Quad 23L- Classic Signature Monitors

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings to all! Trust that everyone is enjoying their music and keeping up with the simplicity in life...

Speaking of which I have been given the 23L for a break in period for my dealer mate. Happens to have three pairs of these beautiful dynamic floor standing speakers, with some superb finishes.
This is the Quad 23L which is a 3-way design, with a ABR- Auxilary Bass Radiator that produces the extra low frequencies down to around 40Hz. This is quite a simple speaker system for those looking for the simplist things, and is easy to drive. I'm using the Jas 300SE class A (rated at 8 w/ch) drives it beautifully with great sense of depth and scale. A well balanced sound overall with a nice touch to the midrange, very open I must say, typical Quad style, smooth highs (not too extended, just about right) and well balanced bass. The 23L's will produce the bass required when it is "required" and can heard very prominently when it is there. I have noticed on some mini-monitors you would have to really strain to listen for that bass note, however with this system it is not an issue, therefore I don't see a need for a sub either.

The ABR- is downward firing and is slightly raised off the floor from the base of the speaker itself. Therefore, the speaker is mounted off the plinth on four points, allowing adequate room for air flow. This is then supported by spikes which lock very securely, and a simple grill cover is provided. The Quad logo is also present on the enclosure as well as on the grill cover, therefore allowing the speaker to be played without the covers, making the Quad logo visible I suppose.

I found that the sound to be more open with the grill covers off, especially in the midrange, however I preferred the overall balance in sound with the covers on.
These speakers can certainly move a decent amount of air, rated from around 50-200 watts of input power, they are very smooth and present the soundstage extremely well. I have angled them in towards the listening position, and found this to be most accurate in terms of imaging and depth, plus excellent center focus on vocals. They are fast and respond to transients very nicely, plenty of detail and no edginess of harshness whatsoever.

I have been listening to these for well over a month now, having then placed aside by the Quads, have been enjoying them for a while. I must say this is just about as simple as it gets, although the speaker can be biamped, I did not try this option. I would think bi-amping may be far superior in overall dynamics but for those with a single low to moderate single stereo integrated tube amp, this system is wonderful. I also did try the bigger ARC intergrateds such as the VSI65 & 75 amps, using KT120's and 6550's this generated a larger more dynamic soundstage. However, with the 300B, the sound was the most intimate and sweet sounding presence I could think of. I am not sure what these would retail for in the US or other markets but in AUD$ they are around 3 grand a pair. The finish is remarkable, plus comes in piano black and cherry gloss walnut and rosewood. This finish was the cherry matt finish, very well done.

For those considering a well balanced all round floor standing performer, without having to break the bank or go homeless, I would highly recommend the Quad 23L system. Other speakers in the range that come to mind which I have tried and liked are Image, Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber and Proac. However, all of these were slightly higher in price and required better electronics to get them to perform at their best. These Quads seem to like whatever you drive them with, and very easy to place around in your room. I also experimented with the bass, by placing closer to the back wall, I found that bringing them out into the listening room by around 4ft away from the back wall, gave the smoothest distortion free sound, compared to most dynamic driver designs.
I have posted some picks, the first one is the size stacked up against the Quad stats, second shows the finish and 3rd is with the grill off

Attachments

• 20160807_143749.jpg
    20160807_143749.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 20160807_143931.jpg
    20160807_143931.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 1,773
  • 20160807_144132.jpg
    20160807_144132.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 1,863

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh! for the love of IT and downloading pics/attachments, please don't ask why these photos are upside down because the originals are facing the correct side!
I really don't know what the hec happened there... terribly sorry about that. I will try better the next time.
cheers, RJ

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh! for the love of IT and downloading pics/attachments, please don't ask why these photos are upside down because the originals are facing the correct side!
I really don't know what the hec happened there... terribly sorry about that. I will try better the next time.
cheers, RJ

That's a case of the forum software taking the notion of "Down Under" too literally :D

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
agreed, good one mate!
btw the 23L's are beginning to open up nicely. According to the manual, recommends around a 200 hr mark. sounds more open and more fluid each time I listen even for a short while. great speakers and superb value I must admit.
have a good one, RJ

mfenberg

Dec 29, 2016
Glad I found your review on the Quad 23L! I'm in the US and found a dealer who purchased the remainder of the 23L and 25L speakers. I can get a pair of 23L's, in the Red Mahogany finish, for $940 US delivered. Definitely a good buy!

Aslan7

May 7, 2017
Good review. I just bought a pair of these and absolutely love them. They were on the close out deal mentioned by someone below and thus an amazing bargain. I run them with Rogue Medusa and Stereo 100 with great success.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing