Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AQ Niagara vs Shunyata vs EquiTech vs. SilverO vs. Torus vs. ?? What are differences?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    You need to try a DC blocker, as DC component present on your AC mains seems to be saturating the transformer core, causing it to hum.
    DC blockers are usually very effective removing mechanical hum due to DC, but add a capacitive series impedance to mains - something most people do not appreciate. The BURMEISTER 948 could remove DC without inserting serial elements, but was really expensive.

I have sound that in equipment coming from the US, many times the mechanical noise was due to 3rd and 5th harmonic of the mains - connecting the equipment to a pure wave regenerator solved the mechanical noise, although it could degrade overall performance. As always, we have try and listen.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , the Forsell Air Force One, the ARC Phono 2SE and the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : ARC REF40 + ARC REF250, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage feet ...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! sujay's Avatar
    Hi,

I have the Bryston BIT 16 which is essentially a Torus RM 16, identical in every respect. It has 12 outlets and I have pretty much plugged everything into it including my mono amps and a pair of the REL G1s. I have had excellent results. There is no transformer hum and at the same time, I don't think there is any current starvation even at high SPLs. The system is absolutely dead quiet. I moved from a normal but very high quality power strip from Japan. And in every respect, the system sounded cleaner and more dynamic - probably owing to reduction in overall noise floor of the system.

I am not qualified to comment any further on this technicality so I will stop here. But I can certainly say that the difference that this move caused was substantially positive. Unfortunately I cannot offer any comparisons other than this as I haven't used any other power conditioner. But I doubt anyone can go wrong with the Torus. It is also a brilliant surge protector. And not very expensive. It's heavy though given the 3400 VA transformer.

I gave Bryston/ Torus my entire system details before purchase and they came back pretty confidently saying I wouldn't need anything more than a BIT 16. And as I mentioned, I can't see the system starving for power, no matter how much I crank it up.

Cheers

Sujay

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Feed isolated from domestic supply to audio room via 16mm Copper SWA cable, to
    Bespoke consumer unit CU, to
    Oyaide line into 8kVA Westwick 8K balanced power transformer www.one4power.co.uk to
    Oyaide line back into CU, to
    6 Oyaide dedicated lines, to
    6 Furutech US duplexes
    ---
    I believe my Westwick is the UK equivalent of Equi=Tech, indeed I've been told they are not licenced to sell on each other's territory (US/UK)
    Like Mike L I'm able to easily switch a/b from balanced to regular supply.
    As he has stated, not even close.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Feed isolated from domestic supply to audio room via 16mm Copper SWA cable, to
    Bespoke consumer unit CU, to
    Oyaide line into 8kVA Westwick 8K balanced power transformer www.one4power.co.uk to
    Oyaide line back into CU, to
    6 Oyaide dedicated lines, to
    6 Furutech US duplexes
    ---
    I believe my Westwick is the UK equivalent of Equi=Tech, indeed I've been told they are not licenced to sell on each other's territory (US/UK)
    Like Mike L I'm able to easily switch a/b from balanced to regular supply.
    As he has stated, not even close.
    Hi, quite intrigued by your solution. I had mentioned that I am very happy with my Bryston/ Torus unit but am keen to explore. I am a little confused as to how all the components are connected to your Westwick unit. If it makes sense, I can PM you to understand in more detail.

Thanks

Sujay

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Sure Sujay.
    Basically my electrician installed a splitter on the incoming mains to the house, and a new 100A fuse.
    From the splitter, feed A went to the chapel, B to the audio room.
    This means that my power does not get adulterated by the domestics.
    This feed to my room is a 16mm Cu SWA cable. This terminates in my room in a dedicated treated Consumer Unit CU. From this CU we run a single Oyaide line to the balanced transformer, another Oyaide back from the transformer to the CU. And then from the CU, my 6 Oyaide dedicated lines down the depth of my room to terminate in 6 Furutech duplexes, allowing up to 12 components to be powered.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Sure Sujay.
    Basically my electrician installed a splitter on the incoming mains to the house, and a new 100A fuse.
    From the splitter, feed A went to the chapel, B to the audio room.
    This means that my power does not get adulterated by the domestics.
    This feed to my room is a 16mm Cu SWA cable. This terminates in my room in a dedicated treated Consumer Unit CU. From this CU we run a single Oyaide line to the balanced transformer, another Oyaide back from the transformer to the CU. And then from the CU, my 6 Oyaide dedicated lines down the depth of my room to terminate in 6 Furutech duplexes, allowing up to 12 components to be powered.
    Thanks! Let me read some more from their website before reverting with specific questions if I have any
    Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234