Thread: Fogzometer users were do you connect/ get signal to adjust azimuth?

Fogzometer users were do you connect/ get signal to adjust azimuth?

Hi guys,

When using your Fogzometer, were do you connect it? Do you connect it to the Phono interconnect coming from your tonearm? Do you get the signal from the main out of your full function preamp? If you have a separate linestage & phono stage were do you get the signal for your Fogzometer? Not using a Fogzometer others get their signal from the amplifier speaker output but hard to do if your doing it alone . Any advantage/ disadvantage?

Thanks in advance ,

Tdh888
    VPI TNT 6 w/ Classic Platter upgrade, Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, VPI HR-X ,JMW12.7 ,Lyra Kleos, ARC REF 5SE, REF Phono 2SE, REF 610T monoblocks, ARC SP 10MK2, a pair of D79B's, Duntech C5000 speakers, Magnepan MG3A Speakers.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    I plug my tone arm cable directly into the foz. More accurate than using the preamp output, imo.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    I plug my tone arm cable directly into the foz. More accurate than using the preamp output, imo.
    Hi Rockitman,

Thanks for your reply .I usually connect the Fogzometer to my linestage or at the main out of my full function preamp to lessen the variables. Because I was thinking if you got the azimuth right at the phono cable / tonearm , what happens when the signal enters your preamp , phonostage going down to the linestage. Others say to get it from the speaker out put terminal of the power amp ( Fogzometer cant be used) using an oscilloscope or DVOM but I don't know how & it's hard to do by yourself. I hoping to hear some more suggestions from are fellow members .

Tdh888
    VPI TNT 6 w/ Classic Platter upgrade, Kuzma Stogi REF 313 VTA, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, VPI HR-X ,JMW12.7 ,Lyra Kleos, ARC REF 5SE, REF Phono 2SE, REF 610T monoblocks, ARC SP 10MK2, a pair of D79B's, Duntech C5000 speakers, Magnepan MG3A Speakers.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    tdh888,

I do it exactly as you with the Fozgometer. Since the signal is going to go through different gear and cables anyway, why not measure it at the end tip? The speaker out thing was how it was done before the Fozgometer existed

One thing: it is important to routinely calibrate your Fozgometer: Fozgometer Testing and Calibration Procedure

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audionet - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kronos - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    tdh888,

I do it exactly as you with the Fozgometer. Since the signal is going to go through different gear and cables anyway, why not measure it at the end tip? The speaker out thing was how it was done before the Fozgometer existed

One thing: it is important to routinely calibrate your Fozgometer: Fozgometer Testing and Calibration Procedure

cheers,
    alex
    Hi Alex ,

Thanks for the reply . I also posted this in another forum . They're opinion regarding my practice of connecting the Fogzometer to the linestage is that it may cause unusual wear tear for the stylus because the cartridge is compensating for the short comings of one's electronics . Which I think is a valid reason. But the question is would your azimuth optimized for your system?

tdh888