Crowd Cow

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's an idea - get a couple of friends together, hunt down the best ranches with the happiest cows and buy a whole cow. Weighing in at over 1,500 lbs, you need a LOT of friends to eat a whole cow. Also, there's actually very little of the premium steak. Most of the cow would end up being ground beef.

Two meat-loving Seattleites did this, and founded Crowd Cow. The current cow is a 100% grass-fed, grass-finished cow from Step-by-step Farms - producing dry-aged beef. It can be quite impossible to get dry-aged beef at a supermarket, and the only place that you can go to sample this is an expensive steakhouse. So, if you like beef at home, come join me on funding this cow. It's already 60% sold as I type this. I'm on my way for a long trip to Asia, and hoping to come home to a wonderful steak.

rib650px.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary. We buy whole lamb from a local breeder once a year and that is of course pretty manageable size wise. It is amazing quality well above anything we can buy in stores. Same breeder (grower?) also sells half a lamb. My question to you is how you determine what part of the cow you get when you buy fractions smaller than half??? And what is the per pound, butchered cost?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Gary and good afternoon to you. I like this....... "In fact, our steaks are vacuum-sealed in sous-vide ready pouches". Have you ordered and eaten some of these cuts yet? I'm fairly intrigued....

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Click the steak :D
Never said I was the smartest tool in the shed. :D

So they sell them like a butcher shop would, not fractional like we would source from our local farm. I am surprised that the innards are gone first. With the lamb we source, no one wants them so we not only get ours for free, we also get the ones from other lambs that are slaughtered! Surprised to see how much they are getting for the beef equiv.

I would have gotten the steak special but that is gone. I will speak to my wife to see if we should buy one of the other packages. The picture you post is a killer!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello, Gary and good afternoon to you. I like this....... "In fact, our steaks are vacuum-sealed in sous-vide ready pouches". Have you ordered and eaten some of these cuts yet? I'm fairly intrigued....

Tom

Yes - we had some from an earlier cow, and it was some of the best steaks I've ever had. This time, I bought 3 shares with over 15lbs of beef. I'm in particular looking forward to the point-cut brisket. I'll make beef bourguinon (recipe already posted here) and Chinese radish-stewed beef.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Never said I was the smartest tool in the shed. :D

So they sell them like a butcher shop would, not fractional like we would source from our local farm. I am surprised that the innards are gone first. With the lamb we source, no one wants them so we not only get ours for free, we also get the ones from other lambs that are slaughtered! Surprised to see how much they are getting for the beef equiv.

I would have gotten the steak special but that is gone. I will speak to my wife to see if we should buy one of the other packages. The picture you post is a killer!

The picture was from another cow - pure bred Wagyu from an island in the San Juans. These things go fast. By the time I clicked on my email, the oxtail was already gone. So were the marrow bones. Sign up for their emails.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Marrow bones are fought over! As for the innards they are a staple for many latin dishes but not so (duh..) for most other western fare. The front knees are especially prized by restaurants for making stock. This got me looking around for home dry aging fridges, apparently there is one going under crowd funding but the lone review is negative. Seems there are a couple of good ones. One from Germany and one from Oz that handles temp and humidity very well. All for the price of a power cord LOL!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing