Which Pass Labs amp for Sonus Faber Futura?

andski

Dec 19, 2015
Hi,
hope Pass Labs aficionados here can help me with advise,
I'm thinking of upgrading my current amp ARC Ref 150, great amp love midrange and highs but bass is lacking,
I think this is due that Futura's impedance which is 4 ohms but drops down to 2ohm in midrange maybe little bit to hard for ref to extract low bass from those speakers.
I'm thinking of Pass labs as it supposed to work well with ARC gear and my preamp is Ref5SE and cd6.
Not sure if I want to fork out for .8 series as there is lots good deals for .5 since upgrade, do you think price difference is worth it?
also is X600.5 over kill for futura's ? which series would be most suited to run Futura's?
Thank in advance for your advise :)
Andrew

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You might also check out Ayre- Joe on this forum has owned both and seems to be in hog heaven with latest 20 series on his Strads

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yes Keith. I absolutely LOVE my MX-R/20 (I'm working on getting the KX-R/20 preamp). Both my Strads and JBL 4367's sound amazing. I also have Pass XA60.8's and they are amazing too.

Andrew, you might even want to consider the Pass X350.8 (in addition to the X600's). Two friends have the X350.8 with Salon2's and it sounds awesome. I love that combo too (sounds big, open, ballsy, sweet, 3D and effortless). I believe there is no such thing as "overkill" in the amp/speaker interface. As long as you respect the power, all amps can work superbly.

One more thing to confuse you is to consider the Ref 6 preamp to mate with the GS150. Tons more balls over the Ref 5se and a friend who I recommended that with the GS150 for his Acoustic Zen speakers is in absolute heaven.

You might also check out Ayre- Joe on this forum has owned both and seems to be in hog heaven with latest 20 series on his Strads

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had the Futura's with the REF150, REF40 and CD8 with Transparent Audio cables and in my room the bass was great - not as powerful as a Krell surely, but with weight and most of it, great definition.

I would suggest that you try the CD9 before changing anything else - although I have no experience with the CD6, I always found the solid state ARC CD players (CD3 and 5 and DAC8) to have a somewhat lean bass.

IMHO, the REF150 and the Futura Amati's are a great match - no other amplifier could make them more musical that the ARC one.

andski

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you ALL for your input, I did try CD 9 and compared it side by side with 6 and it was close, yes I admit CD 9 was better but it wasn't huge difference just different obviously its tube CD so sound has more bloom to it and its very musical, but I also like 6 with little bit more detail in my system sounds very good.
joeinid thank you I may look at X350.8 as well, less heat generated as well from stereo amp compare to monos, any idea which series XA vs X would be better with Futura's ?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In your OP you mention that you love the highs and midrange of your ARC gear but find the bass lacking because of the impedance drop of your speakers. I don't know your speakers, but based on your comments, I would suggest the XA160.5 over the X or .8 series. I find the XA.5 has good bass control for difficult loads but also very rich, warm midrange and sweet, sooth treble. As they are now discontinued, you can find good deals. I directly compared the XA160.5 to the XA160.8 in my system and preferred the .5 with my difficult speakers for precisely the reasons you describe in the OP. I found the .8 to have slightly better control and clarity, but it sounded a bit lifeless and sterile in my system. However, I did the same comparison in MadFloyd's system and preferred the .8 with his speakers and much larger room.

The only way to know for sure is to try different models in your system. Find a local dealer or give Mark at Reno HiFi a call or Kent at Pass Labs. They know the differences very well and can offer excellent advice. You may also be able to demo most models through Reno and just pay for return shipping if you don't keep them.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I wouldn't totally rule out the MC601s

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Normally I'd say Pass XA over the X series everyday, but in this case, I was so amazed with the X350.8 that it didn't matter, Class A vs AB. The XA series is a little softer, the X series is ballsier. I love the new Point 8 series Pass amps.

AND, with the Ref 6, was balanced extremely well, tone-wise. I think could be perfect on the Futuras. I think the first 17 watts are Class A, but you have 350/700 on tap. That's way more than I need.

Thank you ALL for your input, I did try CD 9 and compared it side by side with 6 and it was close, yes I admit CD 9 was better but it wasn't huge difference just different obviously its tube CD so sound has more bloom to it and its very musical, but I also like 6 with little bit more detail in my system sounds very good.
joeinid thank you I may look at X350.8 as well, less heat generated as well from stereo amp compare to monos, any idea which series XA vs X would be better with Futura's ?

andski

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you Joe :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing