Solid state amps that emulate tube amps but don't try to copy them...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
what you want is a Class D amp but feed it's signal from your SET. not sure how that is done technically but it's how Evolution Acoustics does their active bass speakers. I think the line level signal is picked up from the on-speaker terminal in some way. and 'gain' has to be adjusted in some way.

this is what his Zus do, currently.

fwiw, I prefer my CTH-8550 to any SET amp I've owned :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
this is what his Zus do, currently.

got to be the way to go if mixing tubes and solid state. otherwise you just end up with a mess.

fwiw, I prefer my CTH-8550 to any SET amp I've owned :)

++++yes....agree. I prefer my dart to any tubes.

I was going to suggest dart 458's as ideal 'emulate tubes without sounding tubey'......but thought better of it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Personally, coming from the CJ tube world (incl amps), i am really enjoying Gryphon. The Antileon was tremendous though a bit dark in the treble...reasonably extended but just recessed relative to the rest of the spectrum. The Colosseum has no issues there, and i have endless power with a surprising delicacy in the mids and treble i admire. In fact, somewhere on AGon i posted about my experiences switching from CJ Tubed amps to Antileon...i think i called the thread "Powerful Tube Amp for SF Strads" or something.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am a big fan of the Aesthetix Atlas Signature hybrid. I think it is very well made, and I think it sounds substantially like a hybrid VTL might sound. The solid-state output stage offers big power (600w into 4 ohms).

If I owned MBL 101E Mk IIs I would drive them with Atlas monos. (I have heard this combination at length.)

+1. Its always a great sounding amp at shows. Really delivers the goods.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I use a McCormack DNA500 amp on my Duetta Sig's. It has all the current and power you need to control an Apogee, but I would strongly suggest using tubes upstream of it in the preamp and phono stage. Not that it has any solid state harshness, it's just that Apogees will bloom even more with tubes in the chain, and you are playing to their strong suit then.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I was going to suggest dart 458's as ideal 'emulate tubes without sounding tubey'......but thought better of it.

In his review of the VTL Siegfried Series II Michael Fremer indicated, during his comparison of the 458 with the VTL, that the 458 was just slightly to the solid-state side of the VTL, which means, to me, that he thinks the 458 does a great job of riding that fine line where the best tubes and the best solid-state meet.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I was going to suggest dart 458's as ideal 'emulate tubes without sounding tubey'......but thought better of it.

Mike,

I also would not say that DartZeel emulates tubes. Although we should not define something by absence, I would say that DartZeel has almost none of the typical "nasties" we generally associate with solid state, and can sound really beautiful.

But intrinsically is not tube like - at less like the tubes I know well. One aspect separates it from tubes in general - it particularly needs great matching. Although in general most tube amplifiers will sound very good in most systems, in order to get a perception of what the DartZeel is able to do you must optimize the system very carefully. DartZeels are very susceptible to the wrong cables (power, signal or speaker) . The DartZeel's are able to show an enormous finesse and resolution, but simultaneously being vivid and emotional. But IMHO only with a few selected components!

Having lived with DartZeel along many years - particularly the NH108B I own and the CH8550 - sometimes I feel that I really do not know it!

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am a big fan of the Aesthetix Atlas Signature hybrid. I think it is very well made, and I think it sounds substantially like a hybrid VTL might sound. The solid-state output stage offers big power (600w into 4 ohms).

If I owned MBL 101E Mk IIs I would drive them with Atlas monos. (I have heard this combination at length.)

Hi Ron, were there 2 or 4 monos in the system? In my experience, you can't give enough power to that speaker - and actually most speakers are underpowered. If your friend is running 2, he should buy 2 more.

My advice to Spirit is to get as many monos as he can afford, as Apogee is a bear to drive. In fact, I would not spend any serious money on cables, twerks, etc., until he gets enough power to completely control the speaker, so he can hear properly hear every macrodynamic swing, all microdynamics, and every nuance and shading of music that only a properly powered amp can bring to the table.

Also, as far as Aesthetix reputation goes, it is ROCK SOLID. But as a downside of their design, the word on the street is they are not as open in the highs - to accommodate bright recordings and bad, reverberant rooms. Just something to think about for guys who like their highs to go on forever.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Caesar's right - many audio philes under power their system

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I also would not say that DartZeel emulates tubes. Although we should not define something by absence, I would say that DartZeel has almost none of the typical "nasties" we generally associate with solid state, and can sound really beautiful.

But intrinsically is not tube like - at less like the tubes I know well. One aspect separates it from tubes in general - it particularly needs great matching. Although in general most tube amplifiers will sound very good in most systems, in order to get a perception of what the DartZeel is able to do you must optimize the system very carefully. DartZeels are very susceptible to the wrong cables (power, signal or speaker) . The DartZeel's are able to show an enormous finesse and resolution, but simultaneously being vivid and emotional. But IMHO only with a few selected components!

Having lived with DartZeel along many years - particularly the NH108B I own and the CH8550 - sometimes I feel that I really do not know it!

I came from tubes to darTZeel originally; Tenor 75 watt OTL monos and Tenor 300 watt Hybrid monos. and I've had any number of tube amps in system since I've had the darts. I love the good aspects of tube sound; that 'breath of life' ethereal sort of musical essence along with a silkiness and spatiality and bloom. OTOH the 'tubey' kind of stuff; a roundness, some degree of blunted attacks and lack of transient agility, warmed tonal shift, less than ultimate transparency, and lessened bass articulation and extension....a layer of musical sameness.....I can live without.

the former gets us closer to the musical message whatever that might be, the latter gets between us and that message, in spite of the fact we might like it.

the darts, particularly the 458 monos, do resemble (emulate) the aspects of tubes that I like. yet also allowing for all the best of solid state.

as far as darts needing to be carefully matched; I would say that any truly clear window reveals all to those who might see. some clear windows add a whiteness or grain, or maybe miss some of the spectrum....the dart gets it all. the dart rewards the best gear. not to say that it does not work well with lots of gear. it simply works better with better. but it will never be the ying to the yang.

as far as working with different cables or different gear we have the #1 stud reviewer Mr. Fremer using these same amps with all sorts of cables and gear.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Not sure how they stack up against the big boys costing many times more, but the PS audio BHK monos are hybrid and easily the best amps I ever owned, and relatively affordable to boot.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Musical Fidelity Superchargers were designed to take tube amp (or other low powered amps) output as their input and do you 550 odd Watts I seem to remember. The claim being the Superchargers held the personality of the input amp.

I wonder how well that worked in practice.

As I have indicted I think it is really dodgy ground. Don't spend any money before you try it or the butt hurt factor may well be off the scale.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, I totally get your advice on taking any potential Apogees to bake offs and trying amps to keep spend/frustration ratio to a minimum, but at c.100kg for and 6' X 2.5' for each Diva, this is not going to happen
I fully agree that it's more complex than it might appear to get this tubes on mids and treble ribbons/SS or hybrid amp on bass ribbons synergy to work
No doubt my Zus are beyond simple in comparison, full range drivers lapping up SETs, Class D Hypex amps to the subs which only kick in below 35 Hz

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I came from tubes to darTZeel originally; Tenor 75 watt OTL monos and Tenor 300 watt Hybrid monos. and I've had any number of tube amps in system since I've had the darts. I love the good aspects of tube sound; that 'breath of life' ethereal sort of musical essence along with a silkiness and spatiality and bloom. OTOH the 'tubey' kind of stuff; a roundness, some degree of blunted attacks and lack of transient agility, warmed tonal shift, less than ultimate transparency, and lessened bass articulation and extension....a layer of musical sameness.....I can live without.

the former gets us closer to the musical message whatever that might be, the latter gets between us and that message, in spite of the fact we might like it.

the darts, particularly the 458 monos, do resemble (emulate) the aspects of tubes that I like. yet also allowing for all the best of solid state.

as far as darts needing to be carefully matched; I would say that any truly clear window reveals all to those who might see. some clear windows add a whiteness or grain, or maybe miss some of the spectrum....the dart gets it all. the dart rewards the best gear. not to say that it does not work well with lots of gear. it simply works better with better. but it will never be the ying to the yang.

as far as working with different cables or different gear we have the #1 stud reviewer Mr. Fremer using these same amps with all sorts of cables and gear.

I think I should clarify - my experience with the 458's is limited, and their cost is much beyond what I would consider for an amplifier. My opinions are based on the 108 and 8550.

And I am very happy that Mr. Fremer is enjoying himself a lot using the Dartzeel 458 with the matching preamplifier for his reviews. Did he get the new NHB 18NS?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think I should clarify - my experience with the 458's is limited, and their cost is much beyond what I would consider for an amplifier. My opinions are based on the 108 and 8550.

And I am very happy that Mr. Fremer is enjoying himself a lot using the Dartzeel 458 with the matching preamplifier for his reviews. Did he get the new NHB 18NS?

I do believe that Mr. Fremer is enjoying the new version of the 18NS. and he does regularly mix and match amps and preamps, and different cables into the mix depending on what he might be reviewing. he has the proprietary 'zeel' cables but typically does not use them (as I understand it).

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
...are there any?
I'm speculating about going the restored Apogees route
On another thread, info gleaned has got me to a position where I'm likely to power Apogees mids and treble ribbons 450Hz and above with my existing 60W/ch SETs
But the Apogees bass ribbons need stouter attention, the strong advice being at the very least 200 Watts and preferably more, and ideally high current reserves
I could go VTL push pull mega Watts as recommended by our erstwhile co-leader Ron, but I don't want to preclude a SS option if it can mesh well with the character of my SETs further up the spectrum
I would REALLY need to be convinced Class D is the way to go, A or AB floats my boat
Now, I'm not interested in SS that tries to shamelessly copy or be a slave to tubes signature. No, I'm looking for SS suggestions where aspects of the presentation will complement my SETs
My NAT triodes are particularly good at tonal saturation, bass grip, unflappability, almost hybrid in presentation
What SS should I be looking at to serve 450Hz and below, 200+ Watts, high current, SET complementary?

What about the BAT VK600SE? THat has the power, tonality and control that might work very nicely indeed.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ked, that Aesthetix Atlas looks excellent
Reasonable pricing new and good availability used
I think this is a good potential route to go down
That is, go Divas and try my existing SE2SEs, investigate Transmitters, and either/both of these on mids and treble ribbons, Atlas or reasonably priced equivalent on bass ribbons, via Pass Labs or First Watt B4 active crossover

Any other suggestions out there?

Either the NAT will work just fine on the Diva bass...no matter what Rich is telling. BTW, the original Diva spec was that the speakers could hit 118db with 100 watts at 4 or 5 meters (can't remembe anymore). That is for a pair.

My experience of playing with amps on a Diva and the upper section of a Grand (which is basically a souped up Diva) was that a single pair of SE2SEs or Transmitters would be just fine. Now if you have a large room or listen extremely loud that might not still be true. We got good results from tube amps because the bass panel's imedance is quite uniform and not too low (around 3-4 ohms). Sensitivity is around 85-86db as well. So, a 100 watt tube amp, if it has GOOD output transformers, would be more than enough. Flo had is SE2SE measured and it was putting out well over 100 watts before clipping. Transmitters are rated well over 100 watts as well. Should work like a charm.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
One amplifier I always feel guilty of having not listened yet is the Pathos InPower - an 80 watt hybrid design. Or even the Adrenaline. Sometime ago I hosted a Pathos TT (its stereo low power cousin) and it was perhaps the most natural sound amplifier I have owned, particularly in the treble. Although it had not power enough to drive the Soundlabs, what it managed to do it was unforgettable. BTW, the Pathos TT is really an interesting design - a tube driving a SEF (single ended FET ...) stage loaded by a choke and coupled to the loudspeaker by a large capacitor.

You should try the NAT Symbiosis SE that I had. With 100 watts of hybrid SE(MOSFET) it would probably do ok with your Soundlabs and deliver a very natural sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing