Blu-Ray Player: 'Goes black for few seconds' during playback? Why?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Gents,

When playing action movies, i find 2 things happens at least 1-2x per movie:

1. The screen goes black for a few seconds...and then reappears but we've lot 3-5 seconds of the movie

2. During this time, we sometimes lose audio for LESS than the time the screen is black. So its usually "Black/No Audio, then a bit of Audio during Black...then BOTH return but always a few seconds later)

3. I also find that the Audio signal gets much louder/clearer during this time. We are using the Digital out into our DAC.

The only unusual thing about our setup is that after the contractors finished everything in the house, they discovered the HDMI cable they had installed inside the wall was dead...ridiculous! So they used an HDMI to ethernet switch box...which sends the signal back downstairs...which then sends it back upstairs to the outlet where the videoprojector is...and which then converts it back from ethernet to hdmi into the projector

Is it an 'overload' issue where the Blu-ray cannot somehow push the signal all the way downstairs and then back up again? I have heard that the distance of the signal/cable can sometimes matter...in this case it is probably a distance of 100-150 feet or so.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Lloyd. Sorry to say what you are experiencing is a frequent problem with this type of install.

The solution requires using an HDMI analyzer (we have a Quantum Data) which unfortunately hardly any other installers have. So troubleshooting winds up being random.

For now, go to your Blu-ray player and set its resolution temporarily to 720p and see if the problem goes away. That reduces the bandwidth required by half and shows any problems of that sort.

My sense is that you have an HDCP authentication issue. HDCP frequently re-checks the target to make sure it still is a valid HDCP device and if not, the picture will go to black.

Here is the "good part." :) Just call your installer and tell them to fix this. They suffer through this problem all the time and the arrow most likely points to the HDMI to twisted pair transceivers they use. A different brand may work better and they would just need to swap one for the other. They will be grumpy about having to eat the cost but this *is* 100% their problem to resolve. That is why hired them as opposed to doing the work yourself.

Note that the real problem may be in your other devices as almost none of the mass market audio/video products are designed with repeaters inline. What this means that if you change your player or other components in the future, you may experience this or other problems. In general it is always best to avoid these repeaters if you can. But cables do get pinched as in your case and there is no other option than tearing up the walls.

By the way 100 to 150 feet was way, way beyond what plain HDMI cable can do anyway so you had no choice but to use these repeaters.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
HDMI synchronization. ...Trying to handshake audio and picture between other HDMI components.
I have those same experiences on occasion, and some copy protected Blu-ray titles are better than others @ it.
Establishing all the communication through HDMI between the BR player, TV, receiver, cable, etc., and between different brands; we can have weird things happening, like one of of my Sammy Blu-ray player going through my pre-pro will have a scrambled full of dancing pixels screen picture for about two seconds...it is just very ugly and nothing I can do about it as I don't have cable, and zero TV channels...but the pre/pro is going through it anyway with the BR player not able to mute that picture in black.

In your case long HDMI runs are the culprit. You would need an HDMI cable signal booster. Your installer should know that. 150 feet is very very long for HDMI. Some people have bigger problems with only over 30 feet long...with their projectors.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd. Sorry to say what you are experiencing is a frequent problem with this type of install.

The solution requires using an HDMI analyzer (we have a Quantum Data) which unfortunately hardly any other installers have. So troubleshooting winds up being random.

For now, go to your Blu-ray player and set its resolution temporarily to 720p and see if the problem goes away. That reduces the bandwidth required by half and shows any problems of that sort.

My sense is that you have an HDCP authentication issue. HDCP frequently re-checks the target to make sure it still is a valid HDCP device and if not, the picture will go to black.

Here is the "good part." :) Just call your installer and tell them to fix this. They suffer through this problem all the time and the arrow most likely points to the HDMI to twisted pair transceivers they use. A different brand may work better and they would just need to swap one for the other. They will be grumpy about having to eat the cost but this *is* 100% their problem to resolve. That is why hired them as opposed to doing the work yourself.

Note that the real problem may be in your other devices as almost none of the mass market audio/video products are designed with repeaters inline. What this means that if you change your player or other components in the future, you may experience this or other problems. In general it is always best to avoid these repeaters if you can. But cables do get pinched as in your case and there is no other option than tearing up the walls.

By the way 100 to 150 feet was way, way beyond what plain HDMI cable can do anyway so you had no choice but to use these repeaters.

Always knowledgeable and helpful, Amir...thank you!

1. The HDMI cable actually is only about 30 feet...because the player and the projector are close. The reason for the 150 feet is that the ethernet goes downstairs to the main hub and then come BACK upstairs.
Can they snake a new HDMI cable by tying it to the one in the wall already? Or are we likely to destroy the inside of the wall?

If they could do it (and therefore avoid having to convert back to ethernet and then back again) would this be the best option?

2. You are exactly right...the Oppo automatically can ONLY show pictures in 720p...tho for some reason, Blu-Ray still looks tons better than DVD.

3. So are you saying that the little converter boxes (1 on each end of the ethernet cables , both of which require power)...should be from the brand Quantum Data?

4. We have no other devices connected to the projector...we have no cable, tv or other video in the house. Its just the Oppo direct to this ethernet converter into the wall....downstairs to the main hub where it connects to the jack that leads...all the way back upstairs to the other ethernet outlet next to the projector.

5. Which solution do you recommend...new hdmi cable of 30' or the Quantum Data converter?

Thank you!!!1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-problems.html
http://www.cnet.com/news/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/

Long cables/cables with chips
"Throughout the other HDMI articles, I advised getting the cheapest HDMI cables you can for short runs (under 10 feet or so). As HDMI cables get longer, though, they start running into trouble (more on this in a moment). I've tested regular HDMI cables over 50 feet, and the results were mixed. With some source/display combinations, I got an image. With others, I got sparkles or no picture at all. Enter active HDMI cables.

Some HDMI cables have chips built into them that help boost the signal. One example of such a chip is RedMere. I reviewed one of their reference designs (they license their technology). Matt Moskovciak reviewed a 60-foot Monoprice cable with RedMere. Refreshingly, it makes no claims at all about better picture or sound quality (or other such nonsense). Instead, the company says simply that its technology allows for either really thin HDMI cables (spaghetti-thin) or really long cables. There are other active HDMI cables on the market, too, so it's worth checking around if this is something you think you need. Remember, though, the 60-foot Monoprice cable Matt reviewed works and is only $76.88.

Bottom line: If you need to run long HDMI cables (33 feet or more), it's probably worth considering an active cable. The price difference doesn't have to be substantial. Or consider wireless..."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! We have asked the AV guys to come back to either replace the existing dead HDMI cable in the wall...with a much higher quality one, perhaps an active one. OR to put in higher quality boosters/ethernet drivers to ensure the signal makes it all the way downstairs to the main hub and back upstairs to the projector.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Lloyd, quantum data is an analyzer for HDMI problems. It is not a converter to use.

The box they put better NOT be going to your ethernet switch. If it is, then it is made by Just Add Power which uses lossy video compression. It can go to a patch panel and come back but NOT through your data network in your home. If it does, then for sure it is lossy. The Oppo needs to run at 1080p, not 720p. I suggested 720p as a way to test the situation. If they left it running in this mode, it tells me they saw issues at 1080p and lowered the resolution to compensate. Really bad idea. They need to troubleshoot the real problem.

As to fishing a new HDMI cable, if that is how they ran the original cable, then sure, they can run another. If this was a remodel and the cable was run and then walls put up, then it is more work. Still, 30 feet is not a bit deal and at most they have to cut a hole or two and patch/paint the wall.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, quantum data is an analyzer for HDMI problems. It is not a converter to use.

The box they put better NOT be going to your ethernet switch. If it is, then it is made by Just Add Power which uses lossy video compression. It can go to a patch panel and come back but NOT through your data network in your home. If it does, then for sure it is lossy. The Oppo needs to run at 1080p, not 720p. I suggested 720p as a way to test the situation. If they left it running in this mode, it tells me they saw issues at 1080p and lowered the resolution to compensate. Really bad idea. They need to troubleshoot the real problem.

As to fishing a new HDMI cable, if that is how they ran the original cable, then sure, they can run another. If this was a remodel and the cable was run and then walls put up, then it is more work. Still, 30 feet is not a bit deal and at most they have to cut a hole or two and patch/paint the wall.

Thank you again! I just checked...out of the Oppo is an Hdmi cable that runs to an HDMI Extender box which is powered by the wall...this has an Ethernet cable that goes all the way downstairs (i think to the patch panel, NOT thru the network which was not hooked up at that time), and then from downstairs it comes back up to the ethernet outlet just behind the projector where we can see the ethernet cable come out of the wall and (i think) into another box which sits on top of the projector (so i can no longer see it as it is 9 feet up in the air.)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It sounds like it is the normal HDMI over twisted pair transceiver which is good from picture quality point of view. What is not so good is going through the patch panel. HDMI is a very high-speed signal and typical patch panel connections can disturb it. Regardless, I would put the entire problem on the shoulder's of your installer. There is no reason for you to try to troubleshoot or repair it. They need to do it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It sounds like it is the normal HDMI over twisted pair transceiver which is good from picture quality point of view. What is not so good is going through the patch panel. HDMI is a very high-speed signal and typical patch panel connections can disturb it. Regardless, I would put the entire problem on the shoulder's of your installer. There is no reason for you to try to troubleshoot or repair it. They need to do it.

Thanks...have emailed earlier this evening!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing