Quad amped? Why so many wires?

Tom

From the video, I think the upper section of the WAMM has five drivers:

Large MID
Small MID
Tweeter- Version 5 of the Convergent Synergy Tweeter
Small MID
Large MID

So maybe the wires are connected to a switch box with different crossovers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I bet they have an outboard development x-over.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you have all the wires say a +- to each driver connected to a prototype X over next to your listening chair , you dont have to walk to the speaker to switch components or component values , look forward seeing the product , the temporary roof above the speaker puzzles me more :D
Quad amped? Why so many wires?

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread...am posting just to ensure i get to watch it in case of further WAMM updates.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree Lloyd. Impressive factory tour. Looks like they produce lots of volume, err units. All super clean and organized. There seems to be a lot of drama surrounding the WAMM release. I had read early speculation that a pair would cost close to $1M and that buyers would be pre screened. Interesting.

It is nice to see a company being run by the son of the founder and continuing to grow and innovate.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wasn't one of the earlier WAMMs a four piece system?

It will be very interesting to see how the new WAMM competes with other SOTA speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wasn't one of the earlier WAMMs a four piece system?

It will be very interesting to see how the new WAMM competes with other SOTA speakers.

I thought all WAMMs were 4 piece systems. And yes, i think DW is throwing down the gauntlet on this one. 4-towers and presumably fully adjustable as that has been one of his key design elements since the X1s.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From the Audio Salon's website:

Wilson Audio hosted a private suite at the 2015International CES Las Vegas, showing the latest prototype of the new WilsonAudio WAMM. This event, limited to only 12 people per presentation, was conducted by Dave Wilson himself. During the presentations, we heard his current thinking on the project, and viewed a full-scale cosmetic model of the WAMM. No photography was allowed at this presentation, so we will bring you images of the new WAMM when they are released by Wilson. Here is what we areallowed to divulge at this time.

The new WAMM will consist of two main full-range arraytowers, with sub towers an optional upgrade with controllers. Compared to the original WAMM and the current Alexandria XLF, the new WAMM will have better performance and will be more massive as well as taller. It will also be more adaptable to various room sizes and acoustical environments due to the ability for micro-tuning in the time domain. Like the original WAMMs, the architecture as developed so far will allow for future upgrading.

Dimensions are subject to change as development continues,but so far the full-range array tower is roughly 82? tall (208.28cm), 23? wide(58.42 cm) and 35? in depth (88.9 cm). Which drivers and how many will be used per channel has not been released, however we do know that electrostatic panels(like used on the original WAMM) will not be used this time, and that the subtowers will not have built in electronics.

To better facilitate installation in listening rooms whereaccess is limited by small elevators, narrow hallways, etc., the new WAMM will feature a modular design that allows shipping in multiple crates for easier installation. If the room’s ceiling will accommodate the array’s height, the adjustability of the system will allow it to work in smaller spaces than theprevious WAMM.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As everyone knows I am a huge Wilsin fan but when we talk about 4 tower speakers I can honestly say that having heard Jacks brother Jims system yesterday for a 9 hour listening session IMO there is nothing in this universe that even comes close. His speakers are the one off Von Schweikert VR 111. I have never in 50 years of listening heard a system like Jims. I have taken countless photos that I will post with my impressions when we get back to California on Monday. His room alone is 8.5 meters wide by 12.5 meters long and 14 feet high

Steve Williams

I don't want to say anything to derail this thread so when I get back on the 15th I plan to describe what I believe to not only the best overall system I've ever heard but also the most well thought out and implemented room I have ever seen. They couldn't get me out of Jims room last night.

Steve Williams

To Ron Resnick

Ron this IMO is the ultimate 4 tower speaker. Problem is there will never be another one although Albert is making the Ultra Lite as well as an Ultra VR11 upgrade for Jacks speakers. Btw I haven't even begun to discuss Jacks system which also floored me as to how great it sounds.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Perhaps the WAMM will be surprising. I'm curious about it given the unique multi driver approach discussed over the bass drivers in that vid.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff, Steve...great to see you're continuing to enjoy a magnificent time in Asia. Look forward to reading all about it!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
To Ron Resnick

Ron this IMO is the ultimate 4 tower speaker. Problem is there will never be another one although Albert is making the Ultra Lite as well as an Ultra VR11 upgrade for Jacks speakers. Btw I haven't even begun to discuss Jacks system which also floored me as to how great it sounds.

Dear Steve,

I am glad you are having a great time! I wish I were there with you!

I have no doubt that Jim's one-of-a-kind four tower speaker is the ultimate. I look forward to hearing Albert's Ultra 101 (a scaled-down version of Jim's system, I believe) someday.

Jack's system is truly amazing as well! Jack's room is so perfect acoustically it is difficult to know how to apportion the credit for the sonic magic. (Of course it is a combination of the room and the VR-11SE Mk. IIs.)

We all look forward to your full report!

Steve Williams

I will have more to say about Jacks when I get home. Suffice it to say his room is mesmerizing. Acoustic treatments are well hidden. I have heard VR11's before but never the VR11 Mk ll which is a totally different breed. The dynamics in his room especially the bottom end was perfect. The ability to dial in the speakers on both Jack's and Jims systems gives so many ways to dial in the speakers. This plus Jack has an uncanny ear and knowledge of acoustics that he can quickly identify an issue and rectify it. So IMO it is both the room as well as the speaker dexterity

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) His room alone is 8.5 meters wide by 12.5 meters long and 14 feet high

I often say - there is no replacement for volume. I once listened to a pair of Dynaudio Consequence driven by Cello electronics in a room of similar size. Surely not the refinement or the sound quality you have experienced. But the feeling of being there, in a real auditorium listening to Harry Belafonte in a large stage and being part of the public, the energization of the whole room was a one time experience.

Another similar experience was listening to the old B&W Nautilus actively amplified by eight Krell channels in an old hotel in Montreux, in what looked like ball room - I would swear Haendel music was really being played in the Thames margins!

Looking forward to read about your great experiences.

Steve Williams

Heard Jerry's system today (dafos) and tomorrow Sam's (Mullard). Tonight however I was finally able to have an extended listen to Jack's system. Superb is the first word that comes to mind. More to come.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing