PS audio BHK Preamp

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I took possesion of the new PS Audio BHK Preamps, last week. I got burn in and some listening time in and all I can say this preamp knocks it out of the park. In my previous expirimentations with preamps, I found that anything below $10K was neutral at best, and the $13K ARC 5SE was the only preamp I ever used that unambigiously improved sound - I never ventured into more expensive territory than that.

The PS Audio BHK does so (i.e. dramtically improve SQ over DAC direct) as well at less than half the price. I have made too many systems changes since I owned the Ref 5SE to conclusively say which one offers more improvement over DAC direct (which will also be system dependent), but the improvement I was hoping to get out of resinserting a preamp in my system has been delivered in spades. Just more musicality, more space and dymanics across the board.

Anyone in the market for a top notch tube preamp should give this one a listen. Interested to hear how it stacks up against much pricier competition in direct comparisons. Some reviewers on PS audio site have done just that and had very good results.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please do keep us posted of power amp comparisons of BHK to others if you come across any through your BHK circle.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I took possesion of the new PS Audio BHK Preamps, last week. I got burn in and some listening time in and all I can say this preamp knocks it out of the park. In my previous expirimentations with preamps, I found that anything below $10K was neutral at best, and the $13K ARC 5SE was the only preamp I ever used that unambigiously improved sound - I never ventured into more expensive territory than that.

The PS Audio BHK does so (i.e. dramtically improve SQ over DAC direct) as well at less than half the price. I have made too many systems changes since I owned the Ref 5SE to conclusively say which one offers more improvement over DAC direct (which will also be system dependent), but the improvement I was hoping to get out of resinserting a preamp in my system has been delivered in spades. Just more musicality, more space and dymanics across the board.

Anyone in the market for a top notch tube preamp should give this one a listen. Interested to hear how it stacks up against much pricier competition in direct comparisons. Some reviewers on PS audio site have done just that and had very good results.

Congrats! It's always great to find giant killer products at a decent price.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What was pre and post break-in sound, out of curiosity?

I did not pay much attention. I kept it turned on for a week or so, and did not have much time to listen pre break-in. It seems to be shining now and better than out of the box, but I can't vouch for this observation and the differences could be small to significant to anyone with better ears (and more time and patience) than me. So not being of much help here.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Please do keep us posted of power amp comparisons of BHK to others if you come across any through your BHK circle.

Read the PS audio thread if you're curious. I personally don't rotate much gear through my system anymore. I will say my current all PS audio amplification is better than the Spectral electronics I used previously (DMC 30 series SS and 360 series II monos). Synergy was a big factor. Using spectral preamp wth PS audio monos was a disaster as was using MIT cabling with PS audio. Back to transparent now.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I heard a lot of systems with the PS Audio electronics at RMAF and they were always neutral.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing