Steve's Photos-Hong Kong Audio Show 2016

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What an awesome trip. Be sure to tell us about the great food I'm sure you had...

I'm saving the food part for last. I love Asian food and I was treated to the best meals in Hong Kong, Manila and even Palawan.There were some things I couldn't eat but most I had no problem as everything was either new to my palate or just something I have never heard of.

Some of the dishes were a little difficult when the head came with the dish but I was made to understand that everything is eaten. I stopped at eyeballs and brains but was given the "cheek"of many of the fish we had as I was also told that it is considered an honor to be allowed to eat the cheeks so thanks to Jack, Philip and Sam for affording me that luxury.

In one word the food was "fabulous". In fact since my knee surgeries I have had a devoted daily work out and meal schedule which has helped me lose weight. I fell off the wagon these past two weeks but it's all good :)

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I've been to China but not Hong Kong. Looks like I will need to get there one of these days.

Looks and sounds like a fabulous trip. Glad it worked out so well for you.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve,

Great narrative about the Show plus pictures. Hong Kong has been my go to place since the late 70s for a real quick change of breeze. East meets West there. As for crazy driving, the city of Manila can pose a serious challenge there, not just in speed, but in real craziness left and right. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I ham it up for one second and TWO of you get a pic? You guys should be sports photographers! LOL!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the hard work, Steve! Fantastic trip and definitely looking forward to reading more!!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David

On day one there was no arm on it. We played hooky and went to Macau on day two. On day three, there was an arm on it but no cart. Go figure. I guess thant means it wasn't totally "static" :D but unless it played when we weren't around. it was totally silent.

Jack

Hi Jack,
Trying to figure out if it's a marketing ploy or still a work in progress. You already know how air can interfere with the sound, all those air chambers, hmmm...

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve,
Nice to see your great photos - can we know what were your five favorite systems?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Steve,

Amazing photos and overwhelming amount of equipment I have never heard of. Can't wait to hear your comments on the sounds of the show and especially the private systems and trip experiences. To say that I am envious is a major understatement.

russ

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Jack,
Trying to figure out if it's a marketing ploy or still a work in progress. You already know how air can interfere with the sound, all those air chambers, hmmm...

david

When I spoke to Dietrich on Sunday he indicated he had sold 4 of the tables at the show.

It was not supposed to be a static display, however the organisers said the table had to be dismantled for transport due to the size. He did not have enough time to set up completely for the show.

The suspension is based on the very large industrial scientific isolation platforms. Built like a brick shithouse and you can certainly see a lot of capital in the table . It was certainly complex at the back of the beast. Crazy big thou.

28425149134_a2e9d17715_b.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
When I spoke to Dietrich on Sunday he indicated he had sold 4 of the tables at the show.

It was not supposed to be a static display, however the organisers said the table had to be dismantled for transport due to the size. He did not have enough time to set up completely for the show.

The suspension is based on the very large industrial scientific isolation platforms. Built like a brick shithouse and you can certainly see a lot of capital in the table . It was certainly complex at the back of the beast. Crazy big thou.

Is the hose distribution built inside the upper part of the chassis where the platter is or lower in the base?

Edit- usually there's 5-6 days from start of setup period to end of the show, how long can assembly take?
david

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Steve,
Nice to see your great photos - can we know what were your five favorite systems?

As I indicated most of the listening rooms were modular, small and covered with pleated plastic doors and didn't produce great sound

My favorite room was the one with TechDas and Marten speakers as well as Gary's new Forte and Lloyd's new TT (which we couldn't hear). I thought the new TechDas Premium with the titanium platter and SAT tonearm was the highlight of the show.

The VTL/Rockport room was also very good as was the YG acoustics room.

The large Tannoy horns was also very good and well attended so I didn't have a great seat

Finally on a smaller scale, and in one of the modular rooms there was the Boenicke speaker which fascinated me as it was all wood and had wooden drivers and sounded pretty darn good

Steve Williams

Steve,

Steve,

Amazing photos and overwhelming amount of equipment I have never heard of. Can't wait to hear your comments on the sounds of the show and especially the private systems and trip experiences. To say that I am envious is a major understatement.

russ

Russ and Francisco....

the five systems that I heard in Manila were all different but all very intriguing with 2 of them at a level that truly lit my ears up. Stay tuned as I want to get to it today but it is another extremely hot day here in SoCal. Fortunately my jet lag has cleared

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jack,

david

I have no idea David. All I know is that I'm 5'10" and that table made me feel like I had T-rex arms. As somebody already pointed out, it should come with a free stool or step ladder as that platter is waaaaay in there.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the wonderful photos and the narration, Steve!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you Steve, that was nice to read about so many systems and equipment. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the adventure.

Steve Williams

Steve,

Steve,

russ

Thank you Steve, that was nice to read about so many systems and equipment. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the adventure.

The rest of the adventure can be found here

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...mazing-Systems&p=407883&viewfull=1#post407883

Tomorrow I plan on posting pictures of our visit to Lagen Island, El Nido

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Is the hose distribution built inside the upper part of the chassis where the platter is or lower in the base?

Edit- usually there's 5-6 days from start of setup period to end of the show, how long can assembly take?
david

Lower in the base below the platter. It controls the suspension I believe. Dietrich gave the impression it arrived like the day or so before, certainly not 5/6

29012707076_06c66354bb_b.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing