Wisdom Audio's New LS3 and LS4 Planar Magnetic Speakers

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like they managed to do away with the current traditional drivers for low bass and replace them with planar magnetics that used to drive higher frequencies. Nice description at the end on the design aspects.

Note: my company is a dealer for this product line. If you have any questions, let me know and I will get it answers.

-----

WISDOM AUDIO INTRODUCES THE WISDOM SERIES, THE ULTIMATE LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEMS DESTINED FOR THE WORLD’S FINEST MUSIC ROOMS, HOME THEATERS, PROFESSIONAL SCREENING ROOMS AND POST-PRODUCTION FACILITIES​

– Featuring an innovative modular approach to loudspeaker design, the Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 wideband planar magnetic line source systems are designed for next level audio experience

Carson City, NV, November 23, 2010 – Wisdom Audio introduces their state-of-the-art modular line source loudspeaker systems, the Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3. Designed by a team directed by David Graebener of Wisdom Audio, these incredible reference level products feature extremely high efficiency, tremendous dynamic range and the ultimate in sound quality. Their remarkable performance and world-class architectural industrial design by Ashcraft Design of Los Angeles make them ideally suited for today’s high-performance music rooms, upscale home theaters and professional post-production screening rooms.

“Through customer feedback, we identified an opportunity to address both the ultra high-end audio market and installations for large theaters where high sensitivity and maximum SPL are critical,” states Mark Glazier, Wisdom Audio President. “We applied the cumulative planar magnetic transducer design experience of our team to create the Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3, resulting in a totally fresh concept, the most advanced speaker we ever made and, we believe, the best performing domestic speaker system available. They completely shatter all preconceptions about speaker performance and placement, while offering the uncompromising customer that prefers to see the speaker in the room a truly unique solution. These products truly amaze.”

Featuring Wisdom’s proprietary wideband planar magnetic line source technologies, the Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 are comprised of newly designed individual modules, 20” in height, each incorporating two planar magnetic midrange drivers flanking a planar magnetic high frequency driver in a vertical line source configuration. The LS4 combination features four modules, with a total vertical line source height of 80”, ideal for placement on either side of a deluxe home theater’s large front projection screen, or as the left and right channels in a stereo configuration. The LS3 includes three modules with a combined vertical line source height of 60”, making it an ideal center channel speaker. For a full behind-the-screen configuration, where the theater is to include a perforated, acoustically transparent front projection screen, designers and installers might opt for three LS3 configurations. As the LS4 and LS3 feature identical acoustical characteristics, in whatever configuration that might be employed listeners will enjoy perfectly matched sound across the entire soundstage.

Unlike conventional speaker systems that typically incorporate various combinations of cone and dome drive units, the Wisdom Series LS3 and LS4 models feature their newest planar magnetic line source drivers. A two-way system, each module features dual high efficiency and ultra-high output upper bass/lower midrange planar magnetic drivers that handle frequencies from 80 Hz to 750 Hz. From there, the high efficiency and ultra-high output upper midrange/tweeter planar magnetic driver covers the rest of the entire audible range, with flat response extending to beyond 20 kHz.

Compared to conventional loudspeakers, which often cross over from the midrange driver to the treble driver in the 3 kHz range (where the human ear has the widest dynamic range and therefore the greatest sensitivity to acoustical aberrations), Wisdom Audio’s wideband planar magnetic technologies provide the ability for the treble driver to cover a much wider range than is possible with a conventional tweeter, eliminating the audible degradation associated with conventional loudspeaker crossover configurations. As the systems are bi-amplified, there are no conventional passive crossovers employed, and the systems present a purely resistive load to the amplifiers, assuring power amplifier stability even at exceptionally elevated output levels. Internal wiring features cabling sourced from Transparent Audio, the industry’s most respected audiophile cable manufacturer.

The technical specifications are indeed beyond impressive. For example, the LS4 features ultra-high efficiency (100 dB at 1 watt/2.83V), along with ultra-high power handling, allowing the system to generate clean, undistorted sound levels to beyond 130dB, completely avoiding the dynamic compression at elevated listening levels that plagues conventional cone and dome loudspeakers. The LS3 features similarly high efficiency and dynamic range capability, to ensure flawless reproduction regardless of the size of the music room, home theater or screening room.

Housed in an elegant, curved arc enclosure, the systems feature a unique aesthetic profile, from award-winning industrial designer Dan Ashcraft who notes, “The objective was to create a design that expresses the power, musical clarity and detail of the Wisdom Series LS4’s amazing speaker technology and visually informs the listener that they are about to experience something completely new. The inspiration was to expose the structure of the 12 beautifully CNC machined aluminum driver frames with stainless steel micro perforated covers to create a spine, flanked by two burled walnut panels that all converge at one finite point – technology perfectly balanced.” Additional finishes will be available, including matte black for behind-the-screen installations. As the depth of each on-wall enclosure is only 12 inches, customers also have the option of working with their interior designers to conceal otherwise visible LS4s and LS3s behind decorative, acoustically transparent cloth for a completely hidden and integrated installation.

Behind The Grille
At the heart of the new Wisdom Series models are the company’s proprietary drivers, which are entirely different in form compared to conventional cones and domes, and require a completely different manufacturing process. For example, unlike conventional speaker drivers which are magnetized (energized) after assembly, the planar magnetic drivers used in the new Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 models incorporate magnet assemblies that are pre-energized prior the driver’s final assembly. As both Wisdom Series driver types incorporate a push-pull magnetic motor system, the brute force necessary to assemble a driver with opposing magnetic motors and pre-energized multiple magnets is indeed substantial – a twelve ton press is required.

As well, the amount of magnetic energy to achieve such high efficiency and wide dynamic range is similarly impressive. For example, the LS4 incorporates no fewer than 1,656 magnets, equal to 392 linear feet (120 meters). The lower range driver uses ceramic magnets, whilst the upper range driver incorporates neodymium magnets. The combined radiating area of the LS4’s low range drivers is equivalent to 43 six-inch conventional drivers, while the combined radiating area of the LS4’s high range drivers is equivalent to 96 one-inch dome tweeters. The LS3 is similarly endowed, using a total of 1,242 magnets, equal to 294 linear feet (90 meters), with a lower range radiating surface area equivalent to 32 six-inch drivers, and the high range surface radiating area is equivalent to 69 one-inch domes. Of course, due to the coherent wavefront planar magnetic line source design, the Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 have none of the sonic aberrations caused by combing effects when multiple conventional drivers are combined in a system.

Optimized System Integration
The Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 are designed to optimally mate with Wisdom Audio’s STS Regenerative Transmission Line® subwoofer, which features the same combination of ultra-high efficiency and dynamic range. With an in-system (externally crossed over) frequency response from 15 Hz to 80 Hz and an efficiency of 101 dB at 1 watt/2.83V, the STS has the dynamic range to handle the deepest bass notes even at extreme output levels as high as 130 dB without distortion or strain. A reference level music system, home theater or screening room/post-production configuration will feature dual STS subwoofers mated to LS4s, LS3s or a combination of the two.

Notes Wisdom Audio’s David Graebener, “The Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 represent the pinnacle of my team’s design capabilities in planar magnetic driver design, and showcase the benefits of our planar magnetic transducers and Regenerative Transmission Line® woofer alignments like none other. They surpass anything I have been involved in designing either for consumer or professional applications and establish a new benchmark for our transducer technology.”

The Wisdom Series LS4 and LS3 systems will be unveiled at the International Consumer Electronics Show in January 2011, with initial deliveries beginning in February. The North American MSRP will be $40,000 each for the Wisdom Series LS4, and $30,000 each for the Wisdom Series LS3.

About Wisdom Audio
Wisdom Audio is the leader in designing and manufacturing high-performance planar magnetic transducers for architectural speaker applications with more than 100 man-years experience. Wisdom Audio was founded in 1996 to create no-compromise planar loudspeaker systems for the most demanding and critical audiophiles. Wisdom Audio systems employ proprietary, custom-made planar magnetic and dynamic transducers optimized for high performance, high-end architectural audio reproduction applications.

Its hybrid-technology systems have earned praise and awards from the specialized media, while satisfying a growing base of customers and dealers worldwide. Wisdom Audio’s multi-award winning Sage Series architectural products are handcrafted in limited quantities by specialized craftsman at its headquarters in Carson City, Nevada.

For more information, please visit www.wisdomaudio.com or call (775) 887-8850.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
John Atkinson's take on these at CES: http://stereophile.com/content/ultimate-wisdom

I have been following with interest the goings-on at Nevada-based Wisdom Audio, since the company was revitalized with members of the team that had led Madrigal to success in the 1990s. But their concentration on in-wall speakers, using planar technology developed by David Graebener, means that they fall within the bailiwick of our sister publication Home Theater. Going in their room at CES, however, I was confronted by the LS4 floor-to-ceiling on-wall ($80,000/pair), which sounded magnificent driven by Classé's superb new CT-M600 monoblocks and reinforced below 80Hz by a pair of Wisdom's enormous STS 2x15" subwoofers ($10,000 each; STS stands for "Steamer Trunk-sized Subwoofer"). The system controller, which includes an active crossover and room correction, costs $6500.

The LS4 uses four identical push-pull modules, each comprising a central HF section operating above 750Hz flanked by midrange sections covering the 80–Hz range. The backwave is absorbed within the enclosure, but the enormous radiating area still gives a sensitvity of 100dB/2.83V/m. (Impedance is 4 ohms.) Though the LS4 is fastened to the wall behind it, the weight is supported by a single spiked foot.

The LS4 is where architectural audio becomes aspirational audio.

They took a better picture than I did :)

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
These are awesome speakers. When well setup, they should blow most box speakers and even a few panel speakers away.

I like that they have engineered a new planar mid-bass unit with the power to provide the 'punch' often missing in planar setups.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Interesting concept. I placed lots of absorption on the front wall behind my Maggies, an approach similar to Wisdom's approach. This goes against conventional "audiophile" lore that you want a live wall behind dipoles, but I like it. I'd love to hear a pair live sometime; how about a CO tour? :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We are close to having our (current generation) Wisdoms dialed in. They are sounding great already. So maybe you can take a nice trip during the summer to this area and hear them Don! :)

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Interesting concept. I placed lots of absorption on the front wall behind my Maggies, an approach similar to Wisdom's approach. This goes against conventional "audiophile" lore that you want a live wall behind dipoles, but I like it. I'd love to hear a pair live sometime; how about a CO tour? :)

Not against measured and tested science, I also have total absorption on my front wall behind my MartinLogans. Big improvement!

My next step is to 'Infinite Baffle' a set of MartinLogan CLX's into false wall across the front of the room. No rear reflections to deal with then ;)

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Last edited:
Hi
“The STS subwoofer, does it have anything in common with the Danley Sound Labs subwoofer (in concept)?”

Well, I have seen a construction drawing as well as looking inside and (to me) it is a simple Tapped Horn (patent applied).
That is the only cabinet alignment i know of that can give that kind of sensitivity and low corner in that size.
We have been selling Tapped Horns for 6 years although mostly for much larger systems than in the home (see the gallery on the web site)

I have worked with drivers and horns much of my life and had some success with a Servomotor driven woofers in the 80’s and 90’s in concert sound.
The Tapped Horn was an offshoot / discovery from the Unity Horn and later Synergy Horn a single radiation source using multiple drivers, a full range horn design I began 12 years ago.
One can read an explanation of the Tapped Horn theory of operation here;

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pdf/danley_tapped.pdf

Unfortunately patent protection does not begin until the patent issues if it issues.
In our case, while I applied quite some time ago, it has not issued and I can’t do anything about other companies building them yet.
For the curious and tolerant of legalese, here is the patent application.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Tx...urce=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Best regards,
Tom Danley
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Tom. I am in the uncomfortable position of my company selling both yours and Wisdom products! :) So I can't take a position in that part of the argument. I did read your white paper in the past and it was superbly written. I have never looked inside a Wisdom sub so don't really know how it is constructed anyway.

Hi amirm
Thanks, hopefully I didn’t give the impression I wish to fight with anyone, I am not in a position to do anything anyway, just wanted to answer the question in perspective.
Hey that is cool you’re familiar with our speakers; we don’t have a lot of presence in the home / home theater area so I would guess who ever you work for /with is a larger scale “enthusiast” haha.

This is the area I am most interested in personally though, I love sound, the reproduction chain. I have been as interested in microphones and recording as reproduction although the business is loudspeakers.
I have been fiddling with a microphone array for capturing a stereo image.
If interested, down load the Harley and Train recordings at the web site and listen to them through head phones.
If you try them, let me know what you think.
I have been exploring the forums here and enjoying the journey.
Best,
Tom Danley

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi amirm
Thanks, hopefully I didn’t give the impression I wish to fight with anyone, I am not in a position to do anything anyway, just wanted to answer the question in perspective.
Oh, I didn't mean that either. :)

Hey that is cool you’re familiar with our speakers; we don’t have a lot of presence in the home / home theater area so I would guess who ever you work for /with is a larger scale “enthusiast” haha.
Hmmm, I don't work for anyone :). I am the founder of Madrona Digital in Seattle area. You probably know some of my guys (http://www.madronadigital.com/about/About.html) who worked with you to source a couple of your Cinemonsters for a local theater. I plan to go and hear them this week but my guys say with just the two subs, it brings the house down literally with ceiling tiles falling and such! They replaced four subs that couldn't do the job. We also work very closely with Keith Yates and he can't recommend you and your company highly enough.

This is the area I am most interested in personally though, I love sound, the reproduction chain. I have been as interested in microphones and recording as reproduction although the business is loudspeakers.
I have been fiddling with a microphone array for capturing a stereo image.
If interested, down load the Harley and Train recordings at the web site and listen to them through head phones.
If you try them, let me know what you think.
I have been exploring the forums here and enjoying the journey.
Best,
Tom Danley
Will do and hope to see your contributions here. Low frequency reproduction is such a challenge and having a person with your expertise here is a great gift!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Thank you all for the links and explanations about the subwoofer.

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/wisdom_series-why-planar-magnetics.php

Wisdom Audio is one of the first companies to abandon PET (Mylar™) in favor of more advanced materials that have superior dynamic and temperature characteristics.

I've read about some of these materials before while doing research on hovercraft skirts. The skirts at the tip end or "contact line" experience high frequency oscillations (heat) because of air flow at the gap and wear down.

Raul GS

Aug 1, 2010
I've read about some of these materials before while doing research on hovercraft skirts. The skirts at the tip end or "contact line" experience high frequency oscillations (heat) because of air flow at the gap and wear down.
Is there any further infomration on these advanced materials? I would really like to learn more about their application in audio, and I'm guessing Wisdom Audio is the only one using them at them moment.

Thanks

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
You know what Amir, I would be willing to send you my entire system sans speakers. Those Wisdom speakers should sound seamless like my Scintillas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing