One Amigo Visits South East Asia and Hears Some Amazing Systems

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As promised I wanted to chronicle my visit to Manila after the Hong Kong Show. Once done I would like to separate the visit into the fun things that happened so tomorrow I would like to post impressions of my time in Manila as well as all the friends with whom I re acquainted, the great food we ate and finally our epic trip to Palawan which for me is one of nature's great hidden secrets. Also a side trip to Kowloon and another to Macao will be discussed

Our plane for Manila didn't leave until 4:40 so Jack, Keith and I toured the convention center once again to see some things that we felt we missed

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

Steve Williams

JackD201's Room

Our trip to the airport was far more fun than coming from the airport when we took a taxi. This time we took a taxi to the train station checked in our luggage which was transported separately to the airport and we enjoyed another great lunch. I LOVE Asian food and even this simple restaraunt in the train station was no exception. We caught the Airport Express and before we knew it we were at the airport. Only down side was that our flight was delayed an hour and because of traffic on the ground we circled Manila for another hour before being allowed to land. As a result we didn't arrive at Jack's house until somewhere between 9:30-10:00. After meeting Jack's wonderful kids and his wife Margie, Jack and I descended down a flight of stairs where at the foot of these was Jack's elevator used for transporting gear and speakers down to his listening room. At the bottom of the stairs a gentle ramp descended down to some very large double doors which upon opening brought us into Jack's lair. All I can say is what a gorgeous room which was conceived by Jack and with the help of an acoustician was implemented and brought to fruition. Jack's room is like a cave and hence the bottom end sound was simply superb as a result. I have seen photos's of Jack's system both during his initial build and a subsequent one which became necessary after a torrential rain resulted in some flooding. Jack literally had to rebuild his room. This time he sprayed in concrete in such a way under his walls that flooding should never be a problem again. Jack as we know has studied acoustic sciences and played a big part in his room development. All dimensions are prime numbers with 3 meter (H) x 7 meter (W) x 11 meter (L).

Jack's room build (both of them) can be read here

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1740-JackD201-Almost-Done&p=20486&viewfull=1#post20486

I was amazed at how gorgeous. The pictures as great as they are still do not do this room justice. You have to see it and hear the sound to fully appreciate it's true scope and ability. IMO there was nothing lacking. The room treatments blended with the decor and added to the overall beauty of the room. IIRC Jack (and his brother Jim) used the same acoustician for their room designs and he is the head of the local AES in that part of the world (Mike Pedero of Tracks Acoustics). Suffice it to say for my ears it was one of the best rooms I have ever heard. It had been several years since I had a detailed listen to Von Schweikert speakers. In fact the only time I heard the VR11's was years ago at CES when THE Show was still at the Alexis hotel. It was there that I met Albert when he launched the speaker which at the time he was playing it with VAC amps. Albert brought me back that evening and gave me a private demo of the speaker. I really liked it then however I was not prepared for what I was about to hear as Jack's VR 11's were the Mk ll version which had all new drivers as well as crossover.

Jack not only knows how his room should sound but also his acoustic training has taught him how to massage the very best out of his speakers. I was stunned at not only how great the sound was from when I heard the Mk l but how far superior the Mk ll version of this speaker is. The bass was breath taking. Just enough there that it had great authority but never so much that it brought attention to the speakers. They were totally invisible and completely out of the way of the music. Jack's room measures great with nothing that I could hear that would bring my attention to. The music flowed. As tired as I was Jack and I listened to almost 0200 that morning. I just couldn't leave. Jack showed me how his speakers could be changed by toggle switches in the back to produce virtually any type of sound that he desired. I felt I was in that Jazz Club as he played the music. There was clearly suspension of disbelief ad I was transported to the venue of the music

Digital was the first night as Jack's AF1 was going back to Japan for some repairs and in its place he had an AF3 with a Graham Phantom Elite with a new and very, very limited Kooetsu cartridge of which there are only 6 in existence. It is called the Koetsu Jasper. The AF3 however was not played until the next evening after some issues with the speed were resolved.

Jack uses a Lamm M2.2 amplifier

Front End at the time was CH Precision Transport, Ch Precision Dac and Ch Precision power supply.

A Lamm L2 was his line stage along with an EMT Phonostage which had its own power supply as well. The EMT phono stage was a work of art. I had never seen or heard one before and it was terrific.

All cables were Master Built. Jack also uses a Shunyata mini Cyclops in his system.

I think Speaker cables were also Master Built but hopefully Jack will correct me if I made any mistakes

Jack played some great music the first night on digital. This included a terrific album by London Grammar and a demo disk that was given to him by Keith which I really enjoyed. I am hoping to get a copy of that demo disk as it really highlighted Jack's system

In the rear of his room away from the listening area is a table and chairs for others to sit. Boy do I miss the luxury of having a big room and everything it can do.

There was nothing lacking. Jack sat in the back and played music while I was in the sweet spot and not going anywhere

I know that Ron has also heard Jack's room and came away with the same impression as I did. It was probably one of the best sounding rooms I have ever heard. His speakers in his underground lair left nothing go wanting. The sound was simply that good.

The next night when we listened to analog the sound was even better. The Koetsu Jasper produced some of the finest sound that I have heard anywhere. As I stated there are only 6 in existence with Jack and Jim each having one. The sound had a forward presence without being recessed one bit. The bass was to die for. Each speaker has 2 subs, one top and bottom powered each by 1000 watt class D amps and each subwoofer able to be tuned for desired effects. Jack's was perfect.

Not only is Jack knowledgeable in acoustics but his library of music is so eclectic that I could have listened all night. It is simply that good.

For my ears I must admit that the Mk ll VR11 was vastly superior to the initial VR 11 which I heard years ago. The new drivers are larger and use copper voice chills rather than magnesium

Overall Jack hit a walk off home run with this room.

The room is one of the best sonically I have ever heard. Visually it is stunning and so well planned. Jack's large painting on plywood at the front of the room is tilted from the bottom ever so slightly to the top so that reflections are passed off to the ceiling and not into the room.

For those not familiar with Jack's room build it is worth reading in the link I provided at the top.

I had never heard Ch Precision components before. These are superb and rock solid as they are built like a tank. The TechDasAF3 filling in for its big brother totally floored me with the Koetsu Jasper cartridge.

Anyone planning a trip to that part of the world needs to hear Jack's system to get a feel for how great it is and how great his room is

Thank you Jack

Steve Williams

Jadis' Listening Room

soon after Jack and Jim visited me 5 years ago while living in Northern California I also had the pleasure of meeting and hosting Philip who came to my house on probably one of the coldest days in the year. Coming from the Philippines remember Philip's lips being blue with cold but we had a wonderful day and I looked forward to seeing him again in Hong Kong and to hear his system in Manila. Phil and I have become great friends over the years as we not only have music in common but are also die hard NBA fans (Phil for the Celtics and me for the Lakers). Philip is a source of incredibly great music and I am told that he has ways and connections for finding some of the rarest and best music along with Koetsu cartridges and finding rare pressings as well as tubes. Philip's choice of music is vocals and small instrumentals. After many years of gear swapping, Philip has landed on his perfect system and hasn't changed it in many years. You might ask why but for me the answer was obvious as his sound was perfect for what he loves.

Phil's system consists of the following

Speakers are the Magnepan 2.7QRs.

Amp is the ARC VS115.

Preamp and Phono stages are both Minimax.

Turntable is an Avid Diva, with Rega RB300 tonearm, and the cartridge is a Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

IIRC Phil has used his Maggie 2.7's for the past 20 years and they go on ticking

The sound for me was everything I expected and more as I have owned Maggies dating back to the mid 80's. Phil had these set up perfect with a soundstage to die for

Phil has constructed his own wall and ceiling sound treatments and there was nothing dominating the system. The music just flowed. No brightness and no fatigue. Music was superb

Phil played an album favorite of his that he used throughout the week at Jack, Jim's and Sam's houses

The Brothers Four Sing Lennon and McCartney. This record is fantastic and I was given the record later in the week much to my surprise by Jim.

Other records played are shown below. Each one IMO is worth owning.

We only had a few hours to listen that day before heading out to have another memorable Asian lunch hosted by Phil and his wife Ruby and their daughter and son along with Jack and Marge and Cathy and I.

Pictures below show the beauty of Philip's system.

Again for anyone visiting the Philippines this is also a must stop along the way.

Thank you Philip for all of the kindness you showed Cathy and I in Hong Kong and Manila as well as your friendship to me over these past 5 years

Steve Williams

The Sound System Of Mullard88

Sam has been a member of WBF for many years and we have exchanged messages over the years and he has always struck me as being kind, polite and very knowledgeable about audio. I was very much looking forward to hearing this system as TBH I have never heard stacked Quads. A recent description of Sam's system by Philip caught my attention as I was very eager to hear it as well as to meet Sam

A description of Sam's bed room system can be found here...I did not hear that one

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18510-Mullard88-s-Bedroom-System

This was the system that I did hear and Philip's photos are far better than mine..

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Listening-Room&p=362957&viewfull=1#post362957

Sam's main system consists of the following......

EQUIPMENT:
CD transport: 47 lab Flat Fish
DACs: 47 lab Gemini and Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC
Line stage: FM Acoustic 268IIC
Power Amps: LAMM M1.2
Speakers: Mark Levinson Stacked Quad 57

DIGITAL CABLES:
Flat Fish to Gemini: 47 lab Ota cable
Flat Fish to Berkeley: unbranded digital cable from The Sound Chamber

INTERCONNECT CABLES:
Gemini DAC to FM Acoustic 268IIC: FM Acoustic
Berkeley DAC to FM Acoustic 268IIC: FM Acoustic
FM Acoustic 268IIC to LAMM M1.2: FM Acoustic

SPEAKER CABLE:
LAMM M1.2 to Mark Levinson Stacked Quad 57: Daniel Hertz

POWER CORDS:
47 lab Flat Fish: stock plugged into MIT Z Isolator HC
47 lab Gemini: stock plugged into MIT Z Isolator HC
Berkeley Audio Design: MIT AC3 plugged into MIT Z Isolator HC
FM Acoustic 268IIC: stock plugged into AC outlet
LAMM M1.2: Entec power cords plugged into AC outlet
Mark Levinson Stacked Quad 57: stock plugged into AC outlet
MIT Z Isolator HC: MIT AC2 plugged into AC outlet

all the components in the digital front end were plugged into MIT Z Isolator HC. The MIT Z Isolator HC in turn is plugged into the AC outlet using an MIT AC2 power cord.

As I stated I have never heard stacked Quad 57's and I was gob smacked at the sound. It was clean, effortless and as beautiful as anything I had ever heard. Room dimensions were similar to those at Jack's room. Sam lives in a beautiful condominium complex with 2 units on each floor. Sam is such an ardent audiophile that he bought the condo on the same floor as that on which he lives to serve as his sound room.

I was given the seat of honor. Sam is a die hard analog guy but inspire of his two turntables neither were set up that day. Sam I discovered is a collector who still owns probably every component that he has ever purchased. His FMA line stage was fantastic. His digital that day was no slouch and I have included photos of some of the music he played. The album by the Amicis I thought was fantastic and have both their albums on order

My pictures don't do justice to Sam's system but they include so many arms and cartridges and speakers that I have never ever heard of. He also had a pair of Quad 63's as well.

Some of the things I saw....

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Steve Williams

The sound in this room was spectacular just the way electrostatic should sound. After we listened for a few hours Sam took me into the adjacent room where he stores his equipment. his was a veritable museum and treasure trove of mint vintage gear which Sam owns and continues to rotate through his system. Much to my amazement every component was covered with a habnd made cover with the front monogrammed with what the component is. The only museum of this kind that I know of which competes with Sam's is that of ddk (David). It was like being a kid in toy land at Christmas.

Sam is also an avid golfer and in his room of museum pieces sat Sam's golf collection where I counted no less than 37 complete sets of golf clubs each in their own golf bags.Sam can play a round of golf each week for almost a year and use a different set of golf clubs. Even Jack said Sam had him beat by a country mile

Kudos to you Sam

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing