Sonus Faber Electa Amator I & II

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
What about a dedicated tread for these two beauties. I have the Sonus Faber Electa Amator II myself, and they are so thight and sound so great.

Specification Sonus Faber Electa Amator I: Two-way dynamic ported minimonitor. Drive-units: 1" soft-dome tweeter, 7"-cone long-throw midrange/woofer. Crossover: 2.8kHz, 6dB/octave slopes. Frequency response: 42Hz-20kHz, ±3dB.

Specification Sonus Faber Electa Amator II: 14 liter two-way with passive radiator. Tweeter, 20mm silk dome high-resolution type. Mid-Woofer, 180mm high-performance, low distortion driver. Copper ring system voice coil. Paper carbonium cone. Low Bass, 35Hz tuned, passive radiator with special high density paper cone. Crossover, 2.5kHz first order attenuated. Sensitivity, 88 dB/m/W. Impedance, 8 ohms nominal. Power Consumption, 30 to 200 W. Frequency Response, 35Hz to 20kHz. Cabinet, 23 individual struts of solid walnut for resonance control. Dimensions(w x d x h), 22.5 x 38.5 x 38 cm. Weight, 13kg per side. Stand weight 22.5kg per side.

Review Sonus Faber Electa Amator I: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/874/#YeyO2wZtVTctRHXd.97

Review Sonus Faber Electa Amator II: The Sonus Faber Electa Amator 2 is a pair of award winning speakers for the European High-End Audio of the year '98-'99. The combination of walnut and leather won over as the choice of many audiophiles. The standard of craftsmanship of hand made units cannot be undervalued in the days of mass production. The look and build quality of the Sonus Faber Electa Amator 2 are first-rate, especially when supported with the compatible stands. The pleasing aesthetics of fit and finish of the woodwork is an excellent piece of a conversation starter. The quality of sound matches well with its attractive appearance to become one of the most sought after speakers in the market.

One thing great about these Italian Sonus Faber speakers are their ability to portray music with a sensual airy ambience. Sonus Faber speakers may not have the best treble, may not have the best midrange, may not have the best bass and may not even be the most detailed. But it is its ability to create music with heart and soul that sets itself apart. In general, American speakers perform with focus of rhythm, punch and dynamics. British speakers usually have a more pronounced fuller midrange which makes them especially good in vocals and jazz. For Italian speakers, they focus on the highs which brings out the heart and soul of string instruments. Most Sonus Faber users spend alot of their time listening to instrumental and orchestral music. Violin and string instruments sound exceptionally pleasing on Sonus Faber speakers. In fact, some of the Sonus Faber products are named after some of the greatest violinmakers of the past - Guarnieri, Amati and Stradivari.

The Sonus Faber Electa Amator 2 is astonishingly musical and detailed, bold yet refined. The Amator 2 has a more open nature than the Amator 1 which can be even more of an asset if matched right. The sound is also very natural with total transparency and outstanding resolution, even when playing demanding music. It gives life when listening to every kind of music, and absolutely shine with string instruments, piano as well as vocals. Even more impressive is the peerless conveyance of massed strings of violins, which most expensive speakers fail to deliver. It has deep bass, great control and without distortion. The midrange is rich, palpable and articulate. The higher treble is as clean as a whistle, and do not sound shrill or overly bright but controlled and smooth. The soundstage is wide and deep with excellent 3D imaging. They are transparent across the range, sounding real and not synthetic. The Sonus Faber Electa Amator 2 is an example of excellence in the world of hifi sound reproduction. Source: listeninn.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The SF Amator's are a great little speaker. They were a little under-rated when new, but do have a pretty good following today. If I were in the market for a small bedroom system, they would be on my short list. The stands are also interesting, more aesthetic than tech, but I'm sure they work well.
As to the deep bass...not sure i agree with the review, but what they have is clean and pretty well resolved.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned both the Sonus Faber Electa Amator I & II, even simultaneously and fully agree with you - they are great speakers.

However, as soon as we switch to preference I must state that I still own the Sonus Faber Amator I - although the II is more expended in the bass, the tweeter of the Amator I, the famous Dynaudio Esotar MD330 is IMHO in a difference league from the tweeter used in the Amator II. It is exactly the same tweeter that was used in the Extrema's. Perhaps the Amator II behaves better, but the original sound balance is still my choice, particularly with high quality tube amplifiers.

People loving the Amator's should read the translation of the Krakow Sonic Society - Meeting No. 91 report involving the DCS Vivaldi audition in Positive Feedback http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue71/krakow_zurek.htm

Quoting:
"What's more, it was the best sound we'd ever heard, period. These are big words, I know, but I cannot find any other adjective to describe our experience. Even assuming, without any prior audition, that the very price of dCS and its accompanying "accessories" warrants such a statement, it would be contradicted by the small stand mount speakers and low power amplifier at Janusz's (the Sonus faber Electa Amator I and the Ancient Audio Silver Grand Mono, respectively). However, after listening to a few albums, I saw Raveen walking around the Sonus fabers and muttering something under his breath. I could have sworn it was something like, "that's f…ing impossible", if I hadn't known him to be a most cultured man. But internally, he must have communicated something similar, since he said himself that he'd never experienced something like that. And he was shaking his head exactly the same way and at the same pace as John Zurek from Positive-Feedback had done a month earlier, walking around the same speakers (see HERE). Janusz's amplifier from Ancient Audio never, ever sounded this way. There was no usual audiophile talk about various sonic aspects and how they were rated. Instead, we simply talked whether the church venue was larger or smaller, or whether the vocalist was closer or further from us."

I already own the speaker, I have now an excuse to order the DCS Vivaldi ... :D

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
I have owned both the Sonus Faber Electa Amator I & II, even simultaneously and fully agree with you - they are great speakers.

However, as soon as we switch to preference I must state that I still own the Sonus Faber Amator I - although the II is more expended in the bass, the tweeter of the Amator I, the famous Dynaudio Esotar MD330 is IMHO in a difference league from the tweeter used in the Amator II. It is exactly the same tweeter that was used in the Extrema's. Perhaps the Amator II behaves better, but the original sound balance is still my choice, particularly with high quality tube amplifiers.

People loving the Amator's should read the translation of the Krakow Sonic Society - Meeting No. 91 report involving the DCS Vivaldi audition in Positive Feedback http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue71/krakow_zurek.htm

Quoting:
"What's more, it was the best sound we'd ever heard, period. These are big words, I know, but I cannot find any other adjective to describe our experience. Even assuming, without any prior audition, that the very price of dCS and its accompanying "accessories" warrants such a statement, it would be contradicted by the small stand mount speakers and low power amplifier at Janusz's (the Sonus faber Electa Amator I and the Ancient Audio Silver Grand Mono, respectively). However, after listening to a few albums, I saw Raveen walking around the Sonus fabers and muttering something under his breath. I could have sworn it was something like, "that's f…ing impossible", if I hadn't known him to be a most cultured man. But internally, he must have communicated something similar, since he said himself that he'd never experienced something like that. And he was shaking his head exactly the same way and at the same pace as John Zurek from Positive-Feedback had done a month earlier, walking around the same speakers (see HERE). Janusz's amplifier from Ancient Audio never, ever sounded this way. There was no usual audiophile talk about various sonic aspects and how they were rated. Instead, we simply talked whether the church venue was larger or smaller, or whether the vocalist was closer or further from us."

Yeah i heard about the esotar tweeter in the EA II. What amplifier did you use with the Electa Amator I?
I think my burmester 082 have perfect control of it, and they are filling eachother out good. Since the amp is just 100w in 8 ohm and AE II recommended amp was 30-200w i gave it a try, cus i dont need a speaker that can handle much more. And i got a big smile on my face when i heard them first time together, and smile just gets bigger everyday.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yeah i heard about the esotar tweeter in the EA II. What amplifier did you use with the Electa Amator I? (...)

Too many! :D From the Krell's original KSA100 to Devialet, including Jeff Rowland M3. Perhaps the long lived was the conrad johnson MV125 amplifier - PV9 preamplifier - a great sound on the EA I. Currently being connected to a Musica Sonusfaber amplifier.

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
Too many! :D From the Krell's original KSA100 to Devialet, including Jeff Rowland M3. Perhaps the long lived was the conrad johnson MV125 amplifier - PV9 preamplifier - a great sound on the EA I. Currently being connected to a Musica Sonusfaber amplifier.

Ok lol you've tested them on a lot of equipment man im impressed. The longest lived was a tube amp right.. Looks awesome the musica, must look really good with that on those AE I.
A highfi store can survive on you alone hehe

Last edited:

crach

Aug 16, 2016

I'm thinking about switching to tubes like the Leben CS300 for my EAII. It's only 14 watts, high quality though. Would that be sufficient in a small space??

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
I'm thinking about switching to tubes like the Leben CS300 for my EAII. It's only 14 watts, high quality though. Would that be sufficient in a small space??

Couldnt it be too small, says minimum amp for the EA II is 30 watts..

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
People say that amp wattage and speaker wattage is best to match up, but is it so. What are the chances my 100 watts burmester 082 can burn on my sonus faber electa amator II 200 watts max speakers?
Isnt it good to have a little less powerfull amp on speakers, since amplifier can have for all i know peak wattage of 200 watts. Or maybe amps dont have peaks..

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
People say that amp wattage and speaker wattage is best to match up, but is it so. What are the chances my 100 watts burmester 082 can burn on my sonus faber electa amator II 200 watts max speakers?
Isnt it good to have a little less powerfull amp on speakers, since amplifier can have for all i know peak wattage of 200 watts. Or maybe amps dont have peaks..

I use a 250 watt/ ch ss amp or a 60 watt/ ch tube amp with my Guarneri's. The ss amp is running about the same volume on my preamp as the tube amp.... There are many variables in driving speakers. Not all of them break down to watts/ ch.

kaeksen

Jun 11, 2016
Norway
I use a 250 watt/ ch ss amp or a 60 watt/ ch tube amp with my Guarneri's. The ss amp is running about the same volume on my preamp as the tube amp.... There are many variables in driving speakers. Not all of them break down to watts/ ch.

Yeah unfortunatly there is so many factors that we soon need high end nerd academy to understand it all :D

Anerol

Sep 29, 2012
Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland

Quoting:

Well, let me throw in my 50 cents.

First I came across the Electa Amator I I bought it for a friend. This was like 15 years ago or so. I regretted it in as much as I didn't keep them for me. In the interim I have owned the Amati Homage and the Guarneri Homage. I regret that I don't have these anymore too but for different reasons. I come back to that later. I still own a pair of Sonus Faber Minima FM2s.

A year ago or so, my 14 years of waiting found an end since I found a prestige pair of Electa Amator I's with stands again and I bought them immediately. In terms of drivers I agree what was said before. The Dynaudio Esotar 330 is probably still today one of the best tweeters around. I have heard it more than 25 years ago for the first time and still love it's sound. I have btw two more pairs of small speakers with the Esotar tweeter in the basement.

Coming back to the EAs I had a friend over a few days ago who listens to a pair of Amati Futuras with a pair of Devialet 900's. He left my house impressed, particularly for the bass response of these speakers. So what did I do...

Well maybe some of you think of this as a completely wrong way to go but I take that risk. I set idle the internal crossover of the speakers and turned them into active mode. Using an Accuphase DG-58 digital voicing tool and an Accuphase DF-55 digital active filter I run the signal to a pair of Accuphase A-46s into the Electa Amators. The result, my personal audiophile heaven.

Don't get me wrong please,I still love the EAs as they were made by Franco. However, and now I come back to why I don't have the Amatis and the Guarneris anymore, I have for too long suffered from room anomalies. Since I use the DG tool I have overcome these problems since the unit allows for compensation hereof to a significant degree. When I was younger I used to built my speakers myself. A few notions are left. The most important, don't ask a speaker to deliver what it can't do. In clear words don't use the DG to press a low end frequency of around 20hz from a comparatively small speaker. The next step than was to take everything active and replace the internal crossover. Many efforts have been made to overcome problems of passive elements in the filters. Huge inductance and capacitors of all horizons. The simple truth remains the best capacitor is no capacitor. AND, the DF filter allows you to time align your newly created active speaker. Believe me that a proper time alignment (or phase, if you wish) is key for any high quality Hifi system but rarely exists.

What is different now. There is a proper reproduction, measured at the sweet listening spot, of the frequency band within the limits of this speaker. The timing of the reproduction of the two drivers is aligned in the time domain. The sound, clear, airy, substantial bass down to 40 Hz, sound staging with significant depth .... and all that from a very old speaker (with still today top notch drivers).

Coming back to the question asked I the very beginning, EA I or II. Hmmmm, I think you know by now where my heart sits. I had to wait many years to find my pair of EA Is and don't give them away anymore. I'd rather buy a second pair if I could. Why the I, because of the Esotar tweeter. In fact I have never been able to listen to the EA IIs. I'd love too.

Why all this, I'd like to encourage everybody reading this and having taken fire to reach out for a pair of EAs while being assured that you can travel a long journey with them and they with you. I am pretty sure this applies also to the EA IIs.

and to the Amati Homage and the Guarneri Homage too, but in a different way

Reactions: Elberoth

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing