Jason Bourne

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I had semi high hopes for this one as the original cast and director (Paul Greengrass) returned for this latest installment - as compared with the rather lame reboot with Jeremy Renner a few years back.

Jason Bourne has a great first act and a terrific chase scene in the middle of a Greek protest that ends up turning into mob anarchy. Bourne is off boxing to make ends meet and Julia Stiles is trying to approach him again in order to tell him some new bits of his past which she's uncovered as well as new CIA black ops. Unfortunately, things go down from there. Tommy Lee Jones wasn't particularly good and even sexy Alicia Vikander couldn't save the final two acts (and her acting was excellent for what she was given). The plot turns pretty silly and overdone when Lee and Vikander start working against each other. It seems like every CIA director is a "bad guy" which is stale.

The third act takes place in Vegas and perhaps predictably, has an overdone, "bigger and badder" chase scene with an armored truck down the middle of the strip (basically lifted straight out of Fast & Furious). The writers tried to put a Facebook privacy vs. anti-Snowden conflict throughout the movie, but it oddly felt disconnected and just wasn't strong enough to carry the film.

Overall, what keeps you enthralled in the first few films is beneath the fight for survival is the awakening of Bourne's consciousness and responding emotion - whether it was with the gypsy girl in Identity or the child of an assassinated family in the Supremacy or the Landy relationship in the Ultimatum. Jason Bourne was devoid of emotion and therefore, just an average, unpalatable script. I'll rate it a "B" version of the genre but not anything as good as the trilogy (which I happened to re-watch a few weeks back).

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I couldn't wait for the movie to get over. And I am a fan of the Bourne Ultimatum. This was just too bad.

A very enjoyable recent movie was Maggie's Plan with Greta Gertwig

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Guys you're crushing me. I am a big Fan of the "Real" Bourne Trilogy..

About Star Trek.. I am a Sci-Fi fan but am finding myself more and more disconnected with fistfights and people piloting Interstellar vessels when one of my cars doesn't need me for parking and another drives itself ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They made this movie because Matt Damon suddenly recalled he has 4 kids to send to college

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This movie stunk. Save your money for a CD.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I didn't hate the movie - OK as an action flick.

The Las Vegas chase seen, though, was a bit over the top.

Having spent more time in Vegas than it deserved, mainly due to forced duty at trade shows like Comdex, it was amazing to me that they went from Bally's at one end of the strip to the Riviera parking garage at the other end of the strip almost instantly.

I thought the Riviera had been torn down but apparently the demolition was in the past few months.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Guys you're crushing me. I am a big Fan of the "Real" Bourne Trilogy..

Me too, Frantz. But this version is only worth a rental.

There will be another installment though as box office was good - and Vikander leaves some hope for the franchise.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The movie was bad, bad but then that is how the whole year had been so far. Not a Oscar worthy viewing yet. I am so tired of the comic book genre where you have to check your brain at the door to even sit thru them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is kind of sad, because I have the entire Bourne quadrilogy on Blu-ray right now; so if I don't get this one I'd be breaking my Bourne tradition. :b
It is the same with Star Wars, Star Trek, Fast & Furious, Planet of the Apes, Harry Potter, Alien, Predator, Terminator, Spider Man, Iron Man, LOTR, The Hobbit, Batman, Superman, etc.

To break a habit of film addiction requires a lot of courage. It's just too bad that they cannot make them superior to the original.
But that's not the goal, the original idea would have been to be totally reinvented again. The goal is to cash in from the original idea by making inferior sequels...movie bizz.
A two-hour movie today, an action movie, a super hero comic movie, ...can have only two or four good minutes in it, just like an LP, a Pop CD music recording.
...Just like a TV package you pay for; you like three channels and you hate the rest...297 channels. But you still pay for the full package.

I won't see it @ the theater (only $12), but I will pay more money for it on Blu-ray ($28)...in 2D...in 1080p...and watch it @ home.
It's very hard to break the addiction. :b It's just too bad that we are addicts of inferior quality. I blame the inferior movie directors directing them movies, it's nobody else's fault.
And how much influence the movie studios have on their film directors? Yes, that too comes into light, depending of the contracts and finances and timing and artistic freedom.
Entertainment is more a business than a true art form, and today even more than yesterday, I think.

Fortunately we still have some awesome movie directors with that true artistic flair and great compositions in the message, the story.
'Jason Bourne' scored 57% @ Rotten Tomatoes. That's below my very minimum of 65%.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I won't see it @ the theater (only $12), but I will pay more money for it on Blu-ray ($28)...in 2D...in 1080p...and watch it @ home.

$28 !!! I'm sorry I paid $6 to see it on the big screen. I won;t watch it for free on HBO..Showtime etc in the future.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is disappointing. I guess it will be a good movie . . . to kill time on a plane.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Was with a few friends and decided to go to the movies to cap the night ... Went to see .... Jason Bourne ... I warned them, I warned me but in the end the crowd won .. and ..lost... :D
Awful movie. God awful movie.. The only thing left to use is an expltive it may not even be worthy of it...

So repetitive it hurts. Matt Damon is usually careful with the movies he plays in ..perhaps he had some serious bills to pay...

BAD movie. Wait for the video to get into the cheap Bluray bin before buying, it is not worth the usual $15 to 20 for a BluRay you would watch only once and perhaps not even in its entirety.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Was with a few friends and decided to go to the movies to cap the night ... Went to see .... Jason Bourne ... I warned them, I warned me but in the end the crowd won .. and ..lost... :D
Awful movie. God awful movie.. The only thing left to use is an expltive it may not even be worthy of it...

So repetitive it hurts. Matt Damon is usually careful with the movies he plays in ..perhaps he had some serious bills to pay...

BAD movie. Wait for the video to get into the cheap Bluray bin before buying, it is not worth the usual $15 to 20 for a BluRay you would watch only once and perhaps not even in its entirety.

There is no doubt this is the weakest film in the franchise, but to coin it as "Awful movie. God awful movie" is going way overboard.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Despite the bad reviews, I still watched it with my son. Fell asleep at the 3/4s way, and in the end I thought I've seen another movie with such a plot. Revenge soaked in an action movie. And the hero always get past the most secured building and find his target sitting in his office waiting for him. I forgot what other movie was that which had that scene.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Despite the bad reviews, I still watched it with my son. Fell asleep at the 3/4s way, and in the end I thought I've seen another movie with such a plot. Revenge soaked in an action movie. And the hero always get past the most secured building and find his target sitting in his office waiting for him. I forgot what other movie was that which had that scene.

:D

They could have done better. There was a lot of expectation for this installation then again we should have seen the writing on the wall with the "Bourne Legacy" featuring Jeremy Renner... we should have known they were going downhill fast from there ... This is a bad movie period.. Derivative to the max .. Reminds me of Terminator 3 with the noise and nonsense effects (Spoiler alert) the wave of crashing cars in the wake of another car :eek:

@Jhonny..
It is all subjective but to bring such a great franchise to this low level can only elicit strong negatives and ever stronger expletives :) and that is not going "way overboard" in my book...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing