Spiritland - for the Londonphiles

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I just came across this article and think that this is not only a fantastic business idea, but also helps to spread the hifi-message to a broader audience.
On my next trip to London this will be on my schedule for sure.

http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/spiritland/1.html

Christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow that's easy for me to go to

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Living Voice is involved, too...that sounds interesting.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'll be in London on Thursday. I'll try to check it out. Larry

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Are you going for any live shows here Larry, which have you picked?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
If I was not at the start if a major house construction project, I would be there too, to check out the shops as well as some football.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Are you going for any live shows here Larry, which have you picked?

Kedar, not so much this time of year. We're here mostly for a relative's wedding in Rome. I'll try to get return tickets to Glyndebourne on the 20th (Marriage of Figaro). A friend told me that it's fairly easy to get them on the morning of the performance. I brought my tux so I wouldn't be conspicuous. Also we are seeing a Broadway revue at Cadogan on Friday, the 19th. Maybe a Proms or two and a musical or two on the West End. Unfortunately, Wigmore, Barbican, South Bank have nothing until just after we leave. We'll be back next May-June when there is more good stuff.

Larry

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Great! I'd love to know what someone's impression is like of it.. This isn't the first time I've seen it on the net, just the first time someone I know of will be attending.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Here are my reviews, which already appear in another thread:

Review 1:

I live in London and have been to Spiritland numerous times since it opened in September. I recommend going if you are in London. The food and drink are good, and unusually for London, the atmosphere of the place is relaxed and does not revolve around drinking oneself into oblivion.

The system, which is the one in the picture in the Times article, consists of the large one-off Living Voice speakers in the photo, with Atelier du Triode amplification for the main arrays and Living Voice solid state amplifiers for the woofer units, along with various front ends and, reportedly, a custom mixer of some kind. The system sounds impressive in terms of its dynamic range and frequency extension. In other respects, it has problems--principally, boomy bass, lots of "horny" coloration, and a general lack of any sense of imaging or an ambient soundfield. (I usually sit either at the middle table or at a stool in the middle of the room; I am always in the sweet spot.)

Therefore, it is not the best sound system in the world and is not even as good in basic audiophile performance parameters as the relatively modest system in my living room. Admittedly, I have never seen Spirtland's big Kuzma turntable or Revox reel-to-reel deck in use, but I don't think it's fair to judge the system on the basis of those front ends if they are rarely or never used. The usual front ends are Technics SL-1200s, which evidently have been modified, along with computer files, which, I understand, are run through a DCS converter. (I have not seen the DCS converter and cannot confirm its existence.)

The biggest problem with Spiritland is that letting most DJs touch this kind of equipment is like putting a small child at the controls of an airliner. On Saturday night, the featured DJs ran the tweeters extremely "hot"; the sound was painful. They succeeded only in ensuring that the room was mostly empty (there were perhaps a dozen people in the main room at 11:30 p.m.).

So, go when they don't have a featured DJ (which is during the day, every day) or when there's some indication that the DJ will know what he's doing (e.g., the DJ will be doing a Rudy Van Gelder retrospective). I do recommend the place, and the food and drink are excellent. There's no dancing and no excessive drinking at Spiritland--it's civilized, relaxed and focused on the music.

Review 2:

I went to Spiritland again, and tonight the featured event was a Rudy Van Gelder retrospective.

There was a crowd tonight, perhaps because of the Times article. The ambient noise level was higher than on my previous trips to Spiritland, but I felt that I could still listen to the system. The vibe was fine, though the rest of the crowd did not seem particularly interested in the music.

Disappointingly, the DJ did not use the big Kuzma XL table, sticking to the twin Technics 1200s. On the one hand, the system's sound quality clearly holds potential. Playing those classic Van Gelder records, the system realistically reproduced the sound of horns, and from my seat in the middle of the room, I heard a stable center image on every record played tonight (whether stereo or mono).

On the other hand, boomy, lumpy bass ruined the sound of piano and double bass. The placement of the two big woofer units--while it looks cool--is probably suboptimal. (A photo showing the woofer placement, taken on a previous visit I made, is below.)

In addition, we heard a few CDs before the jazz began. It appeared that the CDs were played through the analog outputs of Pioneer DJ decks--not through a DCS converter. (Only the analog outputs on the Pioneer CD decks were connected, so I don't believe an external converter could have been involved.)

I keep going back to the place hoping to hear one of the three high-end sources (Kuzma XL, Revox reel-to-reel deck, DCS DAC) advertised on their website in use, but the Spiritland staff and their DJs persist in playing everything from Pioneer and Technics DJ front ends.

A disappointing evening from my curmudgeonly audiophile perspective.

And a photo:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29667&d=1478123743

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing