Recommendations for Dining And Shopping in Hong Kong

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Wan Chai a few times. The Chinese and Italian restaurants there are good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sadly due to a family dispute Yung Kee is no more :(

Let's go to Mott 32 Stevie. Jadis, Gary, you game? Gotta try the siomai with a soft steamed quail egg inside with a black truffle topping. K-I-L-L-E-R! Also the best steamed grouper I've tried anywhere so far. The smoked duck which it is famous for was a let down unfortunately. Ho Tung is indeed a treat. Northern chinese fare not the native Cantonese. The crispy lamb is a must. For Japanese fusion we should go to Zuma in Landmark.

I don't know if we'll be able to get into Four Season's dimsum restaurant. It's one of those book a month in advance affairs. We stayed at Four Seasons last year and still couldn't get a table.

Shopping is a bit tricky since prices are comparable if not more expensive than the continental US. For American and European high fashion brands, NYC is the place for widest selection and NJ for the ultimate outlet thing. For sports wear, Portland, Oregon. HK used to be the place to go for photography but e-commerce has made them more expensive than the US. I guess that leaves watches and jewelry where HK may still be the best place to pick up a premium timepiece or something special for the missus. A great place for woman's best friend. I always wondered why they get diamonds while we guys get dogs. LOL! High quality gems with great color and low inclusions at very good prices.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Let's go to Mott 32 Stevie. Jadis, Gary, you game? Gotta try the siomai with a soft steamed quail egg inside with a black truffle topping. K-I-L-L-E-R! Also the best steamed grouper I've tried anywhere so far. The smoked duck which it is famous for was a let down unfortunately. Ho Tung is indeed a treat. Northern chinese fare not the native Cantonese. The crispy lamb is a must. For Japanese fusion we should go to Zuma in Landmark.

I don't know if we'll be able to get into Four Season's dimsum restaurant. It's one of those book a month in advance affairs. We stayed at Four Seasons last year and still couldn't get a table.

Shopping is a bit tricky since prices are comparable if not more expensive than the continental US. For American and European high fashion brands, NYC is the place for widest selection and NJ for the ultimate outlet thing. For sports wear, Portland, Oregon. HK used to be the place to go for photography but e-commerce has made them more expensive than the US. I guess that leaves watches and jewelry where HK may still be the best place to pick up a premium timepiece or something special for the missus. A great place for woman's best friend. I always wondered why they get diamonds while we guys get dogs. LOL! High quality gems with great color and low inclusions at very good prices.

Jack,

Am game. Sounds good. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

I'm game!!

I'll need to introduce you the new owner of Techdas and CH Precision (and Genesis) distributor in Hong Kong and China.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Jack,

Am game. Sounds good. :)

I'm in as well Jack

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Have fun, guys! I must admit, I've never considered going to Hong Kong before... but now you have piqued my curiosity...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have had amazing food in HK the few times I have been there. I also suffered from some of the hottest, most humid weather possible in summer. And that is coming from someone who lived in Florida. It was harder on us as we had to wear suits for business meetings and such but still, it is extremely hot during most of the day.

I am sure good food, music and company would compensate though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Keith and I will be in Central by around 9PM Thursday guys :) Raf D will be arriving around the same time as Jadis. They might be on the same plane but AFAIK haven't met yet.

So count for Mott is Steve, Cathy, Gary, Phil, Jack, Keith, Raf, and maybe Joe L? Hey Gary now we can do some serious ordering! Hehehehehe!!!!!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Jockey Club had some of the best food in HK many years ago when i was there. Their 'ham yu kai lap chow fan'...salted fish chicken fried rice was the stuff of legend.

My father-in-law was a long time member of the Jockey Club (as a member of a syndicate, he even owned a small part of a race horse - can't tell you which part!). We ate there several times a week for lunch - wonderful food. One very good tradition is that in China (Hong Kong included) there is great respect and veneration for age. The waiters and the captain were always deferential. When he died at age 96 in 2013, my father-in-law was the oldest member (or one of the oldest) of the Jockey Club, and so was treated with great respect. Other long time members would come by his table to pay their respects and talk with him. They would be patient with him as he moved more slowly as he got older. Something lacking in the US.

Larry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My father-in-law was a long time member of the Jockey Club (as a member of a syndicate, he even owned a small part of a race horse - can't tell you which part!). We ate there several times a week for lunch - wonderful food. One very good tradition is that in China (Hong Kong included) there is great respect and veneration for age. The waiters and the captain were always deferential. When he died at age 96 in 2013, my father-in-law was the oldest member (or one of the oldest) of the Jockey Club, and so was treated with great respect. Other long time members would come by his table to pay their respects and talk with him. They would be patient with him as he moved more slowly as he got older. Something lacking in the US.

Larry

Fantastic story. Really fantastic. And yes, the food was remarkable from recollection, even after all these years.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It is now less than 2 weeks until the Hong Kong Audio show which I will be attending. I have never been to Hong Kong and am anxiously looking forward to this trip. Will be there from August 3-7 and then off to Manila for 5 days and then Palawan for a few days.Everyone says that this is a great shopping opportunity as well as fine dining

For those who have been to Hong Kong please list some of your favorite dining and shopping places that you would recommend

Cool Steve. You will love HK. I will also be at the show with a few Aussie's in the business.

Hope to see you there.

cheers

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve, if you have free time upon your arrival. zoom to HMV in Causeway Bay for your music selections. 3 floors with a cafe and bar. It's just 1 subway stop or a very short cab ridefrom Wan Chai. In this age of downloads, it's still good to walk around in a brick and mortar store. :)

20160624_221528.jpg 20160624_221740.jpg 20160624_221755.jpg 20160624_221857.jpg 20160624_221905.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Unlike the US, luggage trolleys are free at the HK airport. You roll your luggage right up to the door of the train. If you leave the trolley right there, someone will come and retrieve the trolley for you. At the other end, there will be a line of luggage trolleys right outside the train doors for you to use.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm so excited :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From the airport, I MUCH prefer to take the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station, and then take a taxi from Hong Kong Station to the hotel. It saves time as the taxi can take longer than the train.

+1.

The Airport Express is a high speed train that is INSIDE the airport, and you buy the tickets right in front of it. :) And then, when it arrives at the Hong Kong station, there is a free shuttle bus that will take you to selected hotels, and Grand Hyatt Wan Chai is one of them. This bus will make some stops to other hotels before your hotel (maybe 8 or 9), if you want a straight ride to your hotel, a cab is the best option as Gary mentioned. There are signs and info booths to help you find these.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

H2(To Fortress Hill & Wan Chai North)

Service hours 06:12 - 23:12(every 20 minutes)
Stop 7: Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Stop 8: City Garden Hotel
Stop 9: Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
Stop 10: HK Convention and Exhibition Centre
Stop 11: Renaissance Harbour View Hotel

Going back to the airport, you can just wait outside your hotel for the AE H2 Free bus, it will take you to the Hong Kong Airport Express station where you can do your CHECK IN right there and get your boarding pass, and your luggage will be collected right there too, leaving you with only your hand carried bags into the AE train and the airport itself. This is my favorite part of the service, as I always check in in the morning, and roam around the city the rest of the day not worrying about my luggage anymore. I just need to hop into the AE train at my convenient time as I already have my boarding pass and no need to queue for it inside the airport. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing