The Blue Apron

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This appears to be the best and only one of many new food websites where meals are changed on a weekly basis with all of the ingredients sent fresh to your doorstep with a step by step instruction of how to cook and prepare the meal.

We have been members now for the past 6 weeks and I have to admit that not only is the food fresh but the recipes are darn good with most dinners being under 700 calories.

They also have a complete wine list as well with recommended pairings for the meals.

A simple dietary survey at registration determines your weekly menu however you have the choice of skipping a week or more of meals and to order only when a menu for that week appeals to you

There are always 6 menus from which to choose every week and none are ever the same

There is a beef, chicken, pork, lamb and vegetarian dishes from which to choose. Some menus can only be chosen with others but it is fun and easy

Three meals per week are delivered fresh to your doorstep and contain everything for all three meals. Nothing goes to waste and there is just enough for the perfect meal.

Preparation is easy with the entire menu preparation taking 30-45 minutes. It has been fun for my wife and I preparing the menus each night

You can pick your preferred delivery day anywhere from Tuesday to Saturday ( we have a Tuesday delivery)

Billing is easy with the first week of three menus being free. You leave your credit card on file. and you are billed the $59.64 the day the food ships. You receive notification and a tracking number for your order. There is a smart phone app as well as their web site

I have to say that the meals are terrific but if there aren't three that week that appeal to you all you have to do is skip that week. Menus are available weeks for a month at a time so that ample time is had to decide if you want it as is or whether you want to change the menu to one of the other 6 weekly offerings or toy just skip that week completely. The $60 provides 3 meals for 2 people whereas there is a family plan as well with meals for 4 at $70 per week

There is no pressure. In fact you can quit after they send you the first week of 3 meals for free

The Blue Apron is getting lot's of media attention and having tried it we are hooked. We have been ordering typically 2x per month. The food is first class and there has never been a problem with freshness in any of our deliveries. The meats are first class

Definitely worth a try. Register and get your first week for free

www.blueapron.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We keep getting invites by friends to free start-up meals there with the same praise. But you have to go through the full registration with credit card to get it. And I assume the person giving us the "free meal" is getting a referral fee. In that sense, it reminds of the many pyramid/ponzi-like schemes which eventually suffer horrible death when they run out of signing up others.

That, and the fact that our schedule is very unpredictable with a ton of weekly pleasure trip that we go on the moments notice, made us pass on it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Amir,

99% of the online services/sites out there these days offer some kind of referral mechanism, where the satisfied user can recommend the service to their friends, and earn some benefit, either a discount or free service for a month/week/whatever. That's NOT a pyramid scheme, in as much as the satisfied person still has to pay for ongoing service, and the new, incoming users too.

I've used several services with similar mechanics, like Handy (for house cleaning) and Betterment/Wealthfront (financial services). Nothing "ponzi" about these.

And registration? It's an ongoing service, that you'll have to pay for... I see nothing wrong with asking for registration information.

Back to the original service... I've got junk mail about a million similar services to these... I remember this one, that offered the cooking kits, as well as fully prepared meals: https://munchery.com/how-it-works/

Steve Williams

Amir,

99% of the online services/sites out there these days offer some kind of referral mechanism, where the satisfied user can recommend the service to their friends, and earn some benefit, either a discount or free service for a month/week/whatever. That's NOT a pyramid scheme, in as much as the satisfied person still has to pay for ongoing service, and the new, incoming users too.

I've used several services with similar mechanics, like Handy (for house cleaning) and Betterment/Wealthfront (financial services). Nothing "ponzi" about these.

And registration? It's an ongoing service, that you'll have to pay for... I see nothing wrong with asking for registration information.

Back to the original service... I've got junk mail about a million similar services to these... I remember this one, that offered the cooking kits, as well as fully prepared meals: https://munchery.com/how-it-works/

right on Alex

this is not a Ponzi scheme but rather good marketing. Keeping a card on file is good business and is totally secure.

I got solicitations as from all of the others but The Blue Apron IMO is the leader of the pack

The food is terrific and averages $10 per meal. which for what you get I consider a bargain

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is one thing to register but another to also need credit card where we only want to redeem the *free* meal offer we have received from friends. In this day and age, we are ultra cautious in where we give out our credit card info. There are so many breaches at the smaller etailers compared to likes of Amazon.

If we were going to sing up as a new customer, sure. But again, not for the trial.

A while ago we had a discussion around Roon trial requiring credit card info. A lot of people including myself thought that was a major barrier. Not sure how for a free meal it is any different.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Keeping a card on file is good business and is totally secure.
Totally secure? How do you know? Whose platform do they use? What are their breach management procedures?

I trust you have none of this information yet are making the representation above. :(

Did you even read their terms of service before signing up? Specifically the section on indemnification and limitation of rights?

"To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Blue Apron, and our respective past, present and future employees, officers, directors, contractors, consultants, equity holders, suppliers, vendors, service providers, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, representatives, predecessors, successors and assigns (individually and collectively, the “Blue Apron Parties”), from and against all actual or alleged Blue Apron Party or third party claims, damages, awards, judgments, losses, liabilities, obligations, penalties, interest, fees, expenses and costs of every kind and nature whatsoever, whether known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen, matured or unmatured, or suspected or unsuspected, in law or equity, whether in tort, contract or otherwise (collectively, “Claims”), including, but not limited to, damages to property or personal injury, that are caused by, arise out of or are related to (a) any use or misuse of the Sites, Content or Products by you or any third party you authorize to access or use such Sites, Content or Products, (b) any User Content you create, post, share or store on or through the Sites or our pages or feeds on third party social media platforms, (c) any Feedback you provide, (d) your violation of these Terms, and (e) your violation of the rights of another. You agree to promptly notify Blue Apron of any third party Claims, cooperate with the Blue Apron Parties in defending such Claims and pay all fees, costs and expenses associated with defending such Claims (including, but not limited to, attorneys’ fees and expenses, court costs, costs of settlement and costs of pursuing indemnification and insurance). You further agree that the Blue Apron Parties shall have control of the defense or settlement of any third party Claims. This indemnity is in addition to, and not in lieu of, any other indemnities set forth in a written agreement between you and Blue Apron."

Whether you get sick from their food or your personal information gets leaked, good luck in having any recourse.

Mind you, everything I hear about their food is positive. I took no issue with that. I simply read and value what else is involved and my judgement is clearly different than yours.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have used both and continue to use Munchery. Blue Apron is good value and provided me many good dishes and introduced me to new flavors and spices. The reason I stopped using them was two fold - first, the very generous amount of carbs you received with each dish and there's no way to reduce it (great if you can eat carbs, but I can't being T2 diabetic) and the second was the amount of packaging that was ending up in the land-fill. I really find it hard to abide by waste, so I stopped.

I started Munchery when I was ill and found it much better quality and value than food ordered/delivered from restaurants - as it is designed to be delivered cold and you heat it up yourself, I found it worked better and the food tasted better than ordering from a restaurant delivery service. Somethings, like vegetables are only partially cooked so they don't turn soggy when you reheat. Value is also good. It is a subscription service, but for menu items that run from $7.95 for a chicken dish upwards to $12.95 for beed (plus $2.95 delivery and tax - and an $8.95 monthly or $80 a year subscription service) is cheaper than eating out when you don't feel like cooking. I simply leave a cooler outside my door for them and I often buy two meals - saving on the delivery fee for the next day. ;)

So... if anyone wants to try Munchery - if it's available in your area, here's a $20 coupon. Yes, I receive $20 too. :D munchery.com/invite/DD94HT73

{Edit} Another thing about Munchery, you can order without a subscription - the dishes are I think $2 more. They also now have a dinner kit for two in my area. $19.95 for two servings.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
We've been using Blue Apron and Sun Basket for a couple of years now, although we tend to only order from one or the other every month or so. Sun Basket has been recycling their delivery cartons for as long as we have used them, Blue Apron just started recently. We've also tried Purple Carrot but didn't like it as well, even though we eat almost exclusively vegetarian.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Go to the web site and request a pre-paid return label, which you can then print yourself and the USPO will pick up at your house. They do request that you put 2 weeks boxes together for return.

In addition to ordering the meals from these two companies, we also find ourselves using the included recipes to prepare our favorites ourselves.

Steve Williams

In addition to ordering the meals from these two companies, we also find ourselves using the included recipes to prepare our favorites ourselves.

we have been doing the same and thanks for the heads up on the carton recycle

Do they take bag the large plastic bags of water that they freeze for ice when they send the food or only the cartons

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
We put everything back in the boxes.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
We keep getting invites by friends to free start-up meals there with the same praise. But you have to go through the full registration with credit card to get it. And I assume the person giving us the "free meal" is getting a referral fee. In that sense, it reminds of the many pyramid/ponzi-like schemes which eventually suffer horrible death when they run out of signing up others.

That, and the fact that our schedule is very unpredictable with a ton of weekly pleasure trip that we go on the moments notice, made us pass on it.
You are so right we must watch out for those food pyramid schemes. Yes and companies that may give referral credit to customers must also be avoided at all cost. Company like Verizon, and Uber must have sinister motives. We must be careful about credit cards and never use them anywhere, someone is always out to get us.

As far as getting food I agree especially if on the road drive through is always the best, paying cash is a must and wearing a disguise is also a good idea.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
This appears to be the best and only one of many new food websites where meals are changed on a weekly basis with all of the ingredients sent fresh to your doorstep with a step by step instruction of how to cook and prepare the meal.

We have been members now for the past 6 weeks and I have to admit that not only is the food fresh but the recipes are darn good with most dinners being under 700 calories.

They also have a complete wine list as well with recommended pairings for the meals.

A simple dietary survey at registration determines your weekly menu however you have the choice of skipping a week or more of meals and to order only when a menu for that week appeals to you

There are always 6 menus from which to choose every week and none are ever the same

There is a beef, chicken, pork, lamb and vegetarian dishes from which to choose. Some menus can only be chosen with others but it is fun and easy

Three meals per week are delivered fresh to your doorstep and contain everything for all three meals. Nothing goes to waste and there is just enough for the perfect meal.

Preparation is easy with the entire menu preparation taking 30-45 minutes. It has been fun for my wife and I preparing the menus each night

You can pick your preferred delivery day anywhere from Tuesday to Saturday ( we have a Tuesday delivery)

Billing is easy with the first week of three menus being free. You leave your credit card on file. and you are billed the $59.64 the day the food ships. You receive notification and a tracking number for your order. There is a smart phone app as well as their web site

I have to say that the meals are terrific but if there aren't three that week that appeal to you all you have to do is skip that week. Menus are available weeks for a month at a time so that ample time is had to decide if you want it as is or whether you want to change the menu to one of the other 6 weekly offerings or toy just skip that week completely. The $60 provides 3 meals for 2 people whereas there is a family plan as well with meals for 4 at $70 per week

There is no pressure. In fact you can quit after they send you the first week of 3 meals for free

The Blue Apron is getting lot's of media attention and having tried it we are hooked. We have been ordering typically 2x per month. The food is first class and there has never been a problem with freshness in any of our deliveries. The meats are first class

Definitely worth a try. Register and get your first week for free

www.blueapron.com
Yes Blue Apron is very nice, well worth a try. Here is a review of several different services.

http://observer.com/2016/01/we-tried-blue-apron-hello-fresh-and-their-4-competitors-one-was-clearly-the-best/

And a review.

http://www.pcmag.com/review/345296/blue-apron

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You are so right we must watch out for those food pyramid schemes. Yes and companies that may give referral credit to customers must also be avoided at all cost. Company like Verizon, and Uber must have sinister motives. We must be careful about credit cards and never use them anywhere, someone is always out to get us.

As far as getting food I agree especially if on the road drive through is always the best, paying cash is a must and wearing a disguise is also a good idea.

Ohmergerdz! Break out the tinfoil hatsz!! Now! Naos! ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing