Threshold Audio, and their GREAT Response about Updating my Vintage Threshold Gear

DaveSpectral

Aug 30, 2010
Near Chicago
Here is the email that I sent, and their answer. I am aware of Jon Soderberg, and the great feedback that people give him, but here is another option. When you think of what you get as a final unit, compared to what's out there at similar prices of vintage + updates, these are GREAT DEALS!

Hi!
I have the following vintage Threshold equipment:
Power amps:
S-200
S-300 (two of them)
S-300 with the “e” mod (to 350-e)
S-450e
Line level:
Fet-10e line level preamp
Fet-10e cartridge gain preamp, (phono preamp)
Dac-1e Dac
Please tell me what upgrades that you can perform on them. I am open to any options that you have. In particular, I was wondering if you can install balanced inputs on the S-200 and the S-300 power amps. Any advice that you have, I would appreciate very much.

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your inquiry. We do not install balanced inputs on the
S/200 and S/300 power amps. On the models you have, we would replace
the power supply capacitors, rectifiers, rebuild the FEB (front-end),
replace worn down items such as the power switch, RCA jacks, fuse
holders, etc. BIAS level is adjusted to proper specifications.

On both FET-10e models, the external power supply capacitors, internal
electrolytic capacitors, and power circuit relay are replaced. In
addition, the volume control pot is replaced on the line-level preamp as
well, a normal maintenance item.

At this time, we do not have any upgrades on the DAC 1e.

To service these models, you are looking at:
S/200 - $700
S/300 - $750
S/450e - $850
FET-10e line-level - $600
FET-10e phono - $500

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
Kevin
Threshold Audio, Inc.

Their Email: support@thresholdaudio.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Comprehensive and affordable at the same time. What's not to like?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A very interesting proposal to owners of Threshold vintage equipment. The updates seem to be well thought - most of the time people only replace the electrolytic capacitors and the power switches. But if there is an area where modern semiconductors have significantly better performance than vintage ones is power diodes - and replacing rectifiers with new ones is a very good decision, particularly as these components are not expensive at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing