LCD CRUSHES OLED in another Public Shoot-Out...SHOCK!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Wow, what a misleading headline. First, there were only 22 people voting. The OLED received 18 of the 22 votes as the best of the 4 with SDR material. Most material we watch is SDR. The OLED finished third of the four sets with HDR material. The Sammy had 9 first place votes, the Panny 6 and the OLED 4. Hardly crushed IMHO. I have seen all these sets except the Panny in controlled conditions. Yes, the Sammy is bright but for me it was hard to watch in a dark room. I found the HDR on the OLED the better viewing experience in a dark room, even though the LG still has issues coming out of black. Hopefully, LG will up its game on the processing front as there is still much work to do. BTW, the Panny is not available in the US.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Europeans, Japanese and American videophiles weren't created all the same. Even the electricity runs @ different voltages, and the scanning.

This was also released today: http://www.areadvd.de/tests/special...onic-samsung-sony-wer-bietet-welche-vorzuege/
______

* Bonus: http://www.areadvd.de/tests/unsere-...nten-lautsprecher-soundbars-stehen-ganz-oben/
{Just use your 'translator' assistant.}

I never compared those four TVs together, but I remember to be much more impressed by the latest Samsung 4K LCD LED TV than by LG OLED not latest offering...overall.
Sony and Panasonic I care less for them. Sony is overcharging and is not a good supporter. Panasonic I'm done with them...forever.
This, is personal experience, nobody else but my own decision.

I posted before about the LG OLED being the winner here in North America, and Sony was second. I'll try to relocate...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The full article from Mark:

Value Electronics 2016 TV Shootout Results
At CE Week 2016, four TVs—one OLED and three FALD-LCDs—were lined up next to each other to see which could garner the highest vote tally from an audience of enthusiasts. The votes are in—about 80 in all—and the 2016 Value Electronics TV Shootout "King of TV" is the LG OLED65G6P, the company's flagship 65" HDR-capable OLED display.

Ultimately, the G6 OLED ($8000 MSRP) won in every voting category except for "overall day," and did so by a fairly wide margin. The G6 is an emissive display, meaning each pixel generates its own light and is independently dimmable—all the way down to pure black. Meanwhile, the three LCD competitors—Sony's XBR-75X940D ($6000 MSRP), Samsung's UN78KS9800 ($10,000 MSRP), and Vizio's RS65-B2 ($6000 MSRP) all featured FALD (full-array local-dimming) LED backlighting and VA (vertical alignment) panels. VA LCDs are known for their high contrast and deeper blacks when compared to IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panels, but they have a narrower viewing cone in which colors and contrast are optimal.

The event was expertly presented by Joel Silver, the founder of ISF (Image Science Foundation). The very notion that you can calibrate a consumer TV is Joel's idea, and his knowledge on the topic is both broad and deep. It was amazing to see Joel get through four hours of often-technical explanations regarding video technologies with such ease.

Joel took the audience through all the image-quality parameters that were judged in the shootout. He encouraged people to stand up and scrutinize the TVs, which is vitally important when judging the image quality of TVs with limited optimal viewing angles.

Attendees at the shootout voted on seven picture quality-related categories: black quality, perceived contrast, color accuracy, moving resolution, off-axis performance, screen uniformity, and HDR/WCG (high dynamic range/wide color gamut). Additionally, they voted on the more general "overall day" and "overall night" categories. It's worth noting that HDR/WCG only accounted for 11 percent of the total vote, even though it's a major selling point of all the contenders.

When it comes to UHD/4K resolution versus HDR with WCG, Joel stressed that higher dynamic range and wider color gamut are much more obvious improvements to viewers than the leap to 8-megapixel resolution. To support the claim, he pointing out tests performed by ISF that reveal the typical resolution of a commercial 35mm film print intended for commercial use is equivalent to just one megapixel. (How was that determined? A 35mm print of a resolution test pattern was created as any movie release print would be made—it was the fourth generation from the original camera negative—and shown to groups of experts at a seating distance of 1.5 picture heights from the screen in six different theaters around the country. The viewers were asked to identify the finest resolution they could discern in the pattern, which corresponded to about one megapixel.)

This was the first year that UHD footage with HDR and WCG in the voting process. However, the voting on these capabilities was confined to one category out of nine. I understand that HDR footage is still a bit hard to come by, but there's more and more of it every day, and I would have liked to see HDR and WCG separated into two categories.

The final overall scores for the four TVs were as follows:

First place: LG G6 (8.9)
Second Place: Sony X940D (8.0)
Third Place: Samsung KS9800 (7.3)
Fourth Place: Vizio RS65-B2 (6.9)

Here are the votes by category ?

Unlike years past, the ballots from professional reviewers, calibrators, and other industry pros were not tabulated separately from the general audience. Most of the attendees were deemed to be very sophisticated—many were active AVS members—so it was decided to tabulate all ballots together.

This marks the third consecutive year that OLED has taken the "King of TV" crown. OLED's wide viewing angles and ultra-deep blacks are its strong suits, and in a dark room, the extreme contrast ratio it achieves can be seductive—even if it comes at the cost of losing some shadow-detail rendition. The critical and consumer reception of OLED has been tremendous, so its victory in this competition does not come as a surprise.

Sony's X940D took second place in the shootout. It was number one in the "overall day" category, and scored above the other two FALD-LCD displays in every category. Although only available in one size, it is a home theater-centric flat display that shows the potential of FALD-LCD combined with HDR with WCG.

Samsung's KS9800 came in third place and garnered lower scores than both the LG and the Sony in every single category. This result came as a significant surprise to me. I thought it was more than competitive in several voting categories, but the audience clearly saw things differently.

I noticed the KS9800 featured in the shootout had a dark softball-sized circular splotch in the screen that is potentially indicative of a faulty LED in the FALD array. Numerous comments were made about its visibility in actual content and how that affected votes.

I've seen a few KS9800s over the past month or so, and this is the first time I have seen such an obvious flaw in one. It makes me wonder if there was a defective LED in the backlight array given the size and shape of the defect. Another thing I noticed during the shootout was that the KS9800 occasionally displayed muted colors and it required a reset of the HDMI connection to get proper HDR/WCG performance out of it.

The Vizio Reference had the toughest time of any TV at the shootout. Its inability to play HDR10 content during the HDR/WCG comparison segment was a definite handicap. While it beat out the Samsung in the viewing angle vote, the RS65 scored the lowest of all the TVs in all other categories. As with the Samsung KS9800, I was surprised by the low scores given to the Vizio by the audience. I thought it kept up with its competitors and expected a tighter race between the FALD-LCDs.

One thing I felt was missing from the shootout was a true reference monitor to judge color. It's hard to judge color accuracy without a point of reference, and in that sense, the color accuracy category was a bit of a misnomer. People were voting on the image they thought looked best, not necessarily the one that was most accurate and reflected the artist's intent. Granted, it's possible for the most accurate color to be the most pleasing to look at, but without a reference monitor, there's no way of knowing. I did appreciate the inclusion of a calibrated Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, which looked great when showing BT.709 content with the lights dimmed.

HDR technology is still in its early stages, so there were some issues with setting up the TVs, including challenges in calibrating them for HDR playback. In fact, the TVs in the shootout were not calibrated for HDR; instead, they were in their default HDR modes. Furthermore, incompatibility with the HDR10 format (despite it being the standard used on Ultra HD Blu-rays) prevented the Vizio Reference from showing the same HDR demo footage as the other TVs.

One solution to this problem would have been to show the same movie from UHD Blu-ray on the LG, Samsung, and Sony TVs and streaming from Vudu on the Vizio. There are currently at least two movies available from both sources—Mad Max: Fury Road and In the Heart of the Sea. Of course, it would have been very difficult to synchronize playback, and it would have been HDR10 on three sets compared with Dolby Vision on the Vizio, so it's probably not an entirely fair comparison, but at least it would have been better than showing different clips on the Vizio.

I can see why the audience gave the "King of TV" nod to the LG G6 OLED. The shootout concentrated on BT.709 content and dark-room viewing, which are areas where OLEDs excel. It's a contest designed for people who buy top-tier TVs, have them professionally calibrated, and watch them with the lights out. In other words, the tiny fraction of TV viewers who happen to be hardcore AV enthusiasts.

I can't say I agree the OLED was superior to the Samsung for "overall day" viewing. I did not see that it offered better motion resolution or HDR/WCG performance than the LCDs. Nevertheless, the votes show that the majority came to a different conclusion. I look forward to seeing the calibration-measurement results for any insights they might offer regarding the discrepancy between my impressions and the attendees' votes.

Each of the four Value Electronics TV Shootouts I have attended offered a unique perspective into the capabilities of the top TVs on the market. It's truly remarkably to revisit the 2013 event and realize OLED, curved screens, and HDR-capable TVs were still on the horizon—and 3D was still a thing! Now the tables have turned, 3D has mostly fallen out of favor (though the LG and Sony do offer it), and HDR is considered the hot new technology that will get people to buy a new TV.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016, Home Theater Geeks will air an episode about shootout. Scott Wilkinson's guests will be Robert Zohn and Joel Silver. The show streams live from 2-3 PM (roughly) Pacific time (5-6 PM Eastern time), and you can watch it at live.twit.tv. Join the chat room by clicking on the "Live Chat" tab or go to irc.twit.tv where you can post questions the guests. Scott will be monitoring the chat room during the show and passing on relevant questions to the guests.

It's amazing how quickly TVs are evolving, and that includes both emissive and transmissive displays. This year featured the best flat-panel displays I've seen to date. They are unequivocally better than what came before, regardless of the brand. I'm looking forward to the future—who knows what four more years of progress will bring? I do know that it will only get better from here.

Mark Henninger

? Link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...cs-2016-tv-shootout-results.html#post44956666

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Europeans, Japanese and American videophiles weren't created all the same. Even the electricity runs @ different voltages, and the scanning.

This was also released today: http://www.areadvd.de/tests/special...onic-samsung-sony-wer-bietet-welche-vorzuege/
______

* Bonus: http://www.areadvd.de/tests/unsere-...nten-lautsprecher-soundbars-stehen-ganz-oben/
{Just use your 'translator' assistant.}

I never compared those four TVs together, but I remember to be much more impressed by the latest Samsung 4K LCD LED TV than by LG OLED not latest offering...overall.
Sony and Panasonic I care less for them. Sony is overcharging and is not a good supporter. Panasonic I'm done with them...forever.
This, is personal experience, nobody else but my own decision.

I posted before about the LG OLED being the winner here in North America, and Sony was second. I'll try to relocate...

After looking at the Samsung 65ks9800 again I liked the65ks9800 a little better than the 78ks9800 too! What was funny was they moved the LG OLED's so they were not right next to the Samsung 65ks9800 like they were when I was at Best Buy last time!:D

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The full article from Mark:

Value Electronics 2016 TV Shootout Results
At CE Week 2016, four TVs—one OLED and three FALD-LCDs—were lined up next to each other to see which could garner the highest vote tally from an audience of enthusiasts. The votes are in—about 80 in all—and the 2016 Value Electronics TV Shootout "King of TV" is the LG OLED65G6P, the company's flagship 65" HDR-capable OLED display.

Ultimately, the G6 OLED ($8000 MSRP) won in every voting category except for "overall day," and did so by a fairly wide margin. The G6 is an emissive display, meaning each pixel generates its own light and is independently dimmable—all the way down to pure black. Meanwhile, the three LCD competitors—Sony's XBR-75X940D ($6000 MSRP), Samsung's UN78KS9800 ($10,000 MSRP), and Vizio's RS65-B2 ($6000 MSRP) all featured FALD (full-array local-dimming) LED backlighting and VA (vertical alignment) panels. VA LCDs are known for their high contrast and deeper blacks when compared to IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panels, but they have a narrower viewing cone in which colors and contrast are optimal.

The event was expertly presented by Joel Silver, the founder of ISF (Image Science Foundation). The very notion that you can calibrate a consumer TV is Joel's idea, and his knowledge on the topic is both broad and deep. It was amazing to see Joel get through four hours of often-technical explanations regarding video technologies with such ease.

Joel took the audience through all the image-quality parameters that were judged in the shootout. He encouraged people to stand up and scrutinize the TVs, which is vitally important when judging the image quality of TVs with limited optimal viewing angles.

Attendees at the shootout voted on seven picture quality-related categories: black quality, perceived contrast, color accuracy, moving resolution, off-axis performance, screen uniformity, and HDR/WCG (high dynamic range/wide color gamut). Additionally, they voted on the more general "overall day" and "overall night" categories. It's worth noting that HDR/WCG only accounted for 11 percent of the total vote, even though it's a major selling point of all the contenders.

When it comes to UHD/4K resolution versus HDR with WCG, Joel stressed that higher dynamic range and wider color gamut are much more obvious improvements to viewers than the leap to 8-megapixel resolution. To support the claim, he pointing out tests performed by ISF that reveal the typical resolution of a commercial 35mm film print intended for commercial use is equivalent to just one megapixel. (How was that determined? A 35mm print of a resolution test pattern was created as any movie release print would be made—it was the fourth generation from the original camera negative—and shown to groups of experts at a seating distance of 1.5 picture heights from the screen in six different theaters around the country. The viewers were asked to identify the finest resolution they could discern in the pattern, which corresponded to about one megapixel.)

This was the first year that UHD footage with HDR and WCG in the voting process. However, the voting on these capabilities was confined to one category out of nine. I understand that HDR footage is still a bit hard to come by, but there's more and more of it every day, and I would have liked to see HDR and WCG separated into two categories.

The final overall scores for the four TVs were as follows:

First place: LG G6 (8.9)
Second Place: Sony X940D (8.0)
Third Place: Samsung KS9800 (7.3)
Fourth Place: Vizio RS65-B2 (6.9)

Here are the votes by category ?

Unlike years past, the ballots from professional reviewers, calibrators, and other industry pros were not tabulated separately from the general audience. Most of the attendees were deemed to be very sophisticated—many were active AVS members—so it was decided to tabulate all ballots together.

This marks the third consecutive year that OLED has taken the "King of TV" crown. OLED's wide viewing angles and ultra-deep blacks are its strong suits, and in a dark room, the extreme contrast ratio it achieves can be seductive—even if it comes at the cost of losing some shadow-detail rendition. The critical and consumer reception of OLED has been tremendous, so its victory in this competition does not come as a surprise.

Sony's X940D took second place in the shootout. It was number one in the "overall day" category, and scored above the other two FALD-LCD displays in every category. Although only available in one size, it is a home theater-centric flat display that shows the potential of FALD-LCD combined with HDR with WCG.

Samsung's KS9800 came in third place and garnered lower scores than both the LG and the Sony in every single category. This result came as a significant surprise to me. I thought it was more than competitive in several voting categories, but the audience clearly saw things differently.

I noticed the KS9800 featured in the shootout had a dark softball-sized circular splotch in the screen that is potentially indicative of a faulty LED in the FALD array. Numerous comments were made about its visibility in actual content and how that affected votes.

I've seen a few KS9800s over the past month or so, and this is the first time I have seen such an obvious flaw in one. It makes me wonder if there was a defective LED in the backlight array given the size and shape of the defect. Another thing I noticed during the shootout was that the KS9800 occasionally displayed muted colors and it required a reset of the HDMI connection to get proper HDR/WCG performance out of it.

The Vizio Reference had the toughest time of any TV at the shootout. Its inability to play HDR10 content during the HDR/WCG comparison segment was a definite handicap. While it beat out the Samsung in the viewing angle vote, the RS65 scored the lowest of all the TVs in all other categories. As with the Samsung KS9800, I was surprised by the low scores given to the Vizio by the audience. I thought it kept up with its competitors and expected a tighter race between the FALD-LCDs.

One thing I felt was missing from the shootout was a true reference monitor to judge color. It's hard to judge color accuracy without a point of reference, and in that sense, the color accuracy category was a bit of a misnomer. People were voting on the image they thought looked best, not necessarily the one that was most accurate and reflected the artist's intent. Granted, it's possible for the most accurate color to be the most pleasing to look at, but without a reference monitor, there's no way of knowing. I did appreciate the inclusion of a calibrated Pioneer Kuro plasma TV, which looked great when showing BT.709 content with the lights dimmed.

HDR technology is still in its early stages, so there were some issues with setting up the TVs, including challenges in calibrating them for HDR playback. In fact, the TVs in the shootout were not calibrated for HDR; instead, they were in their default HDR modes. Furthermore, incompatibility with the HDR10 format (despite it being the standard used on Ultra HD Blu-rays) prevented the Vizio Reference from showing the same HDR demo footage as the other TVs.

One solution to this problem would have been to show the same movie from UHD Blu-ray on the LG, Samsung, and Sony TVs and streaming from Vudu on the Vizio. There are currently at least two movies available from both sources—Mad Max: Fury Road and In the Heart of the Sea. Of course, it would have been very difficult to synchronize playback, and it would have been HDR10 on three sets compared with Dolby Vision on the Vizio, so it's probably not an entirely fair comparison, but at least it would have been better than showing different clips on the Vizio.

I can see why the audience gave the "King of TV" nod to the LG G6 OLED. The shootout concentrated on BT.709 content and dark-room viewing, which are areas where OLEDs excel. It's a contest designed for people who buy top-tier TVs, have them professionally calibrated, and watch them with the lights out. In other words, the tiny fraction of TV viewers who happen to be hardcore AV enthusiasts.

I can't say I agree the OLED was superior to the Samsung for "overall day" viewing. I did not see that it offered better motion resolution or HDR/WCG performance than the LCDs. Nevertheless, the votes show that the majority came to a different conclusion. I look forward to seeing the calibration-measurement results for any insights they might offer regarding the discrepancy between my impressions and the attendees' votes.

Each of the four Value Electronics TV Shootouts I have attended offered a unique perspective into the capabilities of the top TVs on the market. It's truly remarkably to revisit the 2013 event and realize OLED, curved screens, and HDR-capable TVs were still on the horizon—and 3D was still a thing! Now the tables have turned, 3D has mostly fallen out of favor (though the LG and Sony do offer it), and HDR is considered the hot new technology that will get people to buy a new TV.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016, Home Theater Geeks will air an episode about shootout. Scott Wilkinson's guests will be Robert Zohn and Joel Silver. The show streams live from 2-3 PM (roughly) Pacific time (5-6 PM Eastern time), and you can watch it at live.twit.tv. Join the chat room by clicking on the "Live Chat" tab or go to irc.twit.tv where you can post questions the guests. Scott will be monitoring the chat room during the show and passing on relevant questions to the guests.

It's amazing how quickly TVs are evolving, and that includes both emissive and transmissive displays. This year featured the best flat-panel displays I've seen to date. They are unequivocally better than what came before, regardless of the brand. I'm looking forward to the future—who knows what four more years of progress will bring? I do know that it will only get better from here.

Mark Henninger

? Link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...cs-2016-tv-shootout-results.html#post44956666

Something was wrong with the Samsung KS9800 they had in that shoot-out...it had a bad panel! That's why it did not do very good in that shoot-out!;)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
That is very possible. There was clearly an issue with shadows on the right side and the fact that it kept dropping out if HDR mode for no apparent reason.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mmmm...Samsung with a bad panel; that wouldn't be the first time.

By the way, I own a Samsung plasma TV since 2011, and just recently I noticed that the black bar on top is burned in into a full screen picture.
I watched (revisited) In the Heart of the Sea in 3D, and right from the beginning, under water, there she was a faint line @ top from previous widescreen Blu-rays I watched.

Video
Codec: MPEG-4 MVC (12.00 Mbps)
Resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1
Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

I only use my TV for strictly Blu-rays @ 99.88%; no cable no nothing else except couple DVDs per year, @ most.
So after five years plasma do get image retention, the black bars for sure, and now they are constant.
It's time to upgrade, with LG OLED 4K or Samsung LED 4K? ...Which one will last five years before I noticed dead pixels, colors fading, black levels becoming grey, image retention, limited angle, poor HDR, yellows losing their brightness, greens becoming lime, reds darkening and looking like bloody wine, ....?

There are no TVs perfect, and expect nothing less tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. Everything become obsolete faster and quicker since we hit the year 2000 and going forward.
I find life more relaxing living with all its imperfections than trying to get the ultimate best. Use the toys for their intended purpose in the moment...picture and sound.
I have few dead pixels in 3D, but I learned to live with it, now I'll learn to live with image retention, or just buy another TV with other anomalies that with time will develop and that I will discover.

Lol, OLED was almost ruling the world for a second, then some folks had a vision, and nobody is talking about KUROS (Pioneer) 4K TVs. :D ...And no Kuro 3D either.

I have a question for the expert videophiles here: What is more immersing, 4K or 3D, well done?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As I understand it, 4K is not achievable with plasma TVs. Since plasma is "obsolete", it doesn't much matter. 3D has been struggling in the marketplace, and many new TVs are offering 4K resolution and HDR without any mention of 3D. I saw a few HDR demos recently, and am sincerely impressed.

Lee

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Let's stop this 3D nonsense. It was a gimmick to sell TVs, and it didn't work. Enough already. Until holographic projection is available there will be no 3D.

Now, this is what TV manufacturers need to make. Displays with no tuners or audio circuitry. All I want from these big screen monitors is to display a Blue Ray. No audio, and no tuner needed. Leave the junk for the audio illiterate, and give me a quality display. I will buy the external audio gear, and a tuner if I get really bored.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, plasma is limited to only 1080p (it is an obsolete technology, extinct - they don't make plasma TVs anymore).
I was simply mentioning (btw)...regarding it's image retention.

As for 3D, UHD (4K) TVs don't do 3D with 4K content; only with 1080p material and on the higher UHD TV models. 3D is getting less and less support, but it is still alive big time...@ the theaters and from some Hollywood movie studios. Blu-ray 3Ds are realeased almost every week, and there is a fair list that goes up till year 2020.
Star Wars - VII, VIII and IX I believe will come in 3D on Blu. ...Avatar 2, 3 and 4. ...I just bought Batman v Superman in 3D (it also comes in 4K), and from overseas you can get both the 3D and 4K disc versions in the same package.

The market wants to go UHD/4K, that's where the money is for the manufacturers and Hollywood studios.
But the art of cinema is still in black and white, and in 3D. IMHO ...And also in HDR and Dolby Vision.

Samsung is strong in 4K. And their top tiers LED TVs are still doing 3D (2K/1080p).
...Same with LG top OLED 4K TVs. And with 4K TVs, and passive 3D from them; we now have full 1080p 3D per each eye. So that's a 3D advancement.
And Sony top 4K TVs, still retaining the 3D feature.

4K is cool, 4K is new, 3D is cool, 3D is older but not dead. I saw 4K, I saw 3D...and I asked what is the more immersive cinema experience between them.
I'm very curious.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Let's stop this 3D nonsense. It was a gimmick to sell TVs, and it didn't work. Enough already. Until holographic projection is available there will be no 3D.

Now, this is what TV manufacturers need to make. Displays with no tuners or audio circuitry. All I want from these big screen monitors is to display a Blue Ray. No audio, and no tuner needed. Leave the junk for the audio illiterate, and give me a quality display. I will buy the external audio gear, and a tuner if I get really bored.

Yes, let's stop this 3D nonsense. It's just a gimmick to give people bad headaches anyway. :D
Only the people who don't know better still appreciate 3D.

New TVs come with a separate connection box, the TVs are just too thin to include the connectors. As for tuners in TVs I never use them...are they in 3D? :D
And where do they put the speakers on them 2 to 4mm thin TVs?

Last, Blu-ray ... without an "e" :D
_____

Do you want video measurements from your next TV purchase?

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Made the mistake of seeing the new Star Trek film in 3D at the theater. It wil be the LAST 3D film I will ever watch. They are terrible to watch. IMHO.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My 9.5 year old Pioneer Kuro died yesterday, so after seeing LG oled vs Sony xbr today, my money is going to LG. Unless you're a gamer, don't think the decision is tough.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
My 9.5 year old Pioneer Kuro died yesterday, so after seeing LG oled vs Sony xbr today, my money is going to LG. Unless you're a gamer, don't think the decision is tough.

You can also check out the all new Sony Z Series...if it is on the market yet;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Made the mistake of seeing the new Star Trek film in 3D at the theater. It wil be the LAST 3D film I will ever watch. They are terrible to watch. IMHO.

IMAX 3D or Standard 3D?

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1537540/to-3d-or-not-to-3d-buy-the-right-star-trek-beyond-ticket ? Extensive 3D evaluation. IMAX 3D = Best.
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-movie-reviews/ ? Regular 2D (less immersive movie experience).

Not every theater were created equal. Yesterday's main issues still remain today: The vast majority of theaters have no picture and sound calibration, and even less in 3D.
Like @ my local 3D theater for example: I much prefer 3D @ home. The 3D picture is of much higher quality, and the audio is also calibrated proportionally...not blown up speakers, no distortion, no unbalanced and over exaggerated bass, no sound irritation and no picture deformation/discoloration.
And that theater is no small peanuts, but it just doesn't cut it. Real IMAX 3D is better, not the fake one, and not the standard 3D one.
I'll wait for it on Blu, in (((3D))). 'Star Trek' is not doing much for my mojo...never did.
I know that there are many fans who are in deep star love, true Trek's fans with figurines and spacehips in their bedrooms, but in my own bedroom the figurines are the comic ones...Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. :b It's just the way it is, beyond analysis beyond reason...just a natural thing of preference that grew with me since I was little tiny boy...Roadrunner and gang.

Maybe your local 3D theater needs a new light bulb in their projector...most do? What kind of 3D glasses are they supplying you with? Is it a Real 3D theater, IMAX 3D theater, what type of 3D? Do you know the model and brand of their 3D front projector?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

You can also check out the all new Sony Z Series...if it is on the market yet;)

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/movies/best
http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

? http://www.digitaltrends.com/best-tvs/
? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372085,00.asp
? http://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-styl...vs-tested-by-consumer-reports.html/?a=viewall

? http://www.techradar.com/news/television/best-tv-2013-what-tv-should-you-buy-this-year-709255/2
_______

- LG UHD OLED is top of most people's list, and Samsung UHD LCD LED is number 2.
- Price? OLED is more expensive.
- Blacks (a la Kuro)? I'd say LG 4K OLED.
- Top 4K picture quality (but not perfect yet)? I'd say LG 4K OLED.
- Best value proportional to great picture quality and features? Samsung 4K LED.
- Sony? Sony has issues with quality control, etc.
- Panasonic? I remember Technics sound systems to go with them, and manipulating the black level (on a timer), plus sour experience with service support...
- Vizio? Great bathroom TVs, or for the kids in their tree house. Inexpensive.

:b Those are just few of the latest links for 2016, and my personal opinion in some of those comments. Yours might differ, just like speakers in your own room's acoustics.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I have a question for the expert videophiles here: What is more immersing, 4K or 3D, well done?

Haven't yet tried, but there are 4K screens which also do 3D, although you'll probably be hard pressed to find 4K 3D material as studios don't seem too keen on these - you'd be re-using your Blu-Ray 1080p 3D content upscaled in that case.

The thing with upscaling Blu-Ray is that depending on the source material and up-scaling algorithms things can look a little 'patchy' in places, at least to me sitting up close it looks that way on a 4K TV which isn't HDR equipped. It could be another story with HDR, assuming the upscaling process use HDR (hey and possibly WCG) to make a better up-scaled image.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing