Auro 3D Makes Music and Movies DA BOMB!

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I am not really into format wars, I am more into SQ and convenience. For me an Auro 3D setup was more convenient than atmos because:
1. I already had a matching set of 4 book shelf speakers ready to mount as height channels.
2. The configuration meant I didn't have to drill holes and/or, run wires across my ceiling.
3. I mounted my speakers on tall stands like a DJ uses, no drilling brackets into the walls.
4. I stream nearly everything for convenience which means native auro or atmos content is a non issue. Those BRD are too damn expensive which means upmixing was the way to go for convenience and budget.

I feed my processor a 192/24 PCM signal that is upconverted by my PC's Xonar U7 soundcard (review posted in PC forum of this site).

Now for SQ Auro 3D makes all of the other formats I have heard in my room on my system sound like a toy. Don't get me wrong, before getting auro they sounded great but after they are just so so in comparison. You "think" you have heard a good soundstage when you get left to right width and front to back depth but that is based on everything else you have heard. Wait until you hear a soundstage that extends top to bottom with precision as well. To hear an acoustic bass players fingers move "up and down" the frets, to almost "see" Benny Goodman's clarinet being waved around in the air as your ears track the position of the horn as he waves it around. Movies are "another level" literally. Auro describes it as being enveloped in a bubble of sound. I would describe traditional surround as speakers pushing sound toward you. With Auro 3D it feels as you are being "pulled" into the sound and you can't tell where it is coming from, it is just everywhere.
Now caveats, I have not listened to an an atmos layout in my space, only used the atmos upmixer through my auro layout. I like atmos use of the rear surrounds in movies but for me it isn't like being pulled into a bubble of sound, just more sound being pushed down from above. Another thing about auro is you can tailor the surround parameters and tweak them for the room, the type of content, and your taste.
For me once I engaged auro it sounds like i upgraded everything not just a $200 codec.
Auro is very specific about speakers. Ideally the same one or at least the same brand all around and preferably full range. I use Paradigm Active 40's as bed channels, active 20's as height channels, an active CC center channel and an active Shift A2 as VOG. All of them extend below 40 HZ so that;s where I crossed them over to get as close to full range as possible. I don't know if I could have gotten such good results without the right speakers.
Hearing a soundstage extend top to bottom as well as front and back and left to right with precision is exactly why I would consider this a truly "3D" experience and it literally made stereo. atmos, etc seem like toys in comparison.
I wanted to post pics but they seem way to large, I will try and figure it out.

Attachments

• WP_20160819_001.jpg
    WP_20160819_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 293
  • WP_20160819_004.jpg
    WP_20160819_004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • WP_20160819_007.jpg
    WP_20160819_007.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 287
  • WP_20160819_008.jpg
    WP_20160819_008.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 231

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
There are not many Blu-rays encoded with Auro-3D but yes some people enjoy Auro-Matic 2D and 3D. ...Especially for music.
It is more popular in Europe than in North America.

I've never heard it personally, but I've read extensively about it. And I respect the effort that went through it, and the people who enjoy it.
Thanks for sharing.

? http://www.auro-3d.com/

*** And with D&M (Denon/Marantz), some of their model receivers and pre/pros, for only $200 extra, to me it's super inexpensive in addition to Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for the videos, the effort and expense to setup an auro layout is minimal compared to the SQ and convenience. If you ever consider it the one piece of advice I would give is to try and select speakers that extend at least below 50 hz for your height channels. I know the Dolby reference is a cross over of 80 hz for home theater but Auro recommends full range. If I were selecting speakers today I would look at active speakers first (Paradigm no longer makes the Active Reference series) so maybe JBL LSR or PRX 700 series or QSC K series. The only passive book shelves I know that extend below 40 hz are the DefTech Studio Monitor series (SM 45,55 and 65) but I am sure there are others.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have both Auro and Atmos, although my speakers are set up for Atmos - which I much prefer over Auro. That said, I certainly agree with the OP. At the 2014 CEDIA, I heard both systems and the demo that got me to do the upgrade was an Auro demo with a huge pipe organ in a huge cathedral. It has been 2 years since that demo and, unfortunately, Auro has virtually NO source material for US customers while Atmos has a BUNCH of movies.

It was the first time as an audio enthusiast (over 40 years) that I WAS unquestinably in the venue of the recording - and I returned home to create my own 3D audio listening experience - but based on Atmos. And, IMO, there is not a single two channel system at any price in any room that can and would come marginally close to what the new 3D formats provide - when done properly.

I upsample MOST of my two channel listening to the new 3D formats. For most of them, it is a far superior listening experience but for some, not so much. And for movies, it is so much more immersive. In all of the upgrades to my audio and video system that I have made over the last 10 years, my wife has only noticed 2: the swap of my projector to a Sony 4K projector AND my upgrade to 3D audio. Swapping, for example, from a $2500 SSP to one that cost $25,000 did not even get noticed. Love my 3D audio. Love it.

I am sure many two-channel "purists" would have no part of it for music [I have a friend who is not a fan], but for me, 3D audio is Da Bomb!!!

As a note, I do disagree with the OP on FR requirements for ceiling speakers - or for surrounds. That is what bass management is for. My surrounds have the same tweeter and midrange as my mains but I sure don't cross them over at the same point. And while my ceiling speakers do have output much lower than 60HZ, I would never use them that low. My SSP has a display that shows the output of each channel. Very surprisingly, the ceiling speakers sometimes get a LOT of use - and crossing them over as low as the OP suggests can become very audible in very high volume action sequences. That said, his ceiling speakers may have very high input sensitivity and be very efficient with high power handling capacity, in which case, raising the crossover may not be necessary. AND, he may not listen at the levels I do. None of this, however, takes away from the 3D audio experience. HIGHLY recommended. Highly!!!

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Well said, I love 2 channel stereo but after 3D audio it is lackluster in comparison. As for the crossovers if you are using a dolby layout being fed a dolby digital signal there is no reason not to use the recommended 80 hz crossover. The LFE channel is designed that way. Auro recommends a PCM signal which does not use a LFE channel. I think the crossover point is room and system dependent and there is no one right setting for everyone. My height channels have internal amplification so high sensitivity and power handling are entirely different from passive speakers. I can't really compare to an atmos layout but in the end I would prefer either codec over traditional stereo. Thanks audioguy. Can you post a pic of your setup?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Well said, I love 2 channel stereo but after 3D audio it is lackluster in comparison. As for the crossovers if you are using a dolby layout being fed a dolby digital signal there is no reason not to use the recommended 80 hz crossover. The LFE channel is designed that way. Auro recommends a PCM signal which does not use a LFE channel. I think the crossover point is room and system dependent and there is no one right setting for everyone. My height channels have internal amplification so high sensitivity and power handling are entirely different from passive speakers. I can't really compare to an atmos layout but in the end I would prefer either codec over traditional stereo. Thanks audioguy. Can you post a pic of your setup?

Agree. My setup can be found HERE

The front subs have been changed to Seaton F18's (4 of them) and they are now hidden in the left and right corner bass traps.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Wow! That looks like an amazing theater, It must be great to have a dedicated space like that. You really made an interesting comparison when you said your wife liked the upgrade to 3D sound more than upgrading to that datasat processor. Installing 4 height speakers costs a lot less than $20K! Of course if you asked me I would prefer to have both;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing