May 24, 2010
Sydney
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The photos are fun to see!

Was the giant Acoustical Systems turntable working (it was on only static display in Munich)?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The photos are fun to see!

Was the giant Acoustical Systems turntable working (it was on only static display in Munich)?

Hi Ron

Unfortunately not. Did not get a chance to speak to Dieterich and ask him why? Seems a shame to bring the humongous turntable all the way to Hong Kong for static disply.

Cheers

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well done. Thanks for posting!

Did you listen to JBL 4367?

Yea we did. The listened to the jbl's after the honky Zu speakers and the slightly dry sounding Goldmun room. The JBL's sounded good with that effortless delivery that the better jbl's always do well.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It was so big that it looked like they needed a crane to get it in. Plus there was no tonearm on it

The tonearm was on it yesterday, but no cartridge alas. And yes, the table is friggin huge. The pics don't do it justice.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Cool pics, thanks.

Do you know what distinctly Asian demo tracks if any are used for the show? Thanks.

If there was, I could not pick it. Most of the music was the typical female lite jazz type. A couple of the rooms had some nice classical tracks playing.
There was a lot of Chinese music on vinyl available, which surprised me. One brand of the Chinese music was proudly stating pressed at Pallas in Germany. Looks like the Chinese are playing vinyl.

Cheers

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I heard no special Asian demo disks. Most of the Asian music was being sold by vendors. There were so many that one didn't know where to start. Also CD's were being sold everywhere with no suggestion they were a thing of the past

I saw a dealer that had 2 copies (NM and NM-) of Flamenco fever, one for $1400 and the other for $560. I was tempted but moved on

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I've seen that TT in Person in Munich. It is HUGE. I bet many ppl in Asia would need a small chair or pedestal in front of it just to be able to change the record :)

It weights like half a ton or sth.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
If there was, I could not pick it. Most of the music was the typical female lite jazz type. A couple of the rooms had some nice classical tracks playing.

These are the ones I am trying to avoid because we almost always get that kind of demo.

There was a lot of Chinese music on vinyl available, which surprised me.

These are the ones I am looking for.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I've seen that TT in Person in Munich. It is HUGE. I bet many ppl in Asia would need a small chair or pedestal in front of it just to be able to change the record :)

It weights like half a ton or sth.

Dietrich makes a shorter one for the Asian market :D this one at HK is a different table to Munich and is a little shorter - Dietrich told me but can't recall now.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
These sure look familiar lol
28693114872_962338ee8e_b.jpg

Looks like a fantastic show:)

I had several people tell me that Ken Koo puts on a wonderful demo. Hoping to finally meet him next HK show.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Less than 3 weeks before the 2018 HK hifi show starts. Can't wait. Probably my last visit to HK for a while, so will make the most of it.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
Less than 3 weeks before the 2018 HK hifi show starts. Can't wait. Probably my last visit to HK for a while, so will make the most of it.

should be a great show and time, shane!
i wish i could go.
are you taking a break from hk shows, or going to munich next time?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
should be a great show and time, shane!
i wish i could go.
are you taking a break from hk shows, or going to munich next time?

Hey James. Yep, last time I think. Its always great fun in HK and you get to see almost everything bar some of the Euro brands. the drinking and food is great as well.

Munich - not sure. That is a bloody long way from Sydney as you well know.

btw James - flights are cheap - you are still able to fly over :cool:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing