How does one fix Schizophrenic, intermittent ground loop?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Was hanging out at a buddy’s house this weekend - watching sports on TV and listening to music from the same system.

Unfortunately, his system has a very interesting occurrence with what seems like an unpredictable, intermittent ground loop. His right channel occasionally starts buzzing when playing music - but then it goes away – on its own, without touching or unplugging anything.

Furthermore, despite an annoying high pitched sound while playing music, his crazy system sounds just fine when the preamp is flipped to tv. So we were watching sports and it was all cool. … Then flip the switch on the preamp to the 2 channel audio system, and the right channel buzzes. Flip back to TV and no buzz!!!??? Does anyone understand why that is?

His cables are all messy, and all is plugged into 3 dedicated lines. We were hanging out and chatting, and did not try to plug and unplug.

We went to lunch for a couple of hours, and the buzz on the 2 channel system went away. But he let me know that late at night it came back again. Does anyone understand what is happening?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Caesar. Could it be caused from something like a fridge, freezer, fan (or old SS dimmer attached to said fan), fluorescent light fixture, sump pump or HVAC system that turns on intermittently? Also sounds like he may have an issue with his pre. Does he have one to swap out and check to see if this is the case?

Tom

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hello, Caesar. Could it be caused from something like a fridge, freezer, fan (or old SS dimmer attached to said fan), fluorescent light fixture, sump pump or HVAC system that turns on intermittently? Also sounds like he may have an issue with his pre. Does he have one to swap out and check to see if this is the case?

Tom

Thank you. I'll ping him. But are you suggesting that when a large appliance goes on, it causes that hum in his right channel? The strange thing is that same channel works just fine with the TV going, but wigs out when switching to 2-channel.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you. I'll ping him. But are you suggesting that when a large appliance goes on, it causes that hum in his right channel? The strange thing is that same channel works just fine with the TV going, but wigs out when switching to 2-channel.

Electrical appliances injecting some leakage current in the ground line can cause this effect. Does your friend own monoblock amplifiers?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I would suggest first swapping out the pre before anything else. If this doesn't do the trick, then your friend may be looking at multiple issues.

Tom

caesar

May 30, 2010
I would suggest first swapping out the pre before anything else. If this doesn't do the trick, then your friend may be looking at multiple issues.

Tom

Thank you. By swapping out, do you mean getting another unit into the system, or plugging the current one into a different outlet?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Another known working unit into the system.

Tom

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I've had such things happen when a solid state part was on its way out - a complex chip with much internal circuitry had developed a poor connection, which, depending upon everything, would be fine, or start playing up. Isolating the part and giving a vigorous tap - the shock treatment - might help, or make things worse. The only real solution here is obviously to replace the part, if it can be identified and is available - as treitz3 suggests, first identify the faulty component.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Have him disconnect the pre-input to the cable box and see if it goes away.

+1 here. Cable boxes are a major source of noise, and to have them anywhere near the system is usually a problem. There are some "hum buster" gizmos that are supposed to solve the problem...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, thank you for the replies. I think what happened is that my friends wife came home and turned on the washing machine, which sits on the same side of the breaker box as his dedicated lines..... I'll also mention disconnecting cable.

Does anyone have a sense of why only the right channel was affected? Thank you again.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Was hanging out at a buddy’s house this weekend - watching sports on TV and listening to music from the same system.

Unfortunately, his system has a very interesting occurrence with what seems like an unpredictable, intermittent ground loop. His right channel occasionally starts buzzing when playing music - but then it goes away – on its own, without touching or unplugging anything.

Furthermore, despite an annoying high pitched sound while playing music, his crazy system sounds just fine when the preamp is flipped to tv. So we were watching sports and it was all cool. … Then flip the switch on the preamp to the 2 channel audio system, and the right channel buzzes. Flip back to TV and no buzz!!!??? Does anyone understand why that is?

His cables are all messy, and all is plugged into 3 dedicated lines. We were hanging out and chatting, and did not try to plug and unplug.

We went to lunch for a couple of hours, and the buzz on the 2 channel system went away. But he let me know that late at night it came back again. Does anyone understand what is happening?

You mean after all these years people still ground their components? :)

There are several things to consider:

1. Lifting the ground.
2. Superior line conditioning.
3. Dedicated circuits at the service panel should all be on the same phase / leg.
4. Loose connections.
5. All wiring / cables should be kept separate (not touching) from other wires / cables.
6. Faulty component.

Any combination of the above could be the culprit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing