dCS Vivaldi Cables?

Custodian

May 26, 2013
image.jpg

Testing reflection in various digital cables we found some interesting cable variations

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ideally we should have seen a straight line. I won't embarrass any particular manufacturer by naming the particularly poor performers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Ideally we should have seen a straight line. I won't embarrass any particular manufacturer by naming the particularly poor performers.

You will not embarrass any cable manufacturer with measurements. If you find that an excellent sounding cable measures poorly in your measurement of characteristic measurement it means that you should find something else to measure if you want to explain why it sounds so good.
Interested people can look at the Mogami site showing graphs of measurements in the section of their digital cables - they present much more information than pictures of screen oscilloscopes.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
This was primarily done for clock cables. Maybe unsurprisingly, those cables which showed minimal disruption of signal actually sounded best. Nice to see a convergence of subjective with measurement.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This was primarily done for clock cables. Maybe unsurprisingly, those cables which showed minimal disruption of signal actually sounded best. Nice to see a convergence of subjective with measurement.

Yes, we can think that clock cables are more easily "predictable", as the clock is stabel signal. But as far as I know your Tektronix 7854 is a 400 MHz oscilloscope - it will show coarse mismatches, but some manufacturers claim that audible differences can show in the GHz zone.

An important detail concerning most quality digital cables is that they should not be bent with a very small curvature radius - it will severally affect the performance.

Custodian

May 26, 2013
Yes, we can think that clock cables are more easily "predictable", as the clock is stabel signal. But as far as I know your Tektronix 7854 is a 400 MHz oscilloscope - it will show coarse mismatches, but some manufacturers claim that audible differences can show in the GHz zone.

An important detail concerning most quality digital cables is that they should not be bent with a very small curvature radius - it will severally affect the performance.

Exactly. I viewed the clock cable as a much simpler, more predictable situation. From that point of view, I thought there was possibly little real benefit in exotic high end designer cables for the clock signal

Your point on bending is also a good one. Any thoughts on mechanical micro vibration in digital cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing