Recommendations for Dining And Shopping in Hong Kong

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Do they have steaks...like filet mignons in the Philippines, in Hong Kong? ...With baked potatoes, sour cream, bacon bits and Caesar salads? ...French wine...dry red? ...Poutines? ...Chicken vol-au-vents? ...French onion soups with French bread (baguettes)? ...Strawberrry angel cakes...quadruple decker? ...Italian ice cream with pistachios?

...Just something else than pigeons.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When we were on the speed boat from the airport to Lagen Jack told me where the Birds' Nest for the Bird's Nest Soup comes from. Glad I could never afford before I knew what it is :(. Another no for me however the best soup of the trip was the mashed watermelon soup in the restaurant Sam took us to. I've never had that before and I loved it

Bird's nest is tops on the potency food hierarchy of the Chinese. They are in the same group as dried scallops and abalone in providing strength for the seniors. My aunts would bring these foods to my father when he's feeling weak. They are available in Chinese drugstores and costs a lot to buy. When I was young, my mom would give me some of these after a basketball game and they don't even taste good. And what I learned of late, what is good for your health does not taste good. :D

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Do they have steaks...like filet mignons in the Philippines, in Hong Kong? ...With baked potatoes, sour cream, bacon bits and Caesar salads? ...French wine...dry red? ...Poutines? ...Chicken vol-au-vents? ...French onion soups with French bread (baguettes)? ...Strawberrry angel cakes...quadruple decker? ...Italian ice cream with pistachios?

Most definitely. I grill the steak at home. And boil the potatoes at home. but I can't cook them pigeons at home. :D

We were talking with Steve and the group over a meal that the hardest to digest was the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom set dinner. :D Digest in a matter of speaking.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Of course. All of the above.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm glad you guys took it the right way. :b And excellent that all type of good food is avail in Hong Kong. As for pigeon...I'll pass...for now. :b

We all love eating, it's one of the best life's pleasures. It goes well with fine wine and fine music and beautiful vistas and beautiful friends.
Thank you Steve and to your friends from overseas; I immensely enjoyed reading all the comments and viewing the pictures.
...One of the most fantastic turning points. ...Certainly for me here since WBF's creation.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm glad you guys took it the right way. :b And excellent that all type of good food is avail in Hong Kong. As for pigeon...I'll pass...for now. :b

We all love eating, it's one of the best life's pleasures. It goes well with fine wine and fine music and beautiful vistas and beautiful friends.
Thank you Steve and to your friends from overseas; I immensely enjoyed reading all the comments and viewing the pictures.
...One of the most fantastic turning points. ...Certainly for me here since WBF's creation.

FWIW Master Chef Jack on Thursday evening last week prepared all by himself a 7 Kgm boneless prime rib roast which I watched him age and dry in his fridge for 7 days before cooking it along with several other dishes which were continental in nature and far from any typical Asian cuisine. There's nothing lacking in the Philippines Bob----well one thing and that's the traffic which IMO is probably as bad as any I have seen anywhere. This was any day, every day and at all times. There was no relief from the traffic. The silver cloud was that everyone maintained their equanimity under stress and there was no road rage or honking of horns.

I was told that as an attempt to reduce cars on the roads, drivers whose license plates end in certain numbers are not allowed to drive their cars on particular days. What did the people do to get around this new law.......they bought 2nd and 3rd cars etc

Traffic is a nightmare there but the people take it in their stride and apart from slow traffic no one was honking their horn

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes but the good relieves are the quiet beaches of the scenic coast with the rock formations, the small islands, the palm trees, the unique vegetation, the wildlife, the blue waters of the ocean. Those pictures were a real treat and inspire me to visit those corners. The fish dishes I bet are some of the finest.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing