Absolare Integrated

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
Interesting observations on the Telefunken's, Harry, especially the part about more detail/louder volume in the high frequencies yet perhaps less dynamic overall. Sounds like bass is prominent also, especially if you can feel it (a positive as far as I'm concerned). Can't help but wonder what would happen if you combined the Telefunken with the Brimar....would it be too much or the best of both worlds? At any rate, thanks for the info and please continue to keep us updated on your tube rolling adventures, it is very interesting.

As soon as I can get to it, I plan to pull a Mullard CV4003 out of my old EAR preamp and try it with the RT........

Continued with the testing. I did combine Brimar with the Telefunken, and it did give best of both. It gave louder low of the Brimar. It gave more push and detail of the Telefunken. I just missed the blacknes and quietnes in the sound. It was more hifi than high-end, if you understand what i mean. At silenced parts of music, it was not black, doh there was no sound to be heard. At guitar music the Telefunken is magic. Adding the DC ring on the Telefunken spoiled the tube, and sounded not natural.

Then I ordered a second Telefunken, so I could try with only Telefunken. This gave a far better result. The sound is just as natural as with the original RT tubes. There is more push in the low, more detail and high. In general the result is brighter as with the RT tubes. It is still high-end, with now blacknes at silenced parts of music. also the 3d image of the sound is good. Specialli guitar music is magic with Telefunken. Again, using DC rings on Telefunken is spoiling the sound. The DC rings are damping the low, and giving less punch on percussion. In my case, the push in low is close to the limit I like. Placing my speakers further away from the back wall might help. According to my wife, this is no option :)
The Telefunken gives at least one step of volume more. Also I noticed more difference in the recorded volume levels. I had to adjust my volume to keep the played volume constant.

So my conclusion is that a set of Telefunken tubes is as good as the original RT tubes. This with more push in low, and a brighter overall sound. The 3d image is a bit less as the very well defined 3d image of the RT tubes.

I also tested two Harmomix tubes as a set. Then in the low, the sound is a bit messy. As result, the 3d image of the sound is gone.

I might look for some Mullard tubes, to try them also.

Harry

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I suspect that Kerem and his team has picked the best tubes for the integrated Absolare. I am using the standard RT delivered with the amplifier and I am completely satisfied. No need to seek alternatives, in fact I am thinking about buying a spare set of the RT, they are also not expensive at all.

My integrated is now almost one year old with the same RT tubes. Zero noise, just great sound. A superb match with the Kawero speakers as well.

Rgds
Jan Petter

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Hi JP, I agree that Kerem provides some sweet RT tubes that contribute to a wonderful product…..glad you are still enamored with the Absolare driving your awesomely kool Kawero speakers. It is kinda fun, though, to mess around with different tube brands just to experience alternate sonic flavors (well, for the more anal amongst us anyway;)

Harry, more interesting results with your tube experiments. Thanks for testing the Telefunken with the Brimar, and likewise with the 2 Telefunken’s. As, again, I could use a little brighter sound due to a bit of age-related hearing loss, I’m interested in trying the Tele’s. Don’t want to open up a can of worms because there are so many variants, but could you provide a little info on which one’s you are using? If you have a manufacture date/other identification markers and whether they are ribbed or smooth plates that would help. Here in the US I see NOS Tele’s priced anywhere from decent to crazy take-out-a-loan money, so any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I’ve still yet to try the Mullard, but will be doing so soon.

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
I suspect that Kerim and his team might have tuned the amp on RT tubes, and even designed the amps with RT tubes in mind.
The Telefunken i bought were Telefunken ECC82. You must go for balanced ones, so volume left and right are equal.
At ebay you find them easy, like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Telefunke...Smooth-Plate-Tubes-MATCHED-PAIR-/382053652143 . These are identical to the ones I bought for 45 euro each, NOS. It makes sense to negotiate with the seller.

butler

Mar 26, 2013
I suspect that Kerim and his team might have tuned the amp on RT tubes, and even designed the amps with RT tubes in mind.
The Telefunken i bought were Telefunken ECC82. You must go for balanced ones, so volume left and right are equal.
At ebay you find them easy, like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Telefunke...Smooth-Plate-Tubes-MATCHED-PAIR-/382053652143 . These are identical to the ones I bought for 45 euro each, NOS. It makes sense to negotiate with the seller.

Very cool Harry, these are actually cheaper via eBay then I've seen elsewhere....I may just have to try them after your findings, should be fun! Thanks very much for the info as always!!

By the way, a general question I've been meaning to ask Absolare owners: mine is connected directly to the wall outlet, but with summer coming here in Florida we are already experiencing power failures, which only get worse as the heat index progresses. Don't know if you guys in Europe have the same issues with brown/blackouts, but just wondering if anyone is using a power conditioner/surge protector? I would rather not as I always find it to marginalize the sound quality, but I also want to be prudent and protect my investment. I may just ask Kerem as well......

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi, Jan, the absolare and Kawero combination must be fantastic! I really liked the Kawero whenever I had the chance to listen to them.

Hi butler, as to power conditioning, the only way to find out is to try it out. Personally, unless I am very sure otherwise, I will use a power conditioner at all times. In fact, I use the international version equivalent of the Bryston BIT 20 power conditioner and it's superb. I personally feel isolation transformers do benefit and don't rob the power amp of its juice.

Cheers

Sujay

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Hi, Jan, the absolare and Kawero combination must be fantastic! I really liked the Kawero whenever I had the chance to listen to them.

Hi butler, as to power conditioning, the only way to find out is to try it out. Personally, unless I am very sure otherwise, I will use a power conditioner at all times. In fact, I use the international version equivalent of the Bryston BIT 20 power conditioner and it's superb. I personally feel isolation transformers do benefit and don't rob the power amp of its juice.

Cheers

Sujay

Hey Sujay, thanks for the input, I guess it would be a good time for me to start doing some research on isolation transformers like your Bryson BIT 20 vs balanced power options vs regenerators etc. I do have a Shunyata Triton for my front end but the Absolare is on a different circuit. I hate the expense of doing so but peace of mind is a terrible thing to waste:cool:...

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hey Sujay, thanks for the input, I guess it would be a good time for me to start doing some research on isolation transformers like your Bryson BIT 20 vs balanced power options vs regenerators etc. I do have a Shunyata Triton for my front end but the Absolare is on a different circuit. I hate the expense of doing so but peace of mind is a terrible thing to waste:cool:...

Yup, I agree it's a pain but worth the effort and money. I have the BIT 16 with a 3.4kw ( I think) isolation transformer, which feeds by entire rig including my 911 mk3 burm mono power amps and I don't see any sag in dynamics. On the contrary, I noticed an improvement in every aspect including soundstage, noise floor obviously and the dynamics were not restricted either.

Good luck!

Cheers

Sujay

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Yup, I agree it's a pain but worth the effort and money. I have the BIT 16 with a 3.4kw ( I think) isolation transformer, which feeds by entire rig including my 911 mk3 burm mono power amps and I don't see any sag in dynamics. On the contrary, I noticed an improvement in every aspect including soundstage, noise floor obviously and the dynamics were not restricted either.

Good luck!

Cheers

Sujay

Interesting Sujay, actual sonic improvements would be a wonderful thing. Those Burmeister mono's of yours are very nice, heard them a while back and it was one of those auditions I have not forgotten. Enjoy, and thanks again....

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks, butler. The absolare integrated is one balsy amp......I have heard it in Munich driving the Rockports with ease!

Have fun!

Cheers

Sujay

HHdutch

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks, butler. The absolare integrated is one balsy amp......I have heard it in Munich driving the Rockports with ease!

Have fun!

Cheers

Sujay

I have heard the Absolare / Rockport combo as well in Munch. Planned to go again this year to Munch. Again special for the Absolare stand. I might pick up some idea's there.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi JP, I agree that Kerem provides some sweet RT tubes that contribute to a wonderful product…..glad you are still enamored with the Absolare driving your awesomely kool Kawero speakers. It is kinda fun, though, to mess around with different tube brands just to experience alternate sonic flavors (well, for the more anal amongst us anyway;)

Harry, more interesting results with your tube experiments. Thanks for testing the Telefunken with the Brimar, and likewise with the 2 Telefunken’s. As, again, I could use a little brighter sound due to a bit of age-related hearing loss, I’m interested in trying the Tele’s. Don’t want to open up a can of worms because there are so many variants, but could you provide a little info on which one’s you are using? If you have a manufacture date/other identification markers and whether they are ribbed or smooth plates that would help. Here in the US I see NOS Tele’s priced anywhere from decent to crazy take-out-a-loan money, so any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I’ve still yet to try the Mullard, but will be doing so soon.

Hi. Absolutely agree on testing different tubes and I will also do that in the future.

Rgds
JP

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have heard the Absolare / Rockport combo as well in Munch. Planned to go again this year to Munch. Again special for the Absolare stand. I might pick up some idea's there.

Kerems room at the Munich show is always one of the very best sounding. I will arrive on friday and have a flight back on monday, the show is one of the highlights of the year for me and my audio buddies!

Rgds
Jan Petter

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Kerems room at the Munich show is always one of the very best sounding. I will arrive on friday and have a flight back on monday, the show is one of the highlights of the year for me and my audio buddies!

Rgds
Jan Petter
I am quoting myself here only to say that the Absolare room in Munich was absolutely outstanding. With the integrated driving the new Rockport Lyra speakers it was simply magical. Well done Kerem, again.

And since I am using their speakers myself, The Kaiser room was sublime sounding as well. In my opinion they played with the volume a little bit on the low side ( when I heard it ), but the sound was natural and musical in a very elegant way.

A great show again.

JP

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Wish I could have been there to meet Kerem in person, hopefully next year. Glad both rooms were excellent, JP........

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree, the Absolare room with the big Rockports was one of the best. For comparison, I quickly went to the other room with the smaller Rockports, with Soulution electronics, and it was nowhere near as good, with none of the drive and energy of the bigger Rockports/Absolare.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I have ordered 2 Sylvania Nib/Nos 12 AU7 tubes on Ebay. I think they are the same tubes that Kerem used in the integrated at the Munich show. Will report back when they have been in use for a little while.

Rgds
JP

butler

Mar 26, 2013
I have ordered 2 Sylvania Nib/Nos 12 AU7 tubes on Ebay. I think they are the same tubes that Kerem used in the integrated at the Munich show. Will report back when they have been in use for a little while.

Rgds
JP

Nice JP, will be anxious to hear how you like them.........if Kerem used them at Munich, they must be pretty darn good, by all accounts (including yours)!

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Got the Sylvania tubes today and after an hour of warm up I turned on the music. Superb tubes, no doubt. Instant feeling is that tbey sound even better than the RT tubes that came with the amp. Mote later, but if you have the chance buy a pair of these tubes. NIB/NOS with yellow letters on them.

JP

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Fabulous!

Kerem has sourced a couple of very rare RT Black Plate tubes and will be sending them to me next week. Will report back to the forum! :)

As an aside I thought the Absolare room at Munich was one of the best sounding of the show. They have developed a PSU for the Totaldac which looks very interesting and which I am now considering. This was being used at Munich with the d1-twelve.

The Absolare + Totaldac + Rockport combo does seem to work very well and it has me lusting after a pair of Cygnus speaker, not that I could ever afford them in the near future! The Lyras are completely out of the question...

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing