Mercedes 2016 GT-S AMG Biturbo

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had my SL 55 AMG in for service yesterday and there were 2 of these in the show room. I drove a loaded one in black and it was a pistol. It blows away my SL55 which has the same BHP of 503. The GT-S is a smaller engine but holy crap was this car fast and gorgeous to drive. It ids clearly aimed at Porsche. I didn't realize that it replaces the SLS because people didn't like the gull wing doors. Go figure

My car is getting older and I am considering this baby. I have to decide if I want a retractable hard top as they don't come in this model.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/mercedes-benz_amg-gt_2016#image=100489953

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What -- you want to start racing golf carts to your clubhouse? :)

I feel like I am going to get arrested when I go 50 mph in your area!

I love the retractable hardtop on our SLs. If anything I personally would "downgrade" my SL550 to the new 6 cyl SL and maintain the same horsepower to weight ratio with a lighter weight car.

Steve Williams

I love my AMG but even though it has been meticulously serviced things are beginning to go on it. It's in until Friday for another $3K of service repairs.

I do love the retractable hardtop Ron but the GT-S AMG biturbo takes me back to my Porsche days. This car is faster than its big brother the SLS at half the price. No gull wing doors but identical rear end

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Sweet looking vehicle. I just sold my '14 Porsche 991 c4s last week. The new turbo c4s is quite a upgrade...in power and improved steering/handling. The latter was a surprise...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I find the GT-S bulbous and not pretty. I generally don't care for long hood/short deck cars.

Steve Williams

I find the GT-S bulbous and not pretty. I generally don't care for long hood/short deck cars.

That's why the world has chocolate, vanilla and strawberry Ron. The wheel base is identical to our SL. It screams with speed and torque

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
buy it , YOLO...
Get a totally WILD colour..burnt metallic copper or something like that

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

The Jag E type was pretty nice with its long hood/short deck. To me this GT-S actually looks like the child of a Jaguar mother and a Porsche 911 father. I like the rear quarter view, but not the front end. I bet it drives great, though.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sweet looking vehicle. I just sold my '14 Porsche 991 c4s last week. The new turbo c4s is quite a upgrade...in power and improved steering/handling. The latter was a surprise...

This explains why you have not yet ordered the new Rockport Lyra. Congratulations John. I regret ever selling my 1971 911T Targa and may never be lucky enough to have another Porsche.

Steve Williams

I drove the black one because the other one on the show room floor was a special $8K upgrade brilliant Yellow
with a black front and rear spoiler. It had a moonroof which I liked but it also had yellow stitching on the seats.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If the maintenance isn't your fancy then it makes more sense to seek a different manufacturer than Mercedes. For example Porsche and Audi rank in the top 5 for reliability instead of middle to bottom half. Even so, the comfort can't be overstated if the Mercedes is a fit you can't get elsewhere; bite the bullet so to say.

Steve Williams

Ive owned them all and driven most others. Cars were more my thing back then more so than stereo. Mercedes is my gig. I won't change brands . I bought my first Mercedes in 1985. It was a 1965 SL. Since then my wife and I have each owned one for all but 3 of the past 30 years and I'm in my comfort zone

It's interesting that some one mentioned the look of the old Jag XKE mated with a Porsche. I couldn't agree more

The car is so fast that I wasn't prepared for the experience. I like the look frankly as my first impression when I saw it from the rear when entering the show room it looked like a used SLS for sale until I saw the doors

I've been loving my car and have never had a problem but it being 11 years old things frankly need to be replaced and leaks fixed. Your car will do the same. This has only been in the past year and I love my car and haven't been following the new models so I was quite surprised and more so when I drove it. I wasn't aware that the SLS and the GT-S are made entirely by AMG.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Still quite happy with my Mercedes CL 63 AMG. Not considering the new(er) S coupe versions because the audio hobby required large investments.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't hold that sort of brand loyalty when the brand doesn't reciprocate, but I'm willing to go a great measure for what I want even when it's not "correct" or such. As in I don't always go with what some would believe to be best, either.

Mercedes certainly made some of the most dependable long lasting vehicles ever known to man, in another time. I'm actually considering buying a restored 70's model at some point.

Steve Williams

Still quite happy with my Mercedes CL 63 AMG. Not considering the new(er) S coupe versions because the audio hobby required large investments.

Interesting you should mention when we think car expense as in the same showroom was a pearl white convertible. I thought from the distance it was the new 2017 E series but as I got closer this thing got huge and I saw it was an S Series cabriolet with beautiful leather interior and other appointments. This could easily replace a Bentley or a Rolls Royce. Sticker n the window was $206K

Rudolph it's getting to be that these darn Mercedes are getting to be as expensive as a speaker.

Grr, what is the world coming to? :)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Interesting you should mention when we think car expense as in the same showroom was a pearl white convertible. I thought from the distance it was the new 2017 E series but as I got closer this thing got huge and I saw it was an S Series cabriolet with beautiful leather interior and other appointments. This could easily replace a Bentley or a Rolls Royce. Sticker n the window was $206K

Rudolph it's getting to be that these darn Mercedes are getting to be as expensive as a speaker.

Well Steve, I suppose it all depends which speaker you take into account. The retailprice of my Tidal La Assoluta speakers trumps the retailprices of the latest Mercedes s coupe versions. According to my wife - who does not (really) care for audio and (expensive) cars - these silly prices indeed demonstrate that my world is getting crazy.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Once you go AMG, you never go back!! The GT-S is quite a bit less expensive than the SL63/65. A friend of mine has a Brilliant Blue GTS and I got to drive it. I've got confirmation from AMG that the Roadster will be available 3rd Q of 2017. That's the one I'm waiting for as well. The GT-R will be available at the end of the year!!

The wife works at Boeing and took it to work one day and instantly got addicted to the power and sound. Boeing is having a car show tomorrow. Our Beast will be front and center!!

Steve Williams

Once you go AMG, you never go back!! The GT-S is quite a bit less expensive than the SL63/65. A friend of mine has a Brilliant Blue GTS and I got to drive it. I've got confirmation from AMG that the Roadster will be available 3rd Q of 2017. That's the one I'm waiting for as well. The GT-R will be available at the end of the year!!

The wife works at Boeing and took it to work one day and instantly got addicted to the power and sound. Boeing is having a car show tomorrow. Our Beast will be front and center!!

I totally agree about the AMG Bruce and thanks for the heads up on the roadster I will bide my time

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing