Anticables

craigh

Aug 12, 2016
Germantown, MD
Hi, new to this forum. What is the general consensus about the cables. I was given a pair of phono cables when I got my recent turntable & I think they sound good, better than the cable that was built in to my old Rega turntable. I picked up a pair of speaker cables that I have not hooked up yet (waiting for my wife to go back to work in 2 weeks so I can use my system again). Thank you in advance.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
All good phono cables are shielded coax cables.
End of story.

You have no clue Kevin, and have never even tested your garbage hypothesis. You're a perfect example of all that is wrong with "objectivists" in audio, and I hate to call you that because you're not really objectivist, your completely clueless, have a closed mind and make up your opinions and give others your horrible advice based on completely misguided ideas that you've never actually tested in real life. You're more like an evangelist than a scientist.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I have some very good clues and their names are:
Neil Muncy
Henry Ott
Bill Whitlock
Jim Brown

Dave maybe you should read their papers and books and learn some real electrical cable engineering.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have some very good clues and their names are:
Neil Muncy
Henry Ott
Bill Whitlock
Jim Brown

Dave maybe you should read their papers and books and learn some real electrical cable engineering.

I have, but thanks for ASSuming differently! See, the difference between us is I read and know a lot about the topic, but then I actually experimented with it myself and managed to make improvements beyond the accepted standards in many ways. That's why I sell my cables, they vastly outperform typical coax cables. And so do many other cable companies' offerings as it's not really that hard to make a cable better than a typical coax.

You have no actual experience in any of this and I seriously doubt you even listen to music at all. God knows what you're doing on audio forums besides, in many cases, spewing misinformation. Most people have no clue what makes a good cable and you don't either, but you've managed to read some stuff and form your own very solid opinions without any real experience. Kind of like faith in god... and that's very obvious by your response, name dropping your "gods". It' s just so... pathetic.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi craigh,

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience, cables have a very significant say in how the system sounds. Back in 1980, when I only knew Monster cable and Kimber Kable, they were ear openers for how much sonic improvement they bring to a system. I loved the way they improved the sonics to the extent that I even changed the speaker cable of my boombox. Even though the length was less than one foot, the transformation in sonics was immediately noticeable.

I always consider cables, be they tonearm cables, interconnects, speaker cable, power cables, digital cables, etc, a part of the system and budget for them. For me cables really bring out the potential of the equipment.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi craigh,

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience, cables have a very significant say in how the system sounds. Back in 1980, when I only knew Monster cable and Kimber Kable, they were ear openers for how much sonic improvement they bring to a system. I loved the way they improved the sonics to the extent that I even changed the speaker cable of my boombox. Even though the length was less than one foot, the transformation in sonics was immediately noticeable.

I always consider cables, be they tonearm cables, interconnects, speaker cable, power cables, digital cables, etc, a part of the system and budget for them. For me cables really bring out the potential of the equipment.

I agree 100%. And they don't have to set you back an arm and a leg either. I usually budget around 15% for cables and buy from dealers or direct with companies offering a 30-day trial.

craigh

Aug 12, 2016
Germantown, MD
They have to be better than what I've been using. I was using home made "monster style" cables that I made probably about 15 years ago. I'll twist them a bit more as you suggested Frank.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hi, new to this forum. What is the general consensus about the cables. I was given a pair of phono cables when I got my recent turntable & I think they sound good, better than the cable that was built in to my old Rega turntable. I picked up a pair of speaker cables that I have not hooked up yet (waiting for my wife to go back to work in 2 weeks so I can use my system again). Thank you in advance.

At one point a few years ago I gave the Anticable rage a try but it didn’t take me too long to realize that, in my system, in my room, using my own ears, I thought they were extremely bright and harsh sounding in the High Freq. The other issues I had with them was their barely present dielectric enamel and unwieldy and non conforming flexibility. Getting them to "lay" properly was a challenge to say the least.

There is no way in hell I would ever want to try and wrap them around each other. Just a few nicks missing from the enamel on each pole at just the right spot and your day is done!

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
At one point a few years ago I gave the Anticable rage a try but it didn’t take me too long to realize that, in my system, in my room, using my own ears, I thought they were extremely bright and harsh sounding in the High Freq. The other issues I had with them was their barely present dielectric enamel and unwieldy and non conforming flexibility. Getting them to "lay" properly was a challenge to say the least.

There is no way in hell I would ever want to try and wrap them around each other. Just a few nicks missing from the enamel on each pole at just the right spot and your day is done!

We all hear different in widely different systems. There are no straight answers. From what I have seen, those cables have improved through the years, their enamel is pretty solid, yes they are unwieldy, but for the money I have found nothing to fault their sound. Compared to the fiendishly expensive loom I generally use, they do lack a tad of transparency, but let all the music come through in my system all the same. They are an excellent value for the money I find and would suggest you tske a serious listening. You' ll never know until you've tried them. Your ears should be the judge.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
They have to be better than what I've been using. I was using home made "monster style" cables that I made probably about 15 years ago. I'll twist them a bit more as you suggested Frank.
Yes, as mentioned one has to be very careful that the enamel coating is not damaged in the process of twisting. How I would approach it is to have the two connectors at one end very securely tied down to some heavy object, not necessarily part of the audio system, and put some stretch on the other ends of the cable, tensioned in a straight line, and careful rotate those ends over and over to give a consistent twist to the run. Something like how a rope making machine operates would be ideal, try and imitate how that works would be my advice.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Yes, as mentioned one has to be very careful that the enamel coating is not damaged in the process of twisting. How I would approach it is to have the two connectors at one end very securely tied down to some heavy object, not necessarily part of the audio system, and put some some stretch on the other ends of the cable, tensioned in a straight line, and careful rotate those ends over and over to give a consistent twist to the run. Something like how a rope making machine operates would be ideal, try and imitate how that works would be my advice.

..I did just that several years ago with his speaker cables even soldering high quality connectors. I thought the sound was just ok compared to several others that granted were more expensive. I didn't care for the difficulty in shaping and positioning...for whatever that's worth..

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
..I did just that several years ago with his speaker cables even soldering high quality connectors. I thought the sound was just ok compared to several others that granted were more expensive. I didn't care for the difficulty in shaping and positioning...for whatever that's worth..
Did you find them "bright and harsh sounding in the High Freq." as cjf did?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Did you find them "bright and harsh sounding in the High Freq." as cjf did?

FWIW..at the time I was using them it was with a Pass Labs X250 & B&W 803D2 speakers. I wont say anything too horrible about them only because they were cheap as chips and more of an experiment than anything else so my expectations were commensurate with my out of pocket expense to acquire them. I do think 12ga Zip Cord was better though

craigh

Aug 12, 2016
Germantown, MD
Well, I finally hooked the Anticables up a few days ago. It was very harsh at first, but now after a few days now the sound is getting smoother. Bass isn't different from previous but the midrange is nicer. Listening to Lady Madonna, i heard some of George's guitar work that I never heard before. So far, it's $60 well spent.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
That's good to hear! The cable is not clouding fine detail, which means that any irritating low level distortion will be very obvious, hence that initial harshness. The trick is to realise that that the gains are much greater than the seeming negative, so if the harshness were to persist then the causes for that issue need to be investigated - replacing the cable as a solution would be a bad move, IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing