Room Correction vs Room Treatment

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Is there anyone in the area that would be willing to help me get started with taking measurements / has a microphone I can borrow? If not, can I get some recommendations on a good mic to use? I plan on using REW and have read a fair amount on how to get started. Looking forward to recommendations / any help I can get!
What area?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Room correction for frequency balance/response, correction of modes.

Room treatment for control of echo, reverb, reflected sound.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I gave up on REW and went the OmniMic route. Zero learning, zero diddling with soundcard settings, etc. The difference is price. REW is only the cost of the mic ($65) while OmniMic is $300 (including mic, software, test CD's, etc). Should you go that way, I would be more than willing to offer phone help -- and maybe end up at your home since I live only 1.5 hours east (Lake Oconee).

But I believe you can find some REW help in/near Atlanta. I know quite a few who either have used or are still using the PipeDreams - but many have dumped the PipeDream subs (e.g. Marty on this forum but he no longer has Pipe Dreams) and have used others like JL Fathom.

When set up properly with both passive and active room treatment, they can sound super incredible. PM Marty on this forum and he may be able to give you some setup hints. I heard his PipeDream system when he lived in Dallas. Easily one of the two or three best 2 channel rigs I have ever heard.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I actually had a pair of JL F112 subs for a period of time. I will eventually go that route again but sold them to help with the down'payment for my first home. I am slowly but surely building to where I use to be?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I gave up on REW and went the OmniMic route. Zero learning, zero diddling with soundcard settings, etc. The difference is price. REW is only the cost of the mic ($65) while OmniMic is $300 (including mic, software, test CD's, etc). Should you go that way, I would be more than willing to offer phone help -- and maybe end up at your home since I live only 1.5 hours east (Lake Oconee).

But I believe you can find some REW help in/near Atlanta. I know quite a few who either have used or are still using the PipeDreams - but many have dumped the PipeDream subs (e.g. Marty on this forum but he no longer has Pipe Dreams) and have used others like JL Fathom.

When set up properly with both passive and active room treatment, they can sound super incredible. PM Marty on this forum and he may be able to give you some setup hints. I heard his PipeDream system when he lived in Dallas. Easily one of the two or three best 2 channel rigs I have ever heard.

Marty was using a pair of JL G213 GOTHAMS with his Pipedreams.

?I wonder if he is still using them with his new speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing