Turntable options

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi everyone!

I have been doing research and have considered MANY different options. I use to have an HR-X, which I sold to get part of the downpayment on my first house. Yay / *cries a little bit*! My mind keeps drifting back to someone who mentioned they moved from an HR-X to a Technics turntable of some type that had been heavily modified and he put a reed arm on it. They were happy with the jump. Anyone have any experience / know what table it might have been / cost to get that done? If so, do you recommend the jump? Other main tables I have considered are Basis, VPI Aries, Oracle, and Hanss. I'd like to keep my spending to a minimum and will likely do some serious waiting for individual parts. I am not set on any one table, but if I see one great table for a great price I'll jump on it. That is more fun anyway because it lets me try new things. =P

I look forward to your responses!

Best regards,
Stephen

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Stephen, Do you have a budget, and how involved with analog do you want to be? That is, are you a set and forget kind of guy or are you willing to spend a lot of time optimizing your cartridge and arm adjustments? Will you be setting up the turntable yourself?

If you are in Europe, I would add SME to your list. They are less expensive, perhaps even more now considering the British Pound, and they have a full range line at many price points. I've heard different opinions about restored Technics SP10s. What kind of plinth, how much modding, etc.

Share some more information and it might be easier for people to offer suggestions and advice.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi Peter,

Thank you for the prompt response! I actually forgot to add SME to the list. I haven't heard one personally but from what I hear, they are great. I live just moved to Peachtree City, South of Atlanta by about an hour. The ideal is to go with used due to not having much extra cash after buying the house.

I am fine spending a lot of time optimizing the cart and arm adjustments. I did that before with my VPI HR-X and VDH Colibri XGW. I shouldn't have sold my Colibri... I will set the turntable up myself. Also, if anyone has an extra turntable to help me get back on my feet in the audio game feel free to send me a PM or even reply on the thread! :p

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Oh, I almost forgot budget... Sadly, I don't have much more than 3, right now.. Hopefully in the near future that will go up to 5 or 6.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing