Subwoofer addition to Sasha

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
i am considering the JL Audio F112 subwoofer. i would like to feel and hear a little more bass when i play my Sasha at low to mid volume.

i am trying the JL now and it is agonising getting it to blend. i do not want to lose any of the sound i have in exchange for better base and more midrange warmth.

please post your experience especially with reference to SASHA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thank you LL21 i can se u have a big DD18+ Please tell me how u have it set up. you may pm me.

Happy to help...i benefited from the distributor himself coming to calibrate the system and show me (twice) how its done.

1. My system is the Wilson X1/Grand Slamms...so i am able to run them full range and NOT have to cross them over which is fortunate in terms of the setup. It means i dont have to worry about a crossover compromising the quality of the full range sound from the main Wilsons.

2. I then placed the Sub in 1 of 2 places where it could possibly go in the room and off-hand, its not bad sound

3. I then used the Velodyne Microphone and test sweep CD to basically play from 15hz-200hz over and over...and OVER again...while making adjustment to the following controls on the Velodyne. Each time the sweep came (it was on infinite repeat on my Transport for about 2 hours)...i could see how each change i made altered the frequency response

- 8 band EQ from 15hz-200hz. I could push up or down the frequency in any 1 of 8 different frequencies that are selectable between 15hz and 200hz
- I can then change the 'Q' around the particular frequency so that if i am suppressing the decibels at that frequency, i can also broadly affect frequencies just above and just below that spot...or very narrowly affect frequencies above and below...(ie, for a 30hz suppression, i could apply it to frequencies between 20-40hz or only 27-32hz
- I can then cut off the Velodyne above a certain frequency and choose the roll off...in my case 42hz at 24db rolloff
- I can then cut off the Velodyne below 15hz using various roll-offs...in my case, 24db again because the room did not tolerate sub-15hz frequencies too well...too much 'roar'
- I can then can minimize or maximize servo response...which self-corrects the cone movement by comparing the signal to the movement 3,000 times/second or something. i always use MAX servo

There were also a few other settings (like movies vs music) which i did.

So far so good...hope that helps. The frequency is now flat from 15hz-200hz to around 3db+/-. and about 1.5db+/- from 20hz to around 100hz.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Thank you for the detailled relply ,Your velodyne has settings for various freqencies. Did you consider other subs before purchasing velodyne

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi...in incredibly in-depth article from Roy Gregory just came out about adding subs to Sashas...you have probably seen it. But just in case, here it is:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/vtl_wilson_system.htm

This article makes me travel back ten years - my only really successful experience with subwoofers was using the Watchdog II with the Wilson Watt/Puppies 7. I have to say it was a period of musical enjoyment. Unfortunately I was never able to get a second similar woofer. Only much later I found that the german Audio magazine had given an higher score to this combination than to the Maxx2's.

BTW, the old Watchdog II was a bargain - it included the controller and a custom 400W amplifier designed by Richard Marsh.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
i tried JL AUDIO F112 V1 and found sound better without sub.
Crossover was at 30Hz on sub but lower notes became slightly muddy. Tried dialling other parameters to no avail. In my space with my equipment the Sasha without the F112v1 sounded better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing