May 22, 2015
I have listened to the following op coupling caps in L4.5 / L7 / GG:

- soviet military pio
- vcap cutf
- clarity cap mr
- duelund cast cu
- jupiter copper
- jupiter copper with duelund silver bypass

On a B7 / GG, you can't go wrong with either the factory fitted jupiter copper foil or duelund cast ag/cu hybrids. The latter would be my preference since they are a little darker and fuller, though that is a personal preference.

Readers may find this cap review of interest, though perhaps consider what is used in your preamps and our tweeters

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I'm with you regarding Duelund Cast Cu as my favorite.

Tried the Jupiter Cooper but I found it a little too edgy in the highs.

But I believe is not only a personal preference, but system matching too. Maybe somebody with SE SET amplifiers would like better the Jupiter?

I'm waiting for the V-Cap CuTf alone or bypassed by V-Cap bypass capacitor. And... some others.

Roch

- soviet military pio
- vcap cutf
- clarity cap mr
- duelund cast cu
- jupiter copper

On a B7 / GG, you can't go wrong with either the factory fitted jupiter copper foil or duelund cast ag/cu hybrids. The latter would be my preference since they are a little darker and fuller, though that is a personal preference.

Readers may find this cap review of interest, though perhaps consider what is used in your preamps and our tweeters

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

- soviet military pio
- vcap cutf
- clarity cap mr
- duelund cast cu
- jupiter copper

What about Mundorf Silver/Gold? I think this is also an option for the GG. Have you had any experience with this combination?
Thanks.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

- soviet military pio
- vcap cutf
- clarity cap mr
- duelund cast cu
- jupiter copper

What about Mundorf Silver/Gold? I think this is also an option for the GG. Have you had any experience with this combination?
Thanks.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Thanks.

Those are the ones I have. I also had a short stint with a GG that had the Duelund. What can I say? I liked them both. I do not dare to give a reliable test report on what differences there were, soundwise. At that time I wasn`t really A/B ing them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Those are the ones I have. I also had a short stint with a GG that had the Duelund. What can I say? I liked them both. I do not dare to give a reliable test report on what differences there were, soundwise. At that time I wasn`t really A/B ing them.

To complicate things for the same price, instead of the Duelunds you can get the Mundorf gold or oil or something with twice the microfarad capacity or something like that. So the question is does this doubling affect the sound as compared to a straight Duelund Mundorf shootout

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
To complicate things for the same price, instead of the Duelunds you can get the Mundorf gold or oil or something with twice the microfarad capacity or something like that. So the question is does this doubling affect the sound as compared to a straight Duelund Mundorf shootout

You could just as easily do the same thing with Duelunds as the cost hardly differs between different values in the typical preamp range (eg 0.47 to 3.3uf) . I did in fact do just that several years ago but did not do any AB comparisons, though it did sound pretty mighty with the value doubled to 1uf.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Just found a source of KR 5U4G Lampizator Anniversary edition. They have several if anyone is interested. Drop me a PM and I'll PM you the info/website. Talked to them and these tubes are new and come with KR warranty.

Cheers

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
To how the hell are you man.
I have piars of all of thise tubes lol. I mostly by pairs if I like them a lot.
What no taks or western electric in that list

Have you ever tried a simple solid state recti ?
They come close and in some ways better as in bass details.
It a little harder every where else.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Selling pair of KR PX25, 400 quid.

Another friend is selling PX4 for same price

+ postage. Please PM of interested.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hi guys, hi Al! It's been a while since we compared our Big 7s in Queens!

Sorry for the cross post, realized that you were talking about caps here.

In the process of upgrading from B7 to GG. Any thoughts on output cap options? For a while Duelunds were preferred, then Jupiters now Mundorfs. Not sure what experience people have with these. Anyone tried the super $$ Duelund Silvers?
In particular, any thoughts regards Duelund Cu/Ag hybrid vs Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil Supreme?

Thanks!

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hi Seatrope, yup: was getting bored with my jupiter cast pio's that came in my B7 so I asked Lukasz what to try and I did... they're tremendous and sound it too: check this out : Mundorf Supreme Gold / Silver.. purposely NOT in oil ( said Lukasz) but check out the size ( and I'm writing this correctly): 4.7 uf each ... yes: 4.7! That's where the decimal is! They're tight but they fit.. what's the difference like? Airy natural spaciousness.. kick butt bass that's off the charts ... and beautiful effortless extension right through the roof.. In my mind it's now a no brainer for single ended B7's and I think the balanced designs can fit 4@2.2 uf each...Imho...excellent.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi – if you A/B one Mundorf cap against the 80 Euro Duelund, it is hard to tell, and also, during our AB the Mundorf won, but don’t read anything into it. The 400 Euro Duelund was, maybe, marginally better, maybe not. Like Lissnr said, adding the Mundorf’s in higher capacity might make a difference. You should leave the decision to Lukasz. These guys seriously AB to find the best results. They have toggle switches, and the CD player can loop, so that they can blind test quite easily. So reading internet forums and deciding is not the best way.

That said ? - my distributor has the Mundorf’s and my Jupitered dac sounded better than his. More fuller. Audiophile Bill has a Duelund dac, and once I will take mine there to compare. But might be June or July.

That said, it will be tough to attribute differences to the caps alone. So best is to ask for Mundorf or Jupiter. In the factory, my dac sounded the best. No, serious.

Also ask for gain to be adjusted to suit 242. This is a must.

And the difference between big 7 and GG, which was initially small, is now quite high. You are in for a delight, especially if you had non-R2R before, and listen to complex music, like orchestra. The GG R2R with clock etc will be a massive upgrade, and the DSD 512 engine does DSD better than the other DSD engine that comes with the PCM

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Good morning. Seatrope call me maybe we can get together as before yours or mine. My new head dac has caps called lampi and something else I don't know what they are lol but it's more transparent than my big 7 with mundorf. Also with caps you can use a bypass cap it's used in cross overs. My new IRS v cross overs use mundorf like my big 7

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Good morning bonzo, lissnr, Al. Great to hear back from you all!

Thanks for all your input. Very interesting experiences you guys have had. Maybe best to trust Lukasz although that 4.7 uF idea is cool, lissnr. Was the 10x larger capacity at Lukaszs suggestion or at your own initiative?

Al, I'd love to but since we did our compare I moved to LA and now to Maine! So if you're ever up here swing by but I'm not in LIC anymore. I have a much bigger room now tho with a whole different setup (Tannoy Westminster GR/Pass XA30.8).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing