Arrival The movie

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is a movie I'd like to see, I like the actress ..

My hopes are high ...
perhaps as good as "Contact" was? Asking too much?

i have been repeating it here. I want to see, Science Fiction that goes beyond what we have and/or are doing today. When I see people piloting Spaceships, I no longer can connect.. We'll no longer drive cars in 10 years... And people punching with their bare fists to solve issues or using hand weapons (pluuuuuhze)or worse Swords ... swords:rolleyes:

Mind you I can still get entertained by Star Trek but...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Shame about the digital filters, the two-toned or monochrome scenes.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sure reminds me of the SyFy's 'Childhood's End'. Which I recommend btw. In fact that parts of it appear directly taken from it.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
That looks like it has the potential to be an excellent movie. Hope it turns out that way. Wasn't aware that movie was being made so thanks for the tip.

I agree with the OP, better an intelligent science fiction movie than another shoot 'em up. We've had plenty of the latter.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I love sci-fi too but hate the unintelligent mass-market sci-fi like Independence Day. I prefer the films that make you think, not just try to thrill you.

This looks like it could be a schlopp, but I guess we'll see.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is interesting:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/20/asia/arrival-film-hk-poster-blunder/
http://petapixel.com/2016/08/19/arrival-movie-poster-mocked-embarassing-photoshop-gaff/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/arrival-poster-controversy-shanghai-building-920865

People are sensitive to posters depicting the right locations. You just don't arrive like this without getting your buildings straight.
_______

_______

Did you guys see this flick (1996 - twenty years old):

I like it.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
That looks like it has the potential to be an excellent movie. Hope it turns out that way. Wasn't aware that movie was being made so thanks for the tip.

I agree with the OP, better an intelligent science fiction movie than another shoot 'em up. We've had plenty of the latter.

Check the big 'Did you watch a movie last night' thread, I posted about it there.

As for intelligent Sci-Fi films, the last two that did it for me were the superlative 'Interstellar' and the thought-provoking 'Ex Machina'.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I saw the movie last night; I thought it was a masterpiece, worthy of an applause at the end

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I saw the movie last night; I thought it was a masterpiece, worthy of an applause at the end

Will go see it next week .. I had a good feeling about it ...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

So, looking forward to the next Blade Runner?

How about if he gets to make a new Dune as well?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
saw the movie today with my son and my nephew. I thought it was a fabulous movie...yet one more Amie Adams film this year. If she's in it you can bet it's a good movie

The ending I thought was terrific with some things left to ones' interpretation.

Definitely worth seeing and almost certainly will garner a Best Picture nomination among several others, I bet. The editing was superb

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A lot of symbolism and allegory. Like the shape of the spaceships - I thought they were like that because they don't really matter - the movie has nothing to do with the spaceships, interior or exterior. Glad you liked it.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The Arrival: Well made, well acted , beautiful movie. leaves wanting for more... Captivating performance by7 Amy Adams and subdued, effaced, flowing performance by Jeremy Renner... The editing is up to the general excellence of this movie... sound effects are that effective, yet powerful if the story calls for it.
This movie, people, is good...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing