Great DAC + Headphone amp recommendations?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
For a second home I'm looking for a great DAC + Headphone amp with:

(1) USB input that accepts DSD (I'll be feeding it via HQ Player via Roon; I have no need for any other sources beyond USB)
(2) Great headphone output (ideally for my not particularly efficient balanced HE1000's)
(3) Remote control over volume

Ideally a single box, although if relatively small (under 19" wide and under 2" high) I could go two box.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bruce,

The darTZeel LHC-208 is a fantastic integrated, as it includes a DAC, streamer *and* headphone amp. It's not necessarily inexpensive, but it's a fantastic, all-in-one piece, that you can even hook up speakers to in case you feel like it.

cheers,
alex

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Bruce,

The darTZeel LHC-208 is a fantastic integrated, as it includes a DAC, streamer *and* headphone amp. It's not necessarily inexpensive, but it's a fantastic, all-in-one piece, that you can even hook up speakers to in case you feel like it.

cheers,
alex

Appears to not support DSD.

Anyone with experience with the Simaudio, Questyle CMA8, or new model Grace units?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It does support DSD, up to Quad.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
T+A DAC 8 DSD. It's a superb DAC which I'm enjoying very much.

YUP. My headphone setup is T&A DAC 8 being fed DSD512 being fed by my i7 6700K Falcon NW Tiki with Roon/HQP using poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM5 bit rate limit 22579200 into my Cavalli Liquid Carbon. It's awesome and eagerly awaiting my Liquid Gold.

My headphones are LCD-X and HD800s and love them both.

I highly recommend the T&A as a headphone DAC

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
YUP. My headphone setup is T&A DAC 8 being fed DSD512 being fed by my i7 6700K Falcon NW Tiki with Roon/HQP using poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM5 bit rate limit 22579200 into my Cavalli Liquid Carbon. It's awesome and eagerly awaiting my Liquid Gold.

My headphones are LCD-X and HD800s and love them both.

I highly recommend the T&A as a headphone DAC

Looking for an "all in one" DAC+Amp with remote .... it's in a wife-frequented room in a second home (so, definitely no Hydra/Typhon stack feeding an MSB stack feeding a VTL pre feeding a Decware Taboo as in my other rig :) )

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looking for an "all in one" DAC+Amp with remote .... it's in a wife-frequented room in a second home (so, definitely no Hydra/Typhon stack feeding an MSB stack feeding a VTL pre feeding a Decware Taboo as in my other rig :) )

Devialet? People say the new version is now even better!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
microstrip,

Seems to be geared towards headphones, so the Devialet won't cut it.

Bruce,

The T+A has a headphone amp built-in, so it seems like it'll work for your situation. Only thing it'll lack is a remote. I think at its price point, the T+A will be hard to beat (like the darTZeel).

cheers,
alex

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
I use the TAD DA1000 for this purpose and im very happy with it.

The synergy with Fostex TH900 is excellent, so much so that I dont even use my HD800 anymore. I havent tried it with HE1000 though.

Another option would be Chord Dave.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
microstrip,

Bruce,

The T+A has a headphone amp built-in, so it seems like it'll work for your situation. Only thing it'll lack is a remote. I think at its price point, the T+A will be hard to beat (like the darTZeel).

cheers,
alex

If you use it as an all on one it has a remote volume. However there is no balanced headphone jack if that matters

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have a Lampi Golden Gate HeadDAC with HD800s.

Sensational!!

Totally agree! The headamp in the HeadDac is first class. The Big7HeadDac created a big buzz at the Warsaw show last year...and had balanced output and a VT99 driver tube. ALRainbow owns that actual unit and can give better feedback than I can. Up to DSD512 is possible. R2R PCM 384khz. Remote for volume and input selection.

The Chord Dave is another one to consider at a similar pricepoint.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
T+A DAC 8 DSD. It's a superb DAC which I'm enjoying very much.

I would 'third' that recommendation on the assumption that budget is moderate given the second home placement. Have been running one fed 512DSD from SGM server into my HEK over the past couple of months. Is very competent with plenty of drive.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
microstrip,

Bruce,

cheers,
alex

T+A does have a remote.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I would 'third' that recommendation on the assumption that budget is moderate given the second home placement. Have been running one fed 512DSD from SGM server into my HEK over the past couple of months. Is very competent with plenty of drive.

How is it when NOT fed with a $20K superserver?

EdmontonCanuck

Jul 1, 2016
How is it when NOT fed with a $20K superserver?

Still awesome. My server is a CAPS V4 Pipeline (optimized with Audiophile Optimizer V2.0 on Win10), and running off an HDPlex LPS. This is a $2K server, and the results are still impressive in my humble opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing