Thinking about upgrading my DCS Puccini

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
I'm thinking about upgrading my DCS Puccini which I use half of the time to play CDs and the other half to play digital files through a Mac Mini using Amarra, which unfortunately is not working very well, hence my willingness to upgrade.

My budget is currently restricted so I'm leaning to trade this system for a Rossini Player. However, I'm not sure if the transport on the Puccini is not better than the one on the Rossini and if it would make better sense to spend a little more money, keeping the Puccini Player and just trading the clock for a higher performance DAC. In this case, my options would be the Vivaldi DAC (which I might get for a good price), a Rossini DAC or a Nagra HD DAC.

Another option could be trading the Puccini system for the Esoteric K1x, but I'm not sure if the Esoteric dealer would have the Puccini as a trade in.

Any opinions?

Thanks
António

Last edited:

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Antonio,

I've had dCs equipment since their very earliest days in the 1990's. For every step up in price, you get better performance. I can't tell you which of your options is "best". My only advice would be to talk to your local dealer and get the best deal you can for the best hardware available. I have converted totally to playing files from a Mac Mini using Audirvana. My last upgrade I traded in the CD player and my pre amp to finance the Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Clock. I run my amps direct from the Vivaldi DAC. I love the sound.

Cincy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
How ofter do you play SACD's vs CD's on your Puccini? I think this is a key question (physical SACD playback) before deciding what's next.

I've own over the years a Puccini, then add the u clock. Then a Scarlatti stack...now a Vivaldi stack. Cincy is right...each step up is better performance.

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
Thank you both.
To answer jfrech, I only have 1 SACD - Brothers in Arms, which I love, but certainly is not enough reason to justify keeping a SACD player. However giving the Esoteric origins of the Puccini transport I figured it should be superior to the one in the Rossini for playing CDs. Naturally the DAC, upsampling, etc. of the Rossini should be superior with an overall superior result, hence the question if I would be better served adding just the Rossini DAC to the Puccini player (with a higher net cost) or just trade one with the other (with a lower net cost)

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you both.
To answer jfrech, I only have 1 SACD - Brothers in Arms, which I love, but certainly is enough reason to justify keeping a SACD player. However giving the Esoteric origins of the Puccini transport I figured it should be superior to the one in the Rossini for playing CDs. Naturally the DAC, upsampling, etc. of the Rossini should be superior with an overall superior result, hence the question if I would be better served adding just the Rossini DAC to the Puccini player (with a higher net cost) or just trade one with the other (with a lower net cost)

So given just 1 SACD, and that is readily available as a high res download, a Rossini is a SIGNIFICANT step up in every single way. Even Redbook CD playback. Plus the Rossini player allows for much better digital file playback via a NAS drive so you can skip your mac mini and USB.

If your dealer will give you a nice trade on the Puccini...the Rossini is a killer great option for you.

number95

May 14, 2014
So given just 1 SACD, and that is readily available as a high res download, a Rossini is a SIGNIFICANT step up in every single way. Even Redbook CD playback. Plus the Rossini player allows for much better digital file playback via a NAS drive so you can skip your mac mini and USB.

If your dealer will give you a nice trade on the Puccini...the Rossini is a killer great option for you.

+1

Rossini player -also when mated with its clock- is a significant digital source. I presume its price to performance compared to rest of DCS gear is the sweet spot.

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
And how about adding a Vivaldi Dac to my system, instead of trading it for the Rossini? It would be more expensive, but would the results be worth it? I'm hoping this will be the last investment in digital for a very long time!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Pessoa
I am in a similar position.
I currently have a Puccini/Scarlatti clock and a collection of SACDs which I rate highly.
If you wish to retain SACD capability with a DCS upgrade you will need both a DCS DAC and SACD capable Dcs transport. The Puccini won't work as a transport with a Dcs Dac. So Rossini Dac and a Vivaldi, used Scarlatti or Paganini, or Rossini player and no SACD.
I haven't resolved how I upgrade yet but have concluded selling the Scarlatti clock is not a good option as the rest of the Dcs gear really benefits from a separate clock

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And how about adding a Vivaldi Dac to my system, instead of trading it for the Rossini? It would be more expensive, but would the results be worth it? I'm hoping this will be the last investment in digital for a very long time!

Are you also considering the upsampler? It looks mandatory.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I think this answer is it depends. Ultimately the Vivaldi is just simply better. However if you don't plan to add (some or all) the other Vivaldi pieces the Rossini and Clock maybe a better and especially more feature rich path. The Rossini has the redbook spinner, the NAS input and upsampler all built in. The Vivaldi DAC you will still need a transport and will have to use USB vs Ethernet. Remember, the Rossini is a HUGE step up from where you are....

If you can swing a Vivaldi DAC, some sort of Transport (like a used Paganini or Scarlatti for example) and can maybe get the Vivaldi upsampler down the road, this would be the better (and more expensive) path for sure.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I went from the Debussy to the Rossini DAC and the difference is incredible. Been thinking about a Scarletti transport and click for the next step to allow sacd and redbook playback through the Rossini. Currently use a Marantz player as a redbook transport and for Sacd.

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015
It seems the Rossini is the preferred choice here! I've been reading some reviews that are indeed very positive on the player specially for CDs. The hifi critic review seems extremely independent and fair. However the reviewer wasn't very impressed about the sound quality of the Rossini in network mode. Does any one know if the Rossini is compatible with the Vivaldi Upsampler in order to upgrade its networking abilities in the future?

My dealer will only have a Rossini for me to try one week from now and I'll start my vacations then. As such I'll leave any decision to September and try to compare the Rossini performance with my Puccini serving as transport for a Nagra DAC, a Vivaldi DAC and possibly also a Rossini DAC.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It seems the Rossini is the preferred choice here! I've been reading some reviews that are indeed very positive on the player specially for CDs. The hifi critic review seems extremely independent and fair. However the reviewer wasn't very impressed about the sound quality of the Rossini in network mode. Does any one know if the Rossini is compatible with the Vivaldi Upsampler in order to upgrade its networking abilities in the future?

My dealer will only have a Rossini for me to try one week from now and I'll start my vacations then. As such I'll leave any decision to September and try to compare the Rossini performance with my Puccini serving as transport for a Nagra DAC, a Vivaldi DAC and possibly also a Rossini DAC.

Yes the Rossini has a Dual AES input so you could add a Vivaldi Upsampler (or any dCS transport like Paganini, Scarlatti or Vivaldi) down the road. I might add the Rossini Clock first however. Was the Hi Fi Critic reviewer saying the transport was better than the network input? If so, I'd have to agree with him...given my Vivaldi experience....that said...great downloads via the network input sound pretty darn nice too !

number95

May 14, 2014
Yes the Rossini has a Dual AES input so you could add a Vivaldi Upsampler (or any dCS transport like Paganini, Scarlatti or Vivaldi) down the road. I might add the Rossini Clock first however. Was the Hi Fi Critic reviewer saying the transport was better than the network input? If so, I'd have to agree with him...given my Vivaldi experience....that said...great downloads via the network input sound pretty darn nice too !

Agree with John. I extensively tried both Rossini player and its clock including different cabling. Without its clock, it is still a good player but it loses its shine. Definitely one should consider Rossini with its clock to get best of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing