Austin

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Aluminium enclosure. Interesting.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sorry to be off topic, but as a marketer I'm amused by the lack of marketing acumen in this hobby. To name a speaker after one of the top brands of cartridges is just so silly.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sorry to be off topic, but as a marketer I'm amused by the lack of marketing acumen in this hobby. To name a speaker after one of the top brands of cartridges is just so silly.

Will not make a difference... Another succesful brand named a speaker:Alexia: severe reading problems ). It hasn't hurt sales.

That presages a new speaker to replace the Arakis which was after all 2 Altairs ... Price to be at least twice too ;)

Magico use of Aluminum has clearly become the trend. Would like to know if it is sealed or vented as per past Rockport.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
definitely looking forward to hearing more about this speaker and the new Arrakis replacement. The Altair and Arrakis are 2 of my favorite speakers of all time. Probably fitting within a handful.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes for sure. My dealer has heard them. Says better than my Altair

Interesting! In what ways better? I note that this is smaller than the Altair, which does make me wonder about all-out dynamic scale, volume and power. Anything is possible, but i do wonder about that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Wow impressive.... I bet that's one doozy of a speaker. I would like to hear one some day... but I'm not pressing my luck to do so, it might just make me feel bad for my current set up.

Had the Aviors last year.. but this one is a totally different beast.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Interesting! In what ways better? I note that this is smaller than the Altair, which does make me wonder about all-out dynamic scale, volume and power. Anything is possible, but i do wonder about that.

Dealer says it's around better-a clear step up. Even the bass articulation, power, and depth. Cabinet is more inert/quieter than even my Altairs. Plus it has new drivers. I think this has more volume of space inside than my Altairs. Which have a bigger outside dimension but not as much on the inside apparently. He's says it's Andy's best speaker to date...that includes the Arrakis.

I can't tell you how happy I am with my Altairs. Just amazing....so the Lyra must be really really special...

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Dealer says it's around better-a clear step up. Even the bass articulation, power, and depth. Cabinet is more inert/quieter than even my Altairs. Plus it has new drivers. I think this has more volume of space inside than my Altairs. Which have a bigger outside dimension but not as much on the inside apparently. He's says it's Andy's best speaker to date...that includes the Arrakis.

I can't tell you how happy I am with my Altairs. Just amazing....so the Lyra must be really really special...

John,

Are you thinking of moving up?

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
This would be quite more expensive to move on up. I would have to hear them first of course. I like my Altair's as well. I really don't want to spend another 50,000 and the thought of packing up, selling, and unpacking new ones would be a nightmare. One has to finally be happy with what they have and have to get off the constant upgrade path. What I do like from the new design is the fact that it may be easier to drive and now work with tube amplifiers.:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dealer says it's around better-a clear step up. Even the bass articulation, power, and depth. . . ..

How can bass power be greater with a smaller cabinet and significantly smaller woofers?

The Lyra must be an amazing full-range speaker to pair with subwoofers!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Two 10" woofers, it seems.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How can bass power be greater with a smaller cabinet and significantly smaller woofers?

The Lyra must be an amazing full-range speaker to pair with subwoofers!

I think JFrech was suggesting that his Altairs have less internal volume than the Lyra even though its external volume takes up more space. perhaps that helps explain part of the difference? Additionally, with an even more inert cabinet, with perhaps better drivers/crossovers, perhaps Andy Payor is able to drive the speaker harder without losing any control...including the bass?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Two 10" woofers, it seems.

Will be interesting if he is going to replace the Arrakis as well (which is literally 2 Altairs, one on top of the other)...is he going to run 4 x 10" drivers? 4-tower?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,

Are you thinking of moving up?

Maybe..would take just a killer trade in or resale on my Altairs....just not sure the math will work out here...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Is the 2nd photo the same speaker but without the external cabinet? I like the looks of the 2nd photo better...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing