Ever wonder why musicians do drugs and get depressed? Great Articles Explain

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The way I read it was that being a performing musician is three acts: The first act is long hours of practice; the second act is performing; the third act is the unbridled sex, drugs and partying after the performance. It's the third act that kills them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good reading. :cool:

Musicians aren't alone @ having a tough life, an unbalanced life, a stressful life, a depressing life. I'd rather be a musician than a stock broker, a Wall Street trader, or a lawyer, or a judge, or a factory worker, or an office analyst, a real estate agent, or an insurance salesman, or a stripper, or a road maintenance worker, or a fashion show designer, or an actor, or a policeman, or a politician, ...

Best job? ...A painter, an art designer, a sculptor, an architect, a decorator, a poet, a writer, a philosopher, a filmmaker, an art critic, a plumber, an electrician, an audio salesman. :b

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think the depression and the road to drugs many times comes from the inability to create what is in your head...but not anywhere else. Plus, the music you create is never as great as you wish, or think, it could be...even if others think it is superb. The immense highs and lows of the industry are also a catalyst for the many psychological issues....All IMHO.;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The ladder to stardom is filled with ups and downs; up to the point where you are no more in control of your life.
It is similar with actors in movies, like 'Batman v Superman'; it's a bad movie but most people love it...with almost $1 billion @ the box office.
Look @ many pop stars...it's very similar. The high end class with real taste in music (classical) and films (masterpiece) is the minority, the elite, the mature evolution of life inside intelligent education to the benefit of the true art. ...In my opinion of course. Totally debatable, free and non-political.

Road is a killer, motels and hotels are like jails, drugs, booze and sex is unstable. It's hard to have a garden when you are always on the road, people (audience) is your garden.
But there is no illusion, many musicians were born for it...performing live...and they love it...till they die. ...Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc., etc., etc.

There is always a flip side to that coin.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It is similar with actors in movies, like 'Batman v Superman'; it's a bad movie but most people love it...with almost $1 billion @ the box office.

Isn't that a contradiction? :)

Good movies are ones we like. Bad movies are ones we don't like.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Isn't that a contradiction? :)
Good movies are ones we like. Bad movies are ones we don't like.

It sure is: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Professional movie critics have their average opinion, the average audience have their own opinion (it can reflect the pros or it can diverge), I have my own personal opinion, and the Hollywood movie studio executives have also their own opinion; it all depends of our perspective. ...Say between suggestive and objective art and between financial satisfaction and pleasurable entertainment. Our mind functions according to our own values; it's the freedom of choice in a democratic and capitalist society.
Whatever sells ...

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Box office: $872.7 million
________

What's good, what's bad, what's best? ...A balance of proportion in our values? See, it's a question of perspective; nobody can impose his philosophy to no one else.
Our opinion is ours. We have the right to agree or disagree, and we are ready for the consequences of our opinion. That's who we are, unafraid of standing for the rules of men in a socially diversified human race.

Musicians they make their choice; that's the path they decide in their life...with all the ups and downs that come with it and their level of control/balance.
Nobody told them that they had to abuse drugs and alcohol and sex, nobody; that's on their own free will.
The job of performing live comes with the territory; travelling on the road and in the air. The other stuff on how to spend your time between gigs is up to them...a good book, few movies, some classical music listening, learning the culture of other people from other countries, giving generously to the ones less fortunate, sharing your music with other musicians, initiate world's discussions, explore avenues of improvement, ...evolving, loving life day to day one @ a time.

A happy marriage is the strong relationship of benefits between one person and another...a garden well maintained from dedicated love, earth, water and sun.

Man lives with many contradictions, and without a definite destination. Musicians, actors, artists, ...live that kind of life...many.
What is the ultimate life's direction? :b

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It sure is: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Professional movie critics have their average opinion, the average audience have their own opinion (it can reflect the pros or it can diverge), I have my own personal opinion, and the Hollywood movie studio executives have also their own opinion; it all depends of our perspective. ...Say between suggestive and objective art and between financial satisfaction and pleasurable entertainment. Our mind functions according to our own values; it's the freedom of choice in a democratic and capitalist society.
Whatever sells ...

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Box office: $872.7 million
________

What's good, what's bad, what's best? ...A balance of proportion in our values? See, it's a question of perspective; nobody can impose his philosophy to no one else.
Our opinion is ours. We have the right to agree or disagree, and we are ready for the consequences of our opinion. That's who we are, unafraid of standing for the rules of men in a socially diversified human race.

Musicians they make their choice; that's the path they decide in their life...with all the ups and downs that come with it and their level of control/balance.
Nobody told them that they had to abuse drugs and alcohol and sex, nobody; that's on their own free will.
The job of performing live comes with the territory; travelling on the road and in the air. The other stuff on how to spend your time between gigs is up to them...a good book, few movies, some classical music listening, learning the culture of other people from other countries, giving generously to the ones less fortunate, sharing your music with other musicians, initiate world's discussions, explore avenues of improvement, ...evolving, loving life day to day one @ a time.

A happy marriage is the strong relationship of benefits between one person and another...a garden well maintained from dedicated love, earth, water and sun.

Man lives with many contradictions, and without a definite destination. Musicians, actors, artists, ...live that kind of life...many.
What is the ultimate life's direction? :b

Goodness Gracious Bob! You don't need much to go ballistico-philosophical!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are 7.35 billion people living on our planet. Out of that number I don't know exactly how many musicians; but sure there are some even here @ WBF, and they have an experienced opinion, and in their own words. :b

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
There are 7.35 billion people living on our planet. Out of that number I don't know exactly how many musicians; but sure there are some even here @ WBF, and they have an experienced opinion, and in their own words. :b

Here I also give up :(

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I worked in publishing for close to 25 years and spent roughly 75% of my time on the road throughout North America. I would leave on Sunday night and schedule myself to go back home at some point the following Thursday. Half of the time these plans never quite materialized and I'd find myself travelling to yet another destination, which on many occasions turned into 2 or 3 week stretches. Sometimes I'd fly home for the weekend, but more often than not my work schedule and commitments kept me on the road and away from my family far longer than I cared for.

After a while you become numb and depression sets in, although it first you don't identify it as such, but it creeps in and lingers. This is the point whereby things can turn ugly and travelling musicians are certainly similarly affected, if not moreso. Additionally, and unlike us mere working stiffs, they have entourages, groupies, managers and a host of other hangers-on that make it easy to get freebies of drugs, alcohol and sex at any time. Since musicians too are only human it is much easier for them to fall into a trap of excess. Before you know it a little help to ease the pain of depression and loneliness becomes a serious dependency.

As a mere young executive with dreams of moving up the ladder, and not being exposed to the easy access of all those temptations, I came out of this traveling insanity relatively unscathed (although it wasn't always smooth sailing by any stretch), but I'm glad I was never exposed to what musicians are.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As a mere young executive with dreams of moving up the ladder, and not being exposed to the easy access of all those temptations, I came out of this traveling insanity relatively unscathed (although it wasn't always smooth sailing by any stretch), but I'm glad I was never exposed to what musicians are.

Sounds like you had to deal with the same shitty elements of the job as musicians, but missed out on the fun part :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
And I thought it was because they listened to too much vinyl.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Difficult question.

Artists are faced with their emotions on a constant basis and are trying to use those to produce Beauty. An himalayan task. Questions are left unanswered in their minds. Sufferance become a tool, a constant companion. For the recognized Artists, Life successes what for many is the goal: Women (or men depending on orientation), money, fame become routine, many needs are fulfilled few wants comes to their minds. For both successful artists and those who "fail", Life become a burden, the suffering may produce beauty or not, since the notion of "beauty" depends on a fleeting, imprevisible and frankly cruel public. Or the inspiration run dry. The Artists can feel no "beauty" coming out of their emotions. Artists successful or not are constantly faced by the ugliness of human nature. The sordid becomes their Ordinary. The mind can take so much and some minds, I would think the more sensitive minds, those of Artists, become disturbed and seek constant refuge in Altered State of Consciousness or too often, alas, simply give up and try to leave for good.

A trial at explanation. I'm an engineer with no training in Psychology.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I doubt the reasons for musicians to use, abuse or become addicted to drugs and alcohol are any different than the reasons for anyone else to do so. A lot of it is genetic, and many have hypothesized that high intelligence, high creativity, high athletic ability, etc. are "associated" with the genes for addiction. I'm sure more will be revealed (discovered) in time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Musicians, actors, olympic athletes, ...drugs, booze and sex are not specific to one class. Musicians are not different than any other people whose jobs are on the road, like professional truck drivers, airplane pilots, flight attendants, etc. Some air pilots get depressed too, and commit suicide in the air, with all passengers aboard. Now, that's bad.
A broken marriage can be more depressing than heroin, or be on a bus touring. Not making your mortgage payments can be more damaging to your physical and mental health than feeling depressed to see highways, roads, towns, play like a slave like a prostitute, exhibiting yourself to an audience, becoming a falling star to drugs, alcohol and sex abuse.
The addiction can be fatal, the end result of a deep depression. What is a normal family life...chlldren growing around and playing with the dogs on your lawn aroud the fruit trees and vegetables garden. The baseball game @ the local park and the barbecues with hotdogs, hamburgers and T-bone steaks. ...The beer garden with the beautiful young waitresses. The drives on Sundays to the beach passing through the forest first. The picnics on the mountains and the search for mushrooms and endangered birds species. Jumping on your bicycle and aim to the golf course to meet your foursome for an eighteen holes game. A game of chess in Central Park, NYC. A pina colada on your balcony with Miles Davis playing in the patio speakers. ...Yes all that, and to be on the road is a tough life, but not for the sensitive musicians who chose that path and end up with more drugs than cash, or both without having a cue on the meaning of life.
But then there are many kind of musicians who are doing very well thank you very much; the Stones, Led Zep, Beatles, Alice Cooper, ...

Everyone can get depressed and fall into drugs and alcohol, not just some musicians travelling on the road.
Many musicians depend of their audience...without an audience buying your CDs and music concert tickets Justin Bieber wouldn't even make the news.
He's just a poor kid in search of a life's direction. And he's not alone in trying to adapt with a constantly demanding society of laws and order.

How many musicians overdosed? A very small percentage compared to actors and road salesmen and Wall Street stock traders.
Working inside four walls of an office of the sixteen floor of a city skyscraper is much more depressing than inside buses, vans, trucks, airplanes, ...travelling the world and landing in many cities for rock concert music shows. Yes, it's a very tough live being a travelling musicians; we should start a fund for them so that they can stay home and raise a normal family with a garden, some trees and few pets...dogs, cats and chicken.

And about those street musicians playing on front of liquor stores? Man, that's a real tough life to not feel depressed and not be influenced by all the liquors and drugs and prostitutes.
They too would love to have a normal life with a home and a wife and cats and children playing ball in the swimming pool.

Do we ever hear about lawyers, justice judges, prosecutors, police officers, jail administrators, economists, financial planners, insurance salesmen, construction foremen, elected officials committing suicide over depression?

I think we have to be realistic and give people the balance they decide for themselves in life. It's an honorable job to help and protect the poor and the unfortunate ones, to give our planet clean air, to give people food and a roof, to help others having their own families with respect and dignity. ...And not just our own.

Anyway, just some thoughts on this beautiful Sunday afternoon on the Island with everything around it. I just don't know how I do it, but I just do it. I wish I was living a tougher life so that I can understand better the ones who are less or more happier living theirs where they are...musicians included. And I'm sure we all know some friends musicians who live that life professionally and how hard, or beautiful it can be. Janis, Jimi, Jim, Amy, ...
Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, David Bowie, the Stones, Ozzy, Alice, Elvis, Adele, Justin Bieber ...

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I think it is pretty simple. You work your ass off trying to be good, and innovative, and popular. Somehow you get a lucky break and you make it to the big time. Maybe you sell one big album, sometimes two, then your efforts are looked at as compromised because you are repeating your successful formula and not coming up with anything new. Or if you do go a different direction you lose the fans that made you into a star. Your producer is probably to blame for making you do what he says, but you take the personal hit.

Then you are stuck playing free concerts at local community bandshells for the next 20-30 years, repeating the few songs that made you popular for an aging audience, in exactly the way they were recorded, because to play them any other way ostracizes the audience when they can't sing along.

Playing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" for the 5,000 time, in exactly the same way each time would make me take drugs too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's good for kids to become music stars, and experiment with hallucinogens, liquors and sex. It's part of North American culture. Then you grow up and start making real decisions.
Musicians are no different than anyone else; we all make our own decision, and everybody can get depressed.
We're all equal, except for knowledge, education and size of bank account.
Our blood is all red, our skins are rainbow, we all have a heart and we all live on the same planet.

Lol, musicians aren't the only ones travelling and missing a real home. Besides, being on the road can be more happier times than being @ home. It's all relative.
And musicians aren't the only ones doing drugs, drinking and having sex. ...Like if they were a class on their own because they play music for audiences.
Strippers strip for audiences too, and actors act for audiences. Classical music composers get depressed too, they struggle to survive.

Kids are big ticket buyers for musicians/singers they love...Justin Bieber, Adele, etc. Rock and Roll and Punk and Rap and Western and Heavy Metal music are active/dancing disco music for America, just like Samba is to Rio in South America. It attracts tons of kids, and more kids mean more money, and money buy toys, drugs, liquors, cars and sex.
Being a star is no different than being a club stripper...in some ways.

Yeah, this thread is funny, the link is funny...some stuff to write about and to discuss. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing