Absolare Integrated

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Fabulous indeed :).

Kerems room at the Munich show was outstanding, as always. Looking forward to your report on the tubes. They matter a lot in this very revealing amplifier.

Rgds
Jan Petter

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Although this is not a cable forum I think it is relevant anyway;

I just got the Echole Orius cables in my system and they lifted everything to another level, completely. Echole is the sister company of Absolare and it comes at no surprise that they have the same quality as the amp. The cables sound very natural and super smooth. Or maybe they do not "sound" at all which is even better :). Highly recommended!

JP

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Although this is not a cable forum I think it is relevant anyway;

I just got the Echole Orius cables in my system and they lifted everything to another level, completely. Echole is the sister company of Absolare and it comes at no surprise that they have the same quality as the amp. The cables sound very natural and super smooth. Or maybe they do not "sound" at all which is even better :). Highly recommended!

JP

Okay JP, you just had to do it…….make me lust after something else from Kerem’s trove that I can’t afford! But good for you, I bet those cables are awesome and make your already terrific system even better. Did you go in whole-hog, both interconnects and speaker cables?

By the way, how are those Sylvania tubes working out, do you still consider them better than the RT’s? I actually did a google search for those a while ago but had trouble finding the one’s that fit your description……..NOS with yellow lettering.

Speaking of tubes, I sometimes go on an Amazon buying binge against my better judgement where I recently ordered a matched pair of PSVANE 12AU7-TII current production tubes after eyeing some good reviews. Although I kind of regretted the purchase initially, these tubes actually turned out to be an eye-opener in the Absolare…….detailed, nicely transparent, extended highs & bass and nice midrange. There is obviously more gain than with the RT’s, not just louder but almost like a `loudness’ switch has been turned on similar to what older/vintage receivers were equipped with. More of everything, and everything seemingly more spotlighted, not in a bad way, just easier to follow all the musical threads (and ok, maybe a little like that old Maxell ad with the guy in his listening chair where his hair is being blown back) Of course, I’m a blues/rock guy first & foremost, and so far these tubes are great fun and have me glued to (actually dancing around) my music room. Still early though, may find something annoying with them after awhile, but for the price I paid these are a great alternative when you want to energize your music collection.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Sorry for that :). Yes, speaker cables and interconnects.

I found the Sylvania tubes on Ebay, and they were not expensive. Yes I find them better than the RT, but the RT are good as well. Interesting with Psvane, will try those in the future.

JP

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
Sorry for that :). Yes, speaker cables and interconnects.

I found the Sylvania tubes on Ebay, and they were not expensive. Yes I find them better than the RT, but the RT are good as well. Interesting with Psvane, will try those in the future.

JP

Have also tested the Sylvania 12AU7. I find them not so different from the RT tubes. However, these are not the tubes used in Munch. In munch the 12BH7a from Sylvania were used. These are much better than the RT tubes. There is also some difference in one or the other tube from the same type. You need to look for the tubes with copper rods inside.

Harry

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
With Kerems always excellent service and help I now have ordered the " right" Sylvania tubes. Thank you HHdutch for the information, I will report back when the tubes are warmed up :).

JP

butler

Mar 26, 2013
The Absolare is reviewed by Robert Harley in the Feb Absolute Sound, enjoyed (and can relate to) his comments about the amp being characterized by a sense of body and texture closer to a living/breathing entity rather than a mechanical reproduction. Here is a link for anyone interested (hope it is ok to post):

http://absolutehiend.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/AbsolareTAS.pdf

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have read the review and imo the amp is better than R. Harley says. I have used the amp for a much longer period of time than Robert and I cannot totally agree with him. The review also lack musical references ( a part from one..) and I did not get a total grip of what he really thinks about the amp.

Yes, there are a lot of positive comments as it should be, but I have heard this amp in a few different systems and it is extremely well balanced, open and transparent. With a lot of power.

What else; Ah yes, he uses cables worth USD 58.000,- in this review. Cables that he does not know or has tried as far as I can read and understand in another system to see what kind of sound signature the Echole cables have. So what has he really been listening to?

I have used Echole cables as well and they are amazing, but the review can as I see it not be taken to seriously. Which puzzles me in that Robert normally writes better and more presise than in this review.

IMO!

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Hi JP, agree that the review was perhaps not the most descriptive, especially in terms of context. For instance. although there were a couple of comments suggesting he was comparing a few aspects to his reference mono blocks, more such examples would have certainly been helpful. And Absolare, of course, wanted their very expensive cables to be utilized for the review, but did RH employ his reference cables at any point to get a feel for the impact of the Echole on the whole? Also as you mentioned what music did he utilize to come to his conclusions?

Though, I must say that this sort of review is what I’ve come to expect more often than not these days; some generalizations, accolades, and minor `not the absolute best’ in one particular aspect or another. However, when all is said and done, I do think he was at least successful in communicating the gestalt of the Absolare sound (especially the `midrange-outward’ and Set-like descriptions).

If I were not already an Absolare owner and advocate, the review would have smitten me enough to put it on my radar……maybe we should’t ask for much more?

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I think we should expect more from a reviewer like Robert Harley. Normally I enjoy his articles and reviews, this was not up to his usual standards, imo.

Then, which version of the integrated was reviewed? There is a standard version and the Signature. If Absolare wanted Robert to hear the amp at its best the Signature would be the obvious choice. We do not know which version that was under review, that is sloppy writing. As far as I can see he does not mention that there are two versions of the amp either.

Absolare has invested in many ads in TAS in the latest issues leading up to this review. For me the review is a little bit as a " thank you for advertising" and you got your review.

I was dissapointed when I read the review, others may have another opinion. The Absolare integrated is a very special product.

JP

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Interesting point as to which model was actually reviewed. Some of the descriptions RH uses for such things as the coupling capacitors as well as the listed price would likely mean it was the Passion/base model rather than the Signature. I agree it is hard to believe that Kerem would not have wanted to provide his best product for a review in TAS. A simple look at the Absolare website, something I would think that a thorough reviewer would peruse for basic information, describes both models.....and that basic fact should never be at question for the reader. So simply saying that he reviewed `the integrated’ does not tell the whole tale. Beginning to see your point, JP…...

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
I also think the Passion model is used. The combination of this version with the limited edition cables is odd. This realy does not feels as an revieuw.
I am however very curious about the type of tubes that Robert received from Australia. I am stil happy with my Signature integrated with de Sylvania 12BH7A tubes.
HH

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
little session of tube rolling these last weeks, and if it's hard to really do better in the balance of flavors, the selected NOS triodes installed on my Signature are very good in my taste, we can go in some other différent but interested ways... engaging Cifte 12AU7, stimulating RCT E80CC, substantific 5814 back plates, balanced 6189... tub is cool, i kept them all !

Another subject, for those who did it.
What can you say musically from the upgraded signature to a Special Edition?
Thanks

Be well in music

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Hi BF38, thanks for listing the tubes you have tried and the nice/succinct one word description of each. I'm interested if any provided a more prominent treble level than others? I've lost a bit of upper frequency hearing loss over the years, and am looking for more `juice' there to help me not have to concentrate so hard.......

Is the Special Edition available now? Don't see anything on the website suggesting such.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
I'm using Telefunken ECC82 for my Passion grade integrated amp.
It is much smooth, wide, and transparent than the buldle tube.

Last edited:

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I have a Signature Preamp and have been tube rolling a lot. Last week i dropped in some Telefunkens, and they do sound smooth and airy but they lack a bit of weight.

i have had better luck with these which i like equally 1959 RCA JRC 12 AU7, 1959 Tung Sol JTL 5814A, and 1964 Mullard IEC ECC82.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Bulter,
there is many many combinaison and tubes references and it's very difficult to give you a reliable answer. especially since I think every device and system will react on this own way... what will be true for one system will not be true for another, in addition to your perception !... I'm afraid, you have to find a good stock of triodes and try! (but it's quite fun... with the good drink !)

However, it is for now the tubes stock (of my own integrated signature) that seems to me the closest to your research. Not insistent on the treble, but the most "free feeling" in this register. What is your integrated model ?

And about the Special Edition, i don't really know but i think, it's available on demand... to confirm !

PS : for your personal problem you can also play on other elements of your system... the cables but it will not necessarily be the same price. I would, perhaps, have a nice client for you in modulation. And sorry for my english probably "little french".

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
And about the Special Edition, i don't really know but i think, it's available on demand... to confirm !

Hi there,

As far as I understand there is no such thing as the "Special Edition" unless what you are referring to is the Altius model, which is only made to order and costs substantially more than the Signature version.

I will shortly be sending my Signature Integrated back to Absolare for the V2 upgrade. All models built up to September 2017 are V1. The Passion unit that Robert Harley reviewed was a V1.

The main thing being upgraded in V2 is the power supply. Here is an extract of a conversation I had with Gokhan the chief engineer at Absolare, during which he explains some of the thinking behind this development:

"...There is a dilemma in power supplies. If you want a silent background to hear more low level detail and more resolution you have to use heavy filtering or regulation. But these will kill all dynamics in a power amplifier. Increasing reservoir caps will help with the dynamics, but puts a heavy load on the transformer and creates new noises by non-linearities caused by saturated transformer core. We came up with a new solution: two level dynamic filtering power supply. There is no active voltage regulation in the new supply. Very large, very low ESR reservoir caps on the output side ensure high dynamics and resolution in the amplification section. Dynamic filter before the reservoir caps adjusts itself with the charging current. It blocks the incoming noise from the mains side at low levels and easily supply high currents when needed, while protecting the power transformer from working in non-linear regions."

Subjectively I am told that this dramatically reduces noise and leads to a huge improvement in headroom and harmonic resolution. The V2 unit was tested by Absolare with the (108db sensitivity) Avantgarde Trio speakers and was reported to be "dead silent".

Anyway I will let you know once I have upgraded the unit. :)

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing