Redesigning The WE 101D

George Schmermund

Oct 27, 2014
After building a lot of triodes of various designs I've settled on using the planar element path. There certainly are a good selection of designs to borrow from going back to the 20's and 30's. I decided that I really like the look of the WE 101D and it's still a popular tube if eBay is any indication. There are some aspects of the original design that can be simplified and the glass arbor can be dispensed with by using the extra pins on the button pinch to increase the rigidity of the elements. I've also chosen to use parallel filaments instead of the 'V' or 'M' shaped ones. The tennis ball envelopes are cool looking, too, but I'm going to use a plain vanilla cylindrical approach to start with because the tubes will fit into the bakeout oven that I'm using now. I'm playing with making the tennis ball bulbs using the new glass lathe and somewhere down the line I'll make a new oven to handle them.

The photos are of an early version of a planar design that was welded up by just eyeballing the alignment of the parts. It was tedious, but worth the effort to see how things would work. I'm now building them using fixtures to align and hold the parts for easy assembly.

Attachments

• 1-P1040572.JPG
    1-P1040572.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 231
  • 2-P1040575.JPG
    2-P1040575.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 215

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow

DIY to the nth power! Superb! How do these compare to "regular" and NOS version of these tubes in term of measurements? And do you plan to commercialize these?

George Schmermund

Oct 27, 2014
Thank you for the positive comments. I'm building up a few of these planar tubes and adding small tweaks to them. Next week I'll seal some of them and finish the processing. Using different grid ladder spacing and the number of parallel filaments will be the main tests. I have no test results for these tubes yet, but the performance should be good. Since these tubes will be different design-wise from what else is out there, we'll have to see how the numbers turn out. I'm interested in seeing how well the calculations compare to the actual curves. I'm not aiming for replica tubes because I can now make triodes to a meet a wide variety of applications.

As far as the commercialization of these tubes goes, it's not the goal right now. My interest is in showing hobbyists how to make their own tubes. It can be done and at least 3 early attendees to the Workshop have started to organize their own tube labs at home. They now know that the 'impossible' is actually quite doable.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
George

Great! Can we ask you how involved this is? What would it take to start making tubes? Where would someone interested start? What budget in U$ should the person think about to start such? And finally where are the workshops held?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing