New speaker named Lyra

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Is the 2nd photo the same speaker but without the external cabinet? I like the looks of the 2nd photo better...

Looks like there is 2 shells to the cabinet and they sort of slip them together and then add 150 pounds of elastomer... crazy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Looks like there is 2 shells to the cabinet and they sort of slip them together and then add 150 pounds of elastomer... crazy.

That is true. So different method from YG and Magico that use bracing and lots of fasteners (bolts). Apparently Rockport is casting the metal, vs cutting sheet stock, then the 150 pounds of elastomer is the glue between the 2 shells.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That is true. So different method from YG and Magico that use bracing and lots of fasteners (bolts). Apparently Rockport is casting the metal, vs cutting sheet stock, then the 150 pounds of elastomer is the glue between the 2 shells.

Yes, both YG and Magico are using the technique used by Goldmund since long in their aluminum cabinets - critical bracing to damp the resonances. As far as I remember the first speaker I owned using a double box filled with elastomer between the two MDF boxes was the Dynaudio Contour 4 in the 90's.

BTW, I can not understand how most people forget about one of my favorite speakers - the Krell LAT1000 - when debating aluminum cabinets. I have heard some well known people telling that this speaker was too good to be designed by an amplifier manufacturer ...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
YG uses the "double cabinet", or "speaker within a speaker" build method for the Sonja line, starting at $72k. I believe Magico does the same for the Q7s. I think Rockport added the elastomer to the design.

I actually heard the Sonja 1.3 and a Krell LAT1000 side-by-side, in a customer's room in Brazil, using an all-Krell (Evo One/Two system). He bought the Sonjas, while we're still trying to sell the Krell that we got in trade :)

I've always had great respect for Rockport, they've always captivated me. I can imagine this move towards aluminum will just make a great product even better!

cheers,
alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, both YG and Magico are using the technique used by Goldmund since long in their aluminum cabinets - critical bracing to damp the resonances. As far as I remember the first speaker I owned using a double box filled with elastomer between the two MDF boxes was the Dynaudio Contour 4 in the 90's.

BTW, I can not understand how most people forget about one of my favorite speakers - the Krell LAT1000 - when debating aluminum cabinets. I have heard some well known people telling that this speaker was too good to be designed by an amplifier manufacturer ...

i have heard good things about the LAT1000...but didnt Dan D'Agostino start out as a speaker designer? Also, its interesting, when i first saw some of those marketing schematics showing the inside of the Magico Q7, my first thought was that i'd love to see elastomers around some of that aluminum just to see what would happen. This was based on my (incredibly limited, amateur) experience with Stillpoints and HRS couplers (which have elastomers)...and which i now use together...Stillpoints Ultra 5s on ground, then HRS couplers, then component. I got clarity from Stillpoints keeping my equipment from floor but piano upper mids got a teeny, teeny bit thin (5%-type changes) and for some reason, i got tonal 'density' BACK when i added the HRS coupler.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Seriously this will be one bad to the bone speaker. I envy those who have the privilege of owning this one.

NO wonder I've seen a few Altairs and even an Arrakis for sale.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Rockport has now put up the Lyra on their Products section. Meanwhile, it is interesting to see they have REMOVED Altair..more to come presumably on Arrakis? Arrakis is basically 2 Altairs, one inverted and placed on top of the other...i wonder if we are going to see 2 Lyras, one placed on top of the other? Probably weigh 1100 lbs each speaker!

http://rockporttechnologies.com/lyra-01/

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
rockport has now put up the lyra on their products section. Meanwhile, it is interesting to see they have removed altair..more to come presumably on arrakis? Arrakis is basically 2 altairs, one inverted and placed on top of the other...i wonder if we are going to see 2 lyras, one placed on top of the other? Probably weigh 1100 lbs each speaker!

http://rockporttechnologies.com/lyra-01/

vewy interesting...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
YG uses the "double cabinet", or "speaker within a speaker" build method for the Sonja line, starting at $72k. I believe Magico does the same for the Q7s. I think Rockport added the elastomer to the design.

I actually heard the Sonja 1.3 and a Krell LAT1000 side-by-side, in a customer's room in Brazil, using an all-Krell (Evo One/Two system). He bought the Sonjas, while we're still trying to sell the Krell that we got in trade :)

I've always had great respect for Rockport, they've always captivated me. I can imagine this move towards aluminum will just make a great product even better!

cheers,
alex

Rockport has been using the "filler" between shells since the first Altairs and Arrakis'. ;)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Very impressive, this could be the ultimate loudspeaker enclosure (and for a change, he is not just copying the competition), bravo!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Very impressive, this could be the ultimate loudspeaker enclosure (and for a change, he is not just copying the competition), bravo!

Cannata why do you think rockport uses an elastomeer with an aluminium enclosure , are you telling me the braced aluminum of your favourite brand rings iow . is not perfect ?? lol

Its all about stifness /internal dampening , may the best combo win

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Anyone using speaker units, crossover and enclosures is copying the competition! :D

Most of the time, good engineering is not invention, but just just using the existing knowledge more adequately.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Seems to me the drivers are mounted in the frontbaffle, this driver front baffle is a little bit recessed and then later receives an inlay of absorbant material for example wool felt , which surrounds the drivers .
Seems to be new enclosure design for rockport but rockports earlier housings were very sophisticated as well

Funny thing is that an enclosure has to be stiff and non resonant , and same goes to a certain degree for drivermembranes which then have to be light as well.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why only (braced ) aluminium is not perfect imo although its very stiff , is because sound travels much faster in aluminium then air , you want a dampened material in which sound(vibration ) cannot travel (fast )and is absorbed
Aluminium 6320 M/S versus air 350 M/ sec versus rubber 60 m/s

https://www.nde-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Sound/speedinmaterials.htm

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sound-speed-solids-d_713.html

You might also notice the incredible speed 12000 m/s plus , for diamond and berylium , no dampening at ll in those materials.

Ps and cast aluminium versus extruded versus solid plates will also differ with cast being better in that regard probably but i dont have the numbers

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nope, they remain v expensive spkrs wrapped up in v expensive packing cartons

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing