Dialling in active crossovers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gentlemen, I thought I might start a thread on an area I have zero experience/confidence of
That is using an external crossover, specifically active, like the Pass Labs XRV1 or First Watt B4
I'm asking this as I research possible upgrade from my Zus to restored Graz Apogee Divas
These can be set up
1-single amp/passive crossover
2-biamping/passive crossover
3-biamping/active crossover
This last option involves preamp to active x/o, which sends adjusted signal to bass amp, and another adjusted signal to second amp which then drives an Apogee filter which sends separate signals to mid and tweeter
I like the idea of active bi amping, because especially with Apogees and my tube amps, it will boost efficiency a few dB's, but I've looked at the Pass crossover setup instructions, and it's 30+ pages of sheer impenetrability

This is all s little ironic because a major Zu USP is its lack of traditional crossover, relying on a couple of Duelund caps/resistors to low and high pass filtets

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What exactly is the question?

It's not really difficult Mark for as long as adjustments for turnover frequency, slope and gain are all on the front panel. If you will still be using the passive mid and treble crossover, you can just knee the response at its mechanical roll off frequency to save the watts and adjust the output for the bass panel the same way one would on a subwoofer plate amp. Now if you'll need to use internal jumpers it can get inconvenient but the principles are exactly the same. If you look at the bright side however, even with jumpers, once you get things right, you shouldn't have to use them ever again.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Here is a (mediocre) pic of the inside the midrange bandpass control module of my PassLabs XVR1.

The photo shows about 60% of the acreage inside the case. The bottom 3/4 of the pic is the left channel. The right channel above, mostly out of the photo is the same. The other control module has the low pass to the woofers and the high pass to the tweeters

The build quility is superb and as Jack said, once you have it set. you're done.

Attachments

• UNIT #1 midrange bandpass.jpg
    UNIT #1 midrange bandpass.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 428

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While inconvenient I do think jumpers are the way to go in a fixed installation. Every so often potentiometers get gummed up and need to be "wiped" leading you to start all over again. Dirty pots can be a source a lot of degradation. I don't see this happening with jumpers.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I converted my speakers to active in stages. I am currently implementing a digital active crossover - so I have plenty of experience with crossovers.

But I have to second what Jack said - what is your question?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I obviously haven't explained myself at all
On tha Apogees thread, the instruction manual of the XRV1 has been downloaded, all 30+ pages of it
I can't make heads nor tails of it
Just how do I even start to penetrate its complexity?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
spirit

Before jumping in, let me be frank and ask you some questions. I will apologize if these are deemed improper and will gladly remove this post

Do you have an idea of what a crossover does? What slopes are and how they relate to drivers performance?
Are you very clear on why you want to go active?
Of the trade-offs involved?
Of the increase complexity of the system?
Of the serious cost involved in cabling active systems?
That you may need to measure your speakers ( I would recommend that you do)?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No Frantz, perfectly fine
I was under the impression that biamping Apogees esp with tubes to mids/treble and SS or hybrids to bass, and with efficiency gains to be had going active which would benefit tubes with demanding loads, would mean active a no brainer
I will admit these qs are not my strong point
And finding a consultant familiar with active crossover install, but also tube/SS/ribbons might be hard to find, esp in the UK

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm happy for this thread to be rolled up, I've obviously asked questions which by their nature mean I shouldn't even go near active LOL

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) That you may need to measure your speakers ( I would recommend that you do)?

Besides measuring the size and the weight, I have real doubts that any of us knows and has the conditions to properly measure panel speakers ... Not to speak about interpreting the results!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Besides measuring the size and the weight, I have real doubts that any of us knows and has the conditions to properly measure panel speakers ... Not to speak about interpreting the results!
As opposed to measuring cone speakers ...???

So you'll go active and not measure the relative levels of the drivers? Interesting method... :rolleyes: To each its own I suppose.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As opposed to measuring cone speakers ...???

So you'll go active and not measure the relative levels of the drivers? Interesting method... :rolleyes: To each its own I suppose.

Surely. Planars are not point sources and can not be measured as typical cones. Do you know why Magneplanars, Soundlabs and Apogees sound great and measure miserably in typical reviews?

I have told before - I am not against properly carried measurements when properly documented and used. I am against the simplified pseudo "measurements" that spread in audio forums, that are misleading, although they can be excellent placebos ... ;)

Can I ask you how you would measure "the relative levels of the drivers"? How would you then correct for the different phases of the passive and active crossover? IMHO everything is simple when we just theorize on a subject. BTW, I have tried to emulate the crossover of the Soundlab's with the Behringer DSP crossover - I spent a lot of time on it and the result was a disaster.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
microstrip

You try to fight battles when there is none to be fought... I'll entertain you.

He goes on and get to his amp and crossovers.. Do you suggest him to measure the level of the drivers by ears? Or would you suggest a method?
Come on man . Did I post anywhere that it was going to be easy?
Are you actually asking another person to embark in active crossover without at least finding a way, however flawed to measure the level of his speakers' drivers... No measurements? Really!? Because taking measurements is so difficult it is best not to take any? and that said with a straight face?

Since you know how. Just propose him a process, a method. That is what he's asking for. Not for you to prove to him that I am wrong.
Now the fact you, I repeat you had a disaster with the Behringer, is a proof that it can't be done???? Really? :rolleyes:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
microstrip

You try to fight battles when there is none to be fought... I'll entertain you.

He goes on and get to his amp and crossovers.. Do you suggest him to measure the level of the drivers by ears? Or would you suggest a method?
Come on man . Did I post anywhere that it was going to be easy?
Are you actually asking another person to embark in active crossover without at least finding a way, however flawed to measure the level of his speakers' drivers... No measurements? Really!? Because taking measurements is so difficult it is best not to take any? and that said with a straight face?

Since you know how. Just propose him a process, a method. That is what he's asking for. Not for you to prove to him that I am wrong.
Now the fact you, I repeat you had a disaster with the Behringer, is a proof that it can't be done???? Really? :rolleyes:

No Frantz, IMHO the responsibility of suggesting a valid method is yours. People systematically use the word measurements in audio with the same casualness they would suggest to use a meat thermometer to roast a turkey. I just warned that, unless you know what to do the casual measurement will be misleading.

And yes, most of the time it is better to have no measurement than a wrong and misleading measurement. IMHO this is one the cases.

I (and others better than me) explained long ago why the simple DSP crossovers with the basic functions can not emulate in practice real passive speakers. We even had long threads on converting passive designs to active designs in WBF some years ago.

And yes, I was only reporting my humble experience. It is easy to show a mathematical proof that the basic filter functions can not reproduce such complex waveform due to the interaction of the passive crossover with the capacitive load of the panels, as I have measured with REW, but as I was not proving anything, no one would learn anything from it and I have better things to do, I will just smile at your usual "rolleyes". BTW, I am really expecting that one day you will provide WBF with your great measurements, and we will then post about them ...

Considering Spiritofmusic future, :) using the knowledge I have got about him from many hundreds of great posts I have read, I would suggest : DO NOT go on and DO NOT get to the amp and crossovers...

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What you are trying to do is simply convert from a passive to Bi-amp set-up. It's not as hard as it sounds on the surface. You need an active crossover that matches the passive network. All you need to do is model the passive network in a good crossover program like LEAP. Once you do that you take the voltage drive from the passive network and use that as your target curve for the active network. This can all be done in LEAP. You may have to tweak the existing passive high pass crossover but this can also be modeled for the values.

Once the curves match you are essentially done. You can measure the speakers to verify driver levels and phase. I have done this with excellent results using this method

Rob:)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Can I ask you how you would measure "the relative levels of the drivers"? How would you then correct for the different phases of the passive and active crossover?

Hello micro

You need to be doing this in a good simulator. Read my previous post. It's really easy to measure the driver levels and there won't be any phase differences if you model it correctly and match the slope and driver polarity.

Rob

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What you are trying to do is simply convert from a passive to Bi-amp set-up. It's not as hard as it sounds on the surface. You need an active crossover that matches the passive network. All you need to do is model the passive network in a good crossover program like LEAP. Once you do that you take the voltage drive from the passive network and use that as your target curve for the active network. This can all be done in LEAP. You may have to tweak the existing passive high pass crossover but this can also be modeled for the values.

Once the curves match you are essentially done. You can measure the speakers to verify driver levels and phase. I have done this with excellent results using this method

Rob:)

Rob,

Thanks for helping making my point - proper adequate tools and deep knowledge are needed. LEAP is an advanced CAE tool for speaker designing. LEAP is not exactly freeware and a some training is needed - my congratulations on using it. I have contacted it long ago, but never used it, when trying to measure Thiele-Small parameters of subwoofers to design a dipole subwoofer for Quads.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello micro

You need to be doing this in a good simulator. Read my previous post. It's really easy to measure the driver levels and there won't be any phase differences if you model it correctly and match the slope and driver polarity.

Rob

Yes, I know about it - the question was not aimed at experts! ;)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I think that some of these replies don't help the OP. In my experience, using software like LEAP is not required.

Implementing crossovers is both easy and complicated. Grasping the basics is quite easy. But a proper implementation, understanding the effects of crossover slopes on phase, and attempting some advanced functions - that is difficult.

This is what I did when I converted my speakers to active:

1. Take measurements of your system (using freeware like REW) and decide what crossover point and slopes you are going to use. I take Microstrip's point that panel speakers are not as easy to measure as cone speakers - because of the large radiating surface and the fact that it is difficult to remove the room influence when measuring drivers - but it is still better than nothing.

2. Remove the passive crossover from the speaker. In my case - unscrew an access panel, cut off the wire, re-solder the cable from the driver directly to the speaker terminals.

3. Study the passive crossover and confirm that the values used in the passive x-over are exactly the same as what you measured. If you are in doubt what the capacitor and choke values mean, ask someone who knows. Also take note if there are other corrections within the x-over, e.g. notch filters.

4. Replicate the settings exactly with your active crossover. In my case, I was using a digital crossover as a development tool. Much easier to make changes this way. As a side note, digital crossovers can be quite inexpensive. You can pick up a MiniDSP for a couple of hundred bucks.

5. Repeat the measurement of your system and listen to hear if you like the sound.

Of course, you may not be aiming to remove the passive crossover from your system. If you wanted to, you COULD simply high pass (i.e. allow higher frequencies to pass) your mid/treble and use your valve amp, and low pass bass into your SS amp - and rely on the internal passive crossovers of your speakers to sort things out. There are both pros and cons to doing this. The main con is that you now have two crossovers in the signal path. This will really mess up your phase coherence at the crossover point. The main pro is that you have now relieved your valve amp of having to drive the bass. Whether you ultimately come out on top with such an approach ... you will just have to try and see.

The BEST way to use an active crossover is the way I have mentioned. Remove the passive crossover, and convert your speaker to active. Give each driver its own channel of amplification.

I won't pretend that I did it all myself. I had plenty of help from speaker designers, and I had to be prepared to shell out money for consultancy fees.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The way I would do it is as follows.

1) Remove the passive crossover completely...make all channels active.
2) Get a digital crossover (a cheap Behringer DCX24/96 or MiniDSP will do) or software based active crossover and the amps you want to use and begin to experiment with xover frequency, xover type (1st, 2nd, 4th, butterworth, bessel etc.) and relative driver levels (might prefer something different than was dialed in passively).
3) Once you have got what you think is optimal (hopefully you have measured a bit as well to make sure you didn't get something wacky) then you can talk to Marchand and get a nice tube crossover with the exact settings you determined from your experiements OR you can get a different and significantly more expensive digital crossover that has digital outputs. In the first, you will have a somewhat expensive but not excessively so analog tube active xover. The other will be fully digital so you can keep playing around...also with time alignment but you will need to buy at least two or three DACs to handle the digital outputs. Of course you want really good DACs, not what is built-in the digital xover so this will cost.
4) Hook it all up and listen to music and hope that you did step 2 correctly...of course if you go with the more expensive option of the Digital xover with digital outs and DACs you can readjust everything as you wish...this could also simply be step two if you think you really want the digital route.

Now the downside is that for analog lovers, the idea of digitizing everything is not a pleasant thought and then the analog active xover is a must. I must caution anyone doing analog xover route that all the ones I have heard are unacceptably coloring the sound with a SS "haze" overlay on the sound. The closest I had to a good one was the Accuphase F25 that I imported from Japan (fortuneately you can switch the voltage but it was a pain)...but it had a slight dampening effect on dynamics that I ultimately didn't like. The Bryston BP10 is also no good for ultimate listening. The Audio Research EC-2B was pretty good as I heard it on a friend's big Apogees but it is a tube crossover. We were also doing the part active/passive thing there.

You can do the digital xover with digital outs for relatively cheap from Mini-DSP but I don't know how well it works...haven't tried it. I know DBX makes a big studio model that has digital outs and costs about $3K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing