cabinet, does the speaker sink down closer to the floor kind of like a shock absorber would if you were compressing it?

Hi, it might compress slightly, but I tried pressing down and could not sense or feel any movement.

Btw, the supplied torque wrench that you can see in the first set of pics in this thread is to "tighten the tensioners" in each speaker.

There are 8 holes on the back of the speaker where you use the torque wrench to "tune the cabinet". There is a specific torque value that you use to precisely align the internal structure of the M3. You do this "adjustment" about once every 10 days or so to keep the internal tensioners at an exact setting. Do this for the first few hundred hours while the speakers are breaking in, then maybe once every six months.

It's like "tuning an instrument". Once set to the proper values the results are literally astounding. Hard to get my head around the sound at this point....again "Resolution with Soul".

After talking with Peter from Magico today about "why" the combo of the Vitus SM102's and the M3's takes it all to a different level my understanding has changed. Talking about it yesterday with Mike from AS we thought "efficiency" was the key. It seems that efficiency might be a contributor but the main difference maker is probably due to a more gentle impedance curve vs. other Magico models. It's this gentle curve (not published yet) that is allowing the amp(s) to REALLY breathe.

Last edited:

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
The 20 lucky AudioShark members who accepted Alon's invitation are at Magico now taking a factory tour and hearing the M3 in their fantastic listening room. It'll be fun to read the reports of the tour and of the sound of this new speaker.

The tour is actually this weekend on Saturday. I'll provide some thoughts after I get back on Sunday. I've also heard that Magico is beating it's production delivery dates so my set should be getting to me before the October forecast.

Cincy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing