blown speakers in home theatre system

stevehk

Jul 22, 2016
I moved to Hong Kong, and brought my home theatre system with me. The system is a Denon AVR X3000 surround sound amp, and Kef speakers for all but the two floor standing main speakers. Those were a pair of Polk Audio RT16s from my prior music system, that are probably as old as many of this forum's contributors, I expect!! The system survived the move, except the movers destroyed the Polk Audio speakers (which people old enough to know them seem to revere).

Anyway, I have to replace them. I hired an a/v guy to help, since i'm new to hk and he says to go with a pair of "Revel F12" as the main speakers replacing the Polks, and that I should also replace the center speaker to match them with a Revel C12.

I haven't heard about the Revels, but I read online that (1) they are well regarded, but (2) have been around for 10 years. He will charge me US$1200 for the F12s and US$600 for the C12. I asked him why he recommending such dated speakers, and his reply was "still the best choice when you consider price and performance".

Do I go with his recommendation? Keep in mind things are probably a bit more pricey here - I'm less focused on the absolute number than having a good system. I am the definition of a novice, so would love to hear your views. I guess buying really top speakers would be a waste of money with the Denon amp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing